Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Oh my...that's one of them! I may tap some help in Scotland to try and source...

That color!!!

Will try to find the one that was "Enhanced" in Port Wood too. Hope we can find that stuff again.

Thanks for the notes- loved the fruit too, was huge but never "too much" of anything (but good).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the official bottling of Mortlach 16? Looks like this.

The price is very reasonable and I'd like to try an official version before looking into the IB offerings. Binny's in particular has had a number of Signatory Mortlach's that I was interested in but didn't want to pull the trigger on without more experience. I wanna see what that "meaty, jammy" flavor is all about.

If I order that Flora and Fauna, I'm considering tacking on a shitload of Glenfarclas mini's. I can get 5cl samples of 10, 12, 15, 21, 25, 40, and 105 for a total of about $100 usd and have one hell of a good horizontal tasting to pinpoint my favorite in their lineup. Hopefully it's not the 40 because I'm pretty sure I'm not baller enough to import bottles > $300. 

Bryan,

If you're still looking for sherry-aged/finished after that, I'd recommend that you look into the Glendronach 15.  I think it slightly edges the A'bunadh for my favorite non IB sherry release.  Although not sherry, the Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask and the 17 Doublewood are both good.  I would recommend that you try before you buy on the last two, however.  If you're ever in Champaign, feel free to stop by and try some of my collection.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I will be buying a bottle of the 15 yr. revival at some point this year. Same offer to you as well - though I've got drastically more bourbon right now.

Jeff/emelius had asked Mikey about the new Bowmore 10 yr. Devil's Cask. I know a place that has several bottles and I think I'm going to buy one if it's around for another 3-4 weeks. It seems to hit the mark in most areas except for price and I'd really like to try an intense blending of peat and sherry.

I started a short wish list on Whiskybase to help me organize the various bottles I've asked Mikey about in the past and am targeting right now. 

Edit - Glenfarclas 105 comes in 3 versions as far as I can tell. Regular (no age statement), 20 year, and 40 year (which was a one-time deal and is absurdly expensive because they had to cherry-pick 2 or 3 casks that were still a high enough proof to blend to 60%).

Edited by Aura

I started a short wish list on Whiskybase to help me organize the various bottles I've asked Mikey about in the past and am targeting right now. 

Thanks for the link, I should make an account. I probably should keep track of them before I forget.  

I'm interested in the Hakushu, I saw a bottle of the 12yr here and it was wondering about it.  My first bottle of Japanese whiskey was Hibiki which I love.  My second bottle was Yamazaki 12yr which was good but didn't blow me out of the water. 

Bryan,

If you're still looking for sherry-aged/finished after that, I'd recommend that you look into the Glendronach 15.  I think it slightly edges the A'bunadh for my favorite non IB sherry release.  Although not sherry, the Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask and the 17 Doublewood are both good.  I would recommend that you try before you buy on the last two, however.  If you're ever in Champaign, feel free to stop by and try some of my collection.

Frank

I'm having the Glendronach 15 right now and it is very nice.  I like the Aberlour A'bunadh more though. 

I haven't been a huge fan of Balvenie so far. I got a sampler pack of the 12/15/21.  The 12 was fine, the 21 was better and the 15 I liked the most of the three but maybe not enough to buy a whole bottle.  It isn't too hard to get samples of the Balvenie stuff and I would probably do that before buying a bottle.  

Edited by shellylh

What distilleries/bottling would be the goto ones to sample the character of every Scotch region? I guess for Islay the one to sample (my own preference) would be Lagavulin 16, but I don't know for the other regions which ones summarize the distinctive features of each area, if that thing even exists.

Shelly,

Give it a little time, I think you'll like the Glendronach more.  Whisky definitely changes a lot after opening the bottle.

Torpedo,

It's really hard to get representative scotches for each region and I don't think there is such a thing.  For Campbelltown, I'd say Springbank.  For lowlands, Auchentoshan.  For Speyside, it's nearly impossible.  Maybe Mikey might have some advice.

HP is quite an oddball.  It has a little of everything.  If you want to lean a little bit smokier, I'd say go for an old Bunnahabhain, perhaps the 18.  If you want something a little more cleaner, fruitier, I'd say Oban 18.

I've never had the Laddie 16 but I'd imagine it would be along the same veins.

Edited by falkon

I haven't been a huge fan of Balvenie so far. I got a sampler pack of the 12/15/21.  The 12 was fine, the 21 was better and the 15 I liked the most of the three but maybe not enough to buy a whole bottle.  It isn't too hard to get samples of the Balvenie stuff and I would probably do that before buying a bottle.  

I bought it on a recommendation, so I suppose I should have searched for the samples first.  Thanks for the tip!  Jury is still out on it.  It's good, I'm just not sure if the sherry finish is what I was expecting.  

The Hibiki and Hakushu look interesting.  I'll have to hunt those down.