Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

• 1 month later...

Anyone else enjoying Four Roses as much as me? They are easily the most consistent American distillery I've come across. Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace certainly have their moments but Four Roses kills it every time, in my experience. I even find Yellow Label to be the first 80 proofer that's not a watery mess and has some surprising flavor to it.

Yep I am and have been a fan for a while - I went through a stage of getting many of the single barrel ones - with the different barrel/yeast variations. I slowed down my purchase of them of late. But when I run out of some of my other current stuff I will have no problem going back into the purchasing of various single barrel bottles. I like the variety that they offer. 

Cheers... 

• Like 1

Anyone else enjoying Four Roses as much as me? They are easily the most consistent American distillery I've come across. Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace certainly have their moments but Four Roses kills it every time, in my experience. I even find Yellow Label to be the first 80 proofer that's not a watery mess and has some surprising flavor to it.

What is wrong with me?  Oh yeah, I have never had any Four Roses...

• 2 weeks later...

Work is really slow today. Let's play with some 18 year olds!

PZk1PVP.jpg

Laphroaig 18 (48%) vs. Bunnahabhain 18 (46.3%) vs. Springbank 18 (46%) vs. Longrow 18 (46%) 

Notes:

Bunnahabhain 18

Neat:
Nose is clean and a tad sweet. Nutty. Honey. Touch of phenol. Grass.
Taste is almond butter. Light fruit acidity. Phenolic accent right at the close.
Finish is a bit short. Moderately dry. Continues the clean trend.

Springbank 18
Neat:
Nose is fruity and slightly older. Banana. Wood shavings. Ginger. Lemon oil.
Taste is thicker. Cigar. Lime. Cream. Slightly peppery.
Finish is moderate. Very dry. Bitter with more peat than in the taste.

Longrow 18
Neat:
Nose is moderate peat and extremely bright. Dusty. Perfume. Dandelion. Mandarin.
Taste is fruit rind. Sugar, almost confectionary. Umami. Moderate peat.
Finish is comparable to Springbank. Moderate to long. Very dry. Less bitter. More clean oak. Interesting phenolic flavors at the very end.

Laphroaig 18
Neat:
Nose is liberal, wet peat. Dank tobacco leaves. White Sugar. Candied fruit.
Taste is ash. Vanilla. Honey. A hint of pitted fruit.
Finish is the heftiest right at the beginning. Strong smoke. Not too dry.

If I were to rank them, I would probably go Longrow > Laphroaig > Bunnie > Springer. The Longrow was the most memorable and the most drinkable. The Springer was forgettable and I would easily pick the 12 year Cask Strength over it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another peaty showdown!

Malt 1:

Ginger. Tea leaves. Softly. Phenolic.

Malt 2:

Sherry. Caramel. Iodine. Ash.

Malt 1 is surprisingly fresh in the nose. Aged oak balances pretty well with citrus and a cleaner smoke (if such a thing exists). Malt 2 is brash and richer. Certainly more kick and I would drink this more sparingly.

What were these drams?

...but Lagavulin 16 and Oogie, of course.

post-844-1423008362289_thumb.jpg

• Like 1