Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

I enjoy the Hibiki, it was a nice surprise for not big expectations.  I like the Yamazaki 12, too......just an easy sip......the Yamazaki 18 was a little sweeter as I remember, been a while; enjoyed that a lot for special drinking.

I have seen the Hakushu, but not recently; I'll have to see if my local guy can get a bottle....any thoughts on the "Heavily Peated" Hakushu versus the regular 12?

Edited by skullguise

I have seen the Hakushu, but not recently; I'll have to see if my local guy can get a bottle....any thoughts on the "Heavily Peated" Hakushu versus the regular 12?

I think Hakushu is easily better than Yamazaki. The peated version is a tad pricey but I'd go for it.

I just finished my bottle of Highland Park 18 and enjoyed every drop. Besides buying some more Highland Park 18 -- which I will -- what else should I consider in that sort of vein?

I love the HP 18 and will probably buy another bottle every time I run out.  Have you had Talisker 18 Stretch?  It isn't really like the HP but it is fantastic - one of my favorites! 

I just finished my bottle of Highland Park 18 and enjoyed every drop. Besides buying some more Highland Park 18 -- which I will -- what else should I consider in that sort of vein?

The Scapa and HP distilleries are neighbours, and while I've not tasted the HP18, the 12 is quite similar to Scapa 14. Not sure if they have any bottlings currently on offer though. Last time I went shopping for some, they were too shortstaffed to keep up with demand and there was no 14 anywhere (or so went the story anyway).

I love the HP 18 and will probably buy another bottle every time I run out.  Have you had Talisker 18 Stretch?  It isn't really like the HP but it is fantastic - one of my favorites! 

I love the Talisker 18 too, even the 10 is pretty good.  Just also put in an order for Hakushu 12 from my local guy.....the Peated version would be too pricey for now.....

Jeff/emelius had asked Mikey about the new Bowmore 10 yr. Devil's Cask. I know a place that has several bottles and I think I'm going to buy one if it's around for another 3-4 weeks. It seems to hit the mark in most areas except for price and I'd really like to try an intense blending of peat and sherry.

Short follow-up on this - I decided to call the Binny's that had it in stock, and sure enough they've sold more than half of the bottles they had just 2 weeks ago. So I put one on hold @ $89.99. I'm checking if Jeff's store still has any in case it would be cheaper, but I don't want to miss out on a bottle since it got Mikey's approval and is getting crazy good reviews online.

Todd - here's a decent review from a well-informed Belgian:

Edited by Aura