Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Well I officially struck out on Van Winkle this year. My one connection that looked like a sure bet (been on a list since July) didn't pan out and I had no interest in scrounging at random stores. It's fitting though. My perspective is that it is time to move on from the "Limited Edition" scene in American whiskey. Four Roses' old master distiller (Jim Rutledge) is retired now and his last LE contribution has been released... and as for all other LE's, most are not worth the price and none are worth the hassle. I've tried too many of the recent releases and spent too much money to think otherwise. Stuff like Booker's, Four Roses Single Barrel, Elijah Craig 12, and (of course) Turkey 101 represent what American whiskey should be.

If you like scotch, now's a good time. Things sure are expensive but in many cases more justified than American equivalents. And it's a lot easier to find things here in the states. Bottles that fly off the shelves in the UK linger in my Chicago stores for months, if not years. I've got some specific single malts I need to explore but I am most interested and excited about grains and blends. Compass Box just released two new bottles in the states - "This is not a luxury whisky" and Flaming Heart 15th Anniversary. Both got some great feedback and Flaming Heart's mix of malts sounds fantastic.

One random thought - I discovered why I love Black Bull 12 so much (may it RIP). Apparently there was a significant amount of ~20 yr Mortlach in the blend. MUST buy a few more bottles of it while it's still on shelves.

• Like 4

Speaking on behalf of Mikey but he said he preferred HP25 to HP30....

I haven't had Pulteney but Colin absolutely loved the 17 yr...

That whiskyfun website I linked in my post above is amazingly detailed and useful. Mikey's pal Serge runs it, and while his notes are crazy (and border snobby), the dude knows whisky. Most whisky you'd want feedback on is probably scored somewhere by Serge.

• Like 1

I'm with you guys. Tired of it. Thanks for the tip, Bryan! But after you texted me this week, I wasn't excited at all to go on the chase. That night, I realized like you all that I'm no longer interested in playing that game, and would rather know about the reasonably priced (HC) gem that's not so impossible to find.

• Like 1

I use to really like the OP21 (port finish). But it has been years. I use to drink it when it was under $100 a bottle. I cannot vouch for the current bottlings and no clue if it is worth the current price.

You are correct naaman. HP25 is subtle, 18 is a better drinker. Is the 30 worth the extra over the 25? Well for me no, but a bottle of 30, that you have a little but over years can really come alive. First out of a new bottle I found a little harsh, with some burnt notes. As it oxidats over years, those things can integrate into some lovely things. But I have a lot of open bottles for years. So I get to play this game.

Yeah and Serge at whisky fun is a great source. I don't agree with all his notes and ratings, but they are honest and true to what he tasted.

Probably should have jumped on the BB40 bandwagon. Oh well - I think I will be fine. [emoji482]

In my search to find this year's Sazerac 18, one place recommended Willett 8 yr Single Barrel Rye over Sazerac 18.  Does anybody have an opinion on the Willett?

The Willett is very good.  I would guess that Sazerac 18 might be better but it has been way too many years since I have had it. 

While we're all here, HP 30 versus HP 25 worth the splurge? And any thoughts on Old Pulteney 21? Ah thank yew.

I have gone through a couple of bottles of the OP21. Off to try some before I write more...It's good, but subtle. If it isn't expensive and you're not looking for a flavor punch to the mouth I would give it a try.