HD 700 - shipping now

John Willett

I missed them at the show in Tokyo yesterday. There was quite a queue of people waiting to try them. I might have thought to ask Sennheiser for a loaner pair for the show, but we had so much stuff in our shoebox-sized room I doubt we would have had much of a chance to listen to them anyway.

Knowing one aspect of the issues they have with the treble, which is annoyingly common nowadays, an engineer from one company joked to me yesterday that as he is getting older and losing his hearing, he appreciates the stronger treble in various headphones. That might explain much.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. It has been a while since I've heard such an excruciatingly bright headphone like the HD700, not since the age of DT990 I guess? Man, it makes the HD800's treble sounds like the LCD2 in comparison.

Indeed. It has been a while since I've heard such an excruciatingly bright headphone like the HD700, not since the age of DT990 I guess? Man, it makes the HD800's treble sounds like the LCD2 in comparison.

Did they change the HD700 at the line of scrimmage so to speak? Is this unit a newly released one that you're referring too? If so, then a major fail by Sennheiser.

There were rumours that Sennheiser delayed the released and went back and made some changes.

I've got a production unit coming in for "evaluation", but I doubt anyone here really cares about it.

It will be interesting to see the graphs of the pre-release and final versions.

OK. Got these in today. They sound like flashier HD800s with more slightly bass and also more 6k peakage, but with technicalities (speed, clarity, resolution, etc.) between HD650 and HD800. Overall treble is slightly less and HD800. There is also an apparent midrange suckout. Upper mids and treble are not even, so cymbals, high-hats, snares sound really odd and different depending upon recording. Because of the peaks, these cause me hearing damage at normal listening levels (low volume is OK.)

Measurements can be found at the usual places.

OK. Got these in today. They sound like flashier HD800s with more slightly bass and also more 6k peakage, but with technicalities (speed, clarity, resolution, etc.) between HD650 and HD800. Overall treble is slightly less and HD800. There is also an apparent midrange suckout. Upper mids and treble are not even, so cymbals, high-hats, snares sound really odd and different depending upon recording. Because of the peaks, these cause me hearing damage at normal listening levels (low volume is OK.)

Measurements can be found at the usual places.

About 5% of that sounds great.