Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

• 1 month later...

I know I've probably asked this question before, but I'm buying some new glasses for the house and I'm wondering what to go with for whisky consumption.

Glencairn, Riedel-shape, tumbler, all of the above?

I have one of the Riedel's now and I really like the thin glass, but I don't find the shape all that visually pleasing and as a predominantly wine drinker I have no idea where to grip a glass with such a short stem.

On 3/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, Aura said:

learn the art of the bottle lip. no glasses nor shirts required.

^^ this... 

... and Glencairn's (lots of Glencairn's) -- They are not the best glass that I have ever tried - but they are probably the best overall balance of nose (mine fits mostly in the glass) - palate delivery (whisky makes it in my mouth, most of the time) - and durability (I have had them bounce off concrete floor and I grabbed it out of the air on the up travel).  

... and they are everywhere - one of the main reasons that I use them is consistency - if I go to a tasting or event - they have them too - so at least the glass is the same for all whisky. 

cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm quickly discovering that purchasing whisky is nearly as much fun as drinking it. Those enablers at K&L certainly don't make it easy to say no with their reasonable prices and delivery right to my office. Our local costco also has a pretty decent selection with costco-like prices.

Bought a couple or Norlan glasses and copitas to mess around with. I dislike how much contact my fingers make with the bowl of glencairns, so it'll be interesting to see how these two perform given they take different approaches to solving that problem.

norlan.jpg

Copita.jpg.d3c418f9543382349f308e1490cbd

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

The Norlan is an interesting glass (we have a set) - It is a good design - I didn't like the way the lip hits my lip (inset joke). We use them for other drinks now. 

whisky is fun!

I'm bummed I only started really getting in to it after you left the bay area!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Koval single barrel rye whisky?  Flaviar keeps recommending it based on my cart.

The guy at Lady's Liquors recommended Sagamore Spirit Vintner's Finish and High West Distillery the 36th Vote Barreled Manhattan (made with rye whisky and vermouth).  Worth trying?

He also wanted me to try a cask strength something, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet (possibly not ever).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Was that the whole shelf? Not much to get excited about to my mind. High West Rendezvous Rye used to be a regular rye for me. I don't like most of their other expressions. You might like Bourye as a bourbon-rye mix. Similarly Basil Hayden Two by Two is a blend. I think Knob Creek  Rye has a pretty good bite like their bourbon. 

I dislike these, or think they are not worth buying:

Hudson Manhattan

Templeton

Michters (most of them)

Russell's Reserve

• Like 1

Yeah, Virginia ABC stores are run by the government, and it shows in their selection -- and not only that, every store has the exact same selection (more or less).   That was all their ryes, or rather, all the brands that had rye as a choice.  They didn't have the Basil Hayden 2x2, just the dark rye and the regular stuff.

Thanks, will try the High West Rendezvous Rye (they also had something called double rye) and ... Knob Creek had a rye and a cask strength rye.  I'll probably stick with the pussy strength.

Catoctin Creek and Copper Fox are local whiskeys.

Knob Creek is a reasonable value rye if you can get it at a discount.  Costco here had a double bottle for $40 (or maybe it was $45).  Jim Beam Pre-prohibition Rye is the exact same whiskey with less aging.  It has a bigger bite but it's not as smooth as KC.

I had a bottle of Copper Creek thanks to Jacob.  It wasn't bad but the attempt to use wood pieces to "insta-age" it made the whisky taste a bit confused.  I'd look elsewhere unless you're getting a great price.