Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

• 7 months later...

Although I like a dram of single malt whisky couple times a week, I've only paid between £30 to £40 a bottle, however after a good friend told me a more expensive whisky can taste smoother and less harsh, I thought I'd get one around £120.

The one I got seen in the two photos is a 27 year old Blair Athol, and it does seem to taste smoother less harsh, but has a nice warm after feeling.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Therefore, from now on rather than get whisky between £30 to £40, I'm going to start spending £100 to £200 on a bottle with my next one probably being either Ardbeg 1990, or Glenmorangie Astar. 

Another one that reads it's very smooth with no harshness is  Balvenie 21 year old single malt.

Glenmorangie is from the Highland region, Ardbeg's from Islay, and Balvenie's from Speyside. ?

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Glad you figured this out. Yes, it's possible for something more expensive to actually merit the additional cost. Best of luck finding the Schiit Whiskey of your dreams!

Like I mentioned, it was a good friend that suggested a more expensive whisky, so I didn't figure it out.

Also, in me spending more for a bottle, it'll mean I'll only be getting 2 or 3 bottles a year.

Signatory had a large(r) run of sherried Blair Athol casks offered up as various store/retailer selections the last 12-16 months. The Whiskey Exchange has one, K&L had at least two, etc. I think they're at the end of that run now so anyone interested will want to move quickly...

It occurred to me I haven't posted any tasting notes in a while. I'll correct that once we've moved and I open new things.

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

Glad you figured this out. Yes, it's possible for something more expensive to actually merit the additional cost. Best of luck finding the Schiit Whiskey of your dreams!

We could start a thread with that motto: "the Schiit Whiskey of your dreams (under 150 bucks)" then we tell ours. Not sure what would be mine, no experience with that many whiskeys, maybe Lagavulin.

• Like 1

Signatory had a large® run of sherried Blair Athol casks offered up as various store/retailer selections the last 12-16 months. The Whiskey Exchange has one, K&L had at least two, etc. I think they're at the end of that run now so anyone interested will want to move quickly...

It occurred to me I haven't posted any tasting notes in a while. I'll correct that once we've moved and I open new things.

Interested, but last time I lived in Texas, K&L wouldn't ship here :/

5 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Interested, but last time I lived in Texas, K&L wouldn't ship here :/

Well anyone with a Headcase platinum membership can have just about anything shipped to just about anywhere. :)

Hearsay of course as I have never participated in any of those shenanigans.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aura said:

Signatory had a large(r) run of sherried Blair Athol casks offered up as various store/retailer selections the last 12-16 months. The Whiskey Exchange has one, K&L had at least two, etc. 

The Whisky Exchange is where I got that Blair Athol from, and after reading reviews on different whiskies I put some on my wish list on that site.

Now I'm more of a beer, lager drinker, and it's only recently I've started drinking whisky more often, whereas before I drank it occasionally.

49 minutes ago, johnwmclean said:

Hang on Dave... you should be downing the cheap stuff, and put the savings aside for the Carbon. ;)

I agree John I should carry on getting the cheaper whisky to save for your Carbon build, but that Blair Athol tastes so much better than the less expensive stuff i've had.

So regarding your Carbon build,  as you know I was going to get the new building completed which included a new kitchen fitted in it, as well as other home improvements before the Carbon, but because that new kitchen can wait I'll just have the roof + windows and door fitted to that new building, which means I'll probably ask you to build me that Carbon sometime next year. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Most Scottish whiskey distilleries are pretty remote. This one was, well in the middle of nowhere. And yes - the weather was pretty much solid rain all day. In fact that was the first day, from Milngavie (pronounced Mulgei) to Drymen (pronounced Drummen) of about 12 miles.

We didn't get the chance to visit the distillery (boo hoo), but you can just about make out the path to it, going in the direction of the end of the warehouses. Just think of all the nectar stored in those warehouses!

Edited by Craig Sawyers

On 10/31/2017 at 10:45 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

I like Elijah Craig, but not sure I'm ready to go to the $130 or $200 mark yet.

Also, when I drank beer, my favourite beers were from Colorado -- I think it was the water.  Well, I just saw a Colorado whisky, Stranahan's -- any good?

100089_0_1_2.jpg

I also saw a honey rye -- any good?

468-thickbox_default.jpg

I didn’t see any response so...I have no idea about the honey, but I am quite familiar with Stranahan’s...

Last I heard, Stranahan’s shared a complex with Tin Cup...Tin Cup is whiskey from Indiana (MGP) that is shipped to Colorado, bottled, then shipped all over (including back to us here in Indiana)...Stranahan’s, however, uses their own juice...It is, obviously, young whiskey...They do, however, have a 4yo whiskey called Diamond Peak which has a black label & a lofty price...

Much like the Taiwanese whiskeys (like Kavalan), Stranahan’s claims that their product matures at a different rate due to environmental factors...In Stranahan’s case, their claim is elevation & the use of a temperature controlled facility...

I like regular Stranahan’s (yellow) a lot...It’s a great choice if your goal is smooth, pleasant, unoffensive etc....& I like that they hand bottle & have the bottlers write a couple/few words about themselves &/or what music they were listening to on the label...

Anywho, at the end of the day it’s overpriced like all young whiskeys, but it’s towards the front of the pack in the category...It can usually be found cheapest online...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My tastes have actually bifurcated since I started.  I used to exclusively like smooth pleasant unoffensive -- Kilbeggan, Angel's Envy, Glenrothes -- I find all of these extremely easy drinking.  

But lately I've also enjoyed Smooth Ambler Contradiction, Whistle Pig (bespoke blend for Perfect Pour, but it's very similar to the 12 year old world cask finish; as well as the 10 year rye), and Hudson 4 Grain, but unfortunately my palate isn't developed enough that I can tell you what it is I like about them, just that they're not as smooth and inoffensive as the above.

And there's a complicating factor -- some whiskeys give me a hangover, almost like an allergic reaction (same amount of whiskey, same hydration and food circumstances, so yes, I'm sure it's the whiskey).  Birddog, in particular.  Tasted fine going down, but I won't ever be drinking that again.

Thanks for the offer, would love to hear some suggestions.

And cheers and likewise to you and yours.

• 3 weeks later...