Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled across the HD800 pricing on Amazon, quite by accident, and was surprised that they're now a $1,000 pair of headphones:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-800-Reference-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001OTZ8DA&pd_rd_r=MA8B1CMNN9HTH2J6F13X&pd_rd_w=0JfnY&pd_rd_wg=9fxIy&psc=1&refRID=MA8B1CMNN9HTH2J6F13X

Guess I've paid very little attention to the entire HD800 S thing and had no sense that the tweaked model had devalued the original so dramatically. Or I guess, maybe that's just where the HD800 lines up now on a competitive basis with all of the new entries to the flied since 2009.

1 hour ago, Wmcmanus said:

I just stumbled across the HD800 pricing on Amazon, quite by accident, and was surprised that they're now a $1,000 pair of headphones:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-800-Reference-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001OTZ8DA&pd_rd_r=MA8B1CMNN9HTH2J6F13X&pd_rd_w=0JfnY&pd_rd_wg=9fxIy&psc=1&refRID=MA8B1CMNN9HTH2J6F13X

Guess I've paid very little attention to the entire HD800 S thing and had no sense that the tweaked model had devalued the original so dramatically. Or I guess, maybe that's just where the HD800 lines up now on a competitive basis with all of the new entries to the flied since 2009.

I've seen $1000 from other sellers, but not from Amazon.  My guess is that it's a combination of the two factors you mention.  

They started out at $1k, then Sennheiser realized they could get more money for them since nothing else in production was as good at the time so they increased it. Then everybody started bitching about the treble spike so they made the HD800S and dropped the HD800 price back down to $1k. The only difference between them acoustically is the added Helmholtz resonator to decrease the spike, and more bass distortion to make it sound warmer

Remember that the HD 800 came out right around the time that the Leegin case was decided by SCOTUS, which eased many of the restrictions on resale price maintenance.  Senn was being super aggressive with its retailers ($1399 or else), threatening to cut them off if they undercut their competitors, which Leegin permitted after decades of limitation.

2 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

Ah, that's probably what I'm (mis)remembering then, the time right before Sennheiser clamped down on resale price. Well, the good news is you can get an HD800 for cheap now and mod it to your liking (t-shirt mods and plankton notwithstanding)

No, I don't think that's what you are mis-remembering.

• Like 1

Anyone have any views on recent HD800 mods? I heard a few modded versions at a meet a couple of years ago and hated them. The mods reduced treble, yes, but they also muddied the mids and neutered the bass. Curious about the more recent iterations, especially since the 800S seems to just incorporate a mod (and throw in a balanced cable).

2 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

Anyone have any views on recent HD800 mods? I heard a few modded versions at a meet a couple of years ago and hated them. The mods reduced treble, yes, but they also muddied the mids and neutered the bass. Curious about the more recent iterations, especially since the 800S seems to just incorporate a mod (and throw in a balanced cable).

I am using the laziest version of the "French mod" (cut a Shure foamie to fit and stick it in the middle) and it's great.  I have heard no difference in sound beyond less tizz.  Completely reversible.  Hard to go wrong with it.  Along with an amp that really grips them, I love the HD-800 now.  My beloved vintage RS-1 gets almost no head time, now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jpelg said:

Newegg had them new for $899 briefly a few months ago. Any price south of $1k for a new pair has to be the best value in headphonedom, imo. Used deals like tkam's recent offer is even better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wow, $899 is cheap.  I guess I quit checking Newegg, a long time ago (I used to spend a lot of money there).  I'm on my third HD-800, and I'm enjoying the fact that the paint isn't chipping.  Did they finally fix the formula?  is the HD-800S painted black, or is it bare plastic?

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I'm not 100% sure that is cromulent.

Some of the mods make the sound rather gibbous, but I find the super dupont mod makes them sonically commensurate, homogenous and coterminous.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gepardcv said:

The original helmhotz resonator that tries to mimic the HD800S' as outlined in the Inner Fidelity article is definitely the most effective mod to kill the treble spike but without altering too much of the HD800's original sound. If I were to do it all over again I would just stick with the plain old HD800 and install this mod since to my ears they sound 97% the same as the HD800S.