Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Depends on the expressions.  Are you talking about the Port Charlotte 10 year Heavily Peated vs. Bruichladdich Scottish Barley?  I would guess that they're probably in the same ballpark.  PC heavily peated will be a good smoky dram and the scottish barley should be very mild and floral.  If you can find Port Charlotte PC5,6,7,8,9, or 10, I'd highly recommend those.  If you haven't tried the Laddie Ten, I'd recommend that over all of the above.  It should be more mature and therefore flavorful and complex than the Scottish Barley and a good starting ground for exploring Bruichladdich.

Ordered some samples today:

• Bunnahabhain 24 Year Old 1988 (cask 4111) (Berry Bros. & Rudd)
  • GlenDronach Cask Strength - Batch 3
  • Glenfarclas 1988 Family Cask
  • Lagavulin 12 Year Old (2013 Special Release)
  • Lagavulin 1996 Pedro Ximénez Finish - Distillers Edition
  • Lagavulin 1997 Pedro Ximénez Finish - Distillers Edition
  • Longrow 18 Year Old
  • Springbank 18 Year Old Second Edition
The Bunny and Glenfarclas are birth-year drams and will be saved. Everything else is to sample before I make any further decisions on buying full bottles.
Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

This is somewhat expensive, but definitely less risk than buying full bottles that you haven't tried. I think the real value samples are for the $3-400 bottles where each dram is like $15-20. There is no bar anywhere I know of that would come close to this selection and if there was, similar pours would cost more.

This is more of a general whisk(e)y question than a scotch question.  I have a 6-bottle wine holder.  As it should for wine, the bottles are stored such that their tops (the cork end) are lower than the rest of the bottle.  Is there a problem with keeping bottles of whisky?  Or is it really important to store whisky bottles up right?

Do not store any bottle of any kind of whiskey on its side. The alcohol content is high enough that it will destroy your cork, cause a high loss of liquid volume in the bottle (due to the cork breaking down), and might ruin the flavor of the liquor. If you ever hear the term "corked", this is what that refers to.

Ordered some samples today:

• Bunnahabhain 24 Year Old 1988 (cask 4111) (Berry Bros. & Rudd)
  • GlenDronach Cask Strength - Batch 3
  • Glenfarclas 1988 Family Cask
  • Lagavulin 12 Year Old (2013 Special Release)
  • Lagavulin 1996 Pedro Ximénez Finish - Distillers Edition
  • Lagavulin 1997 Pedro Ximénez Finish - Distillers Edition
  • Longrow 18 Year Old
  • Springbank 18 Year Old Second Edition
The Bunny and Glenfarclas are birth-year drams and will be saved. Everything else is to sample before I make any further decisions on buying full bottles.

Good stuff.  I have a birth year 23 year old Highland Park from Signatory that I'm saving.