Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

11 hours ago, The Monkey said:

I saw someone selling an HD800s making a big deal that they are serial number 1000. Is that a thing?

Only if the buyer buys it for that.  Me, I'd go for 13, 666, or 42, myself, 'cause that's just how I roll.  31416, in a pinch (just slightly trolly).  1618, also.  271828, perhaps...

My HD-800 has the full mod applied, now.  All I have to say is this: if you have a non-modded pair of HD-800 and you have a pair of Sure olive foams, just go ahead and do the mod with the foams.  You'll thank yourself for the 2 minutes of time.  If you don't have any Shure olive foams, you might as well get an "official" "resonator," from whatever source.  I'm not hearing a big difference between them, but either is definitely an obvious improvement over the stock phones. If you are stupid like me, you pay $20 for a pack of Shure Olives, and then $20 for a "full" mod. Don't be stupid like me.  

I've got my HD-800s on my head and I'm grinning.  That is what is important. I'd love to compare this to a pair of HD-800S, if anybody wants to send their pair to me.

My HD-800 is 29692, if anybody gives a shit.  I don't.  This is my third HD-800.  I plan on keeping this one.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Sorry but I don't sell them on ebay.  Direct sale only for anyone who asks  

From what I remember, there are two ebay offers. One in the US and one in Italy. Please, make me a favor and avoid and don't promote the Italian one. He didn't respect the CC-by-SA license and didn't credit me nor linked to the orginal thread on SBAF.  The US seller did respect the license :) 

Glad you're enjoying the mod though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sorrodje said:

Sorry but I don't sell them on ebay.  Direct sale only for anyone who asks  

From what I remember, there are two ebay offers. One in the US and one in Italy. Please, make me a favor and avoid and don't promote the Italian one. He didn't respect the CC-by-SA license and didn't credit me nor linked to the orginal thread on SBAF.  The US seller did respect the license :) 

Glad you're enjoying the mod though. 

I didn't mean to be an asshole.  Which is saying something, for me.  I would suggest putting some up on eBay.  I only bought from where I did because of my eBay coupon.  

• Like 1

No, no ebay for me and you're free to buy whereever you want. i'm not offended at all ;)  if i didn't want people to make them, I wouldn't have released it under CC-by-SA license.

Open source is just something I appreciate and promote and I much prefer people who respect it . that's it :) 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that, after listening to the "official non-official" version that I have, for over a week, it is better than the Shure Olive foamie mod.  The Shure Olive comes close, especially if you already have some and don't want to spend the money, but, well, the "real" mod fixes the phones.  Is this what the HD-800S sounds like?  If so, it's what the HD-800 should have been from the beginning.  Damn it sounds good.

Edited by EdipisReks1

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I have to say that, after listening to the "official non-official" version that I have, for over a week, it is better than the Shure Olive foamie mod.  The Shure Olive comes close, especially if you already have some and don't want to spend the money, but, well, the "real" mod fixes the phones.  Is this what the HD-800S sounds like?  If so, it's what the HD-800 should have been from the beginning.  Damn it sounds good.

The HD800S sound a tad warmer to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

HD800 Hard Case

I carry my 800's to studios sometimes and I didn't want to just throw them in a backpack.

I found a cheap case on eBay ($28.80) and got it the other day. 

It not like a flight case or anything but I think the headphones would survive anything short of someone sitting or stomping on the case.

It's about as compact as possible which is a big plus too.

So, if you need something like this, it's well worth the money IMHO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261621007693?rmvSB=true

Oh yeah,..

Free shipping from China to US west coast took ten days.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, n_maher said:

Ah, the good old Cardas Smurph cable.  That takes me back. 

Cardas must have coated the individual strand in this wire. They are difficult to solder. 

And yes, the wire is quite old, I am guessing somewhere between 6 - 10 years old if not older. 

Here is the FR for HD800 and HD800S included in the HD800 user manual which now comes in a thumb drive.  There is also an individual FR included for the particular headphone.  

HD800 800S FR.JPG

Edited by mwl168

• 2 months later...

Just joined a MassDrop order for Dekoni HD800 earpads. 

It was $49 this morning so it may go down a little.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with these but considering the Amazon price is $80 for the Senn replacements, I'll give 'em a shot.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd-800?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=69JPD7&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-12-25&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1514187367394.056221453049630832774918

Edited by ironbut
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ironbut said:

Just joined a MassDrop order for Dekoni HD800 earpads. 

It was $49 this morning so it may go down a little.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with these but considering the Amazon price is $80 for the Senn replacements, I'll give 'em a shot.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd-800?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=69JPD7&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-12-25&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1514187367394.056221453049630832774918

Ah, many thanks for this.