Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

I have not - If it is low enough price - it maybe worth giving a try - otherwise I would stick with Plantation Rums. 
Samaroli is a great bottler (they just got out of my price range for whisky) 

They would be part of a trade deal, so having to put a price on them. What would you expect for example a Samaroli Caol Ila 1998 Vintage (“Singles Collection") to go for? I could use that to tease out the street value of the rum. I haven’t tried any non HC Cuban rums, both Samaroli and Cadenhead seem to have some.

• 1 month later...

Wigle doesn't seem to have a great fan base, unless you're from hometown of Pittsburgh.  One of the reviews used the word "stale" twice, not too endearing....

Read a couple reviews of Barrell and it seems interesting, if a bit strong/potent.....may be pricey for what it is though.  Did you get what batch it was?

4 hours ago, Voltron said:

Unless you are in favor of reducing the use of pesticides in the environment generally -- which I think us a good goal -- I'm not sure why you are interested in organic whiskey. The distillation process seems to equalize purity levels. Just curious. 

Yeah, not sure.  I mean, it's some of that whole fair trade/sustainable thing, but also I've had good luck with the WhistlePig Farmstock, and although they don't mention that it's organic, it kinda is.  I guess with people who claim to do something organically (or Halal, where food is concerned), I am of the belief (whether true or not) that they do things with just a bit more care than otherwise, and I feel that the cleanliness of the system is a big factor in the taste of the thing, just like beer, wine, and everything else.  Yeah, nothing so selfless as reducing pesticides, although I don't mind helping the environment, the motivation is much more selfish.  I just want better, but I am wary enough to know that "organic" is not -- in and of itself -- necessarily so.  Hence why I asked.

don't know anything about wigle.

barrell has made a decent name for itself as an independent, non-distilling producer - similar to the willetts and smooth amblers of the world. yes, they are expensive and you will never know the exact source. but everything is cask strength, non chill-filtered, and most seem to have a decent age (7-10 years even where they do a blend). i personally have passed on them at retail because they're not quite a good enough value compared to four roses private selections, elijah craig barrel proof, even newer stagg jr. batches. one other cool thing about barrell is they've done a few different tennessee whiskeys for single barrel bottlings (most likely sourced from george dickel) which is highly unique for an independent bottler and they've have started to bottle rye and rum, both of which i heard were decent.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

important things people - don't that tonight is Burns Supper. one of these years i'm gonna find a way to have proper haggis... but instead i'll just be doing some combination of ledaig, ardbeg, and bowmore sans Scottish food fare.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/burns-night-haggis-address-poem-2018-robert-burns-scotland-poet-a8175671.html

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, probably going back down there next weekend, will buy if it is still there.

They had Stagg Jr. -- that's a good one, too, innit?

I took pictures.  It's not quite as great a selection as Perfect Pour, but it's up there.

I ended up getting two more bottles of Farmstock.

And you were right about the 12 year -- even the second bottle wasn't as smooth as the first.  Still good, just different.  I will try to make it last a little longer.

Thanks for the comments, by the way.  Is there a place for whisk[e]y like there is RateBeer for beer?  That I can look up things like "peaty" or not.

yeah the only Stagg Jr I’ve personally bought was batch 1 and it was straight jet fuel. i’ve tried later batches and it’s much better now.

Reddit bourbon (/r/bourbon) has a google doc archive of thousands of user reviews - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X1HTxkI6SqsdpNSkSSivMzpxNT-oeTbjFFDdEkXD30o/edit#gid=695409533&fvid=484110565

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1