Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Catoctin isn't half bad if I remember right. Had it a long time ago in San Francisco, seem to recall it was slightly toned down from something like Willett Family Estate 2-3 year (actual Willett distillate, not the old MGP they sourced) but still in the same spectrum. I think Catoctin also does a limited cask strength bottling and I would buy that if I saw it (unlikely in IL though). 

Knob Creek Cask Strength 2009 is good. One of the best values in rye in the last few years considering anything of a similar age and proof is now $150+ (see Kentucky Owl). Naaman originally recommended it to me, and I took my bottle to Jeff's to compare to an old Willett FE 5 year rye. It's more a bourbon than a rye in some respects, like Rittenhouse in a way. But that's just how Beam does rye. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Aura said:

in for Cali Costco group buy on Laga 16... (also not in Illinois for that price). 

also if you’re feeling ardbeg 10, uigeadail (oogie) in the $60 range doesn’t have too much direct competition for the value for sherried islay. 

Dang, local Cali BevMo has Oogie for $83 ☹️

On the bright side, it seems in Cali, Costco membership is not needed to buy just alcohol, so let me make a strip soon..

On 10/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

I think you've confused CostCo with WalMart...

Puwhaaaha!

Turns out BevMo has Lava 16 LISTED at ridiculous $99.99 but has it on sale for $62.99 currently.  Used the $10 BevMo coupon to buy 2 bottles.  

Lava 16 is exactly what I've wanted, peat and smoke with complexity and sweetness.  Also feels higher in alcohol content than stated 43% ?

This Scotch/Bourbon thing could erode into my audio budget...  I'm afraid to go deeper and $$$.

Laga16.jpg

BTW, what's the feeling on adding few drops of water to Scotch?

I do it successfully mostly to high proof bourbons, 115-120 proof at least, but Scotch starts out lower in proof anyway..

Edited by Jon L
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised how quickly I took to "neat" (especially considering how much of a lightweight I am), but I won't judge.  Dew et, and don't feel guilty about it.

Also, I don't like the taste of my water.  So that's a big factor.  My tea was inferior (to where I previously lived), my coffee is inferior (compared to making it at work), I'm sure ice or water with whisk(e)y will be inferior as well.

"what's the feeling" - I have no feelings.. :)

I only have any issues with when you get down to the 40% whiskies - adding water technically makes it not whisky anymore (under proof). 

But --- !! for sampling and critical tasting, it can have merit (drops of water that is). There are many esters in scotch (esters=yummy bits) - some of them are alcohol soluble (yay) and others  are water soluble (meh), so adding a few drops of water can release those esters without changing the base characteristics of the whisky in hand (I have had plenty of scotch over 60% (120 proof)) ,  if water has been previously added (i.e. bottle strength releases - 43, 46, 50% abv) then those esters are already out of the bag (bag = cast strength whisky). So adding water does not gain those benefits,  but in some cases it can make it more palatable. But there are may cases were adding any water makes things horrible (case of a 15yo Bowmore from OMC at 50% - any drop of water made it taste of ash, and the more water you added, the worse it got, solution=drink it straight from the bottle :) ).

..have fun with the Laga 16... 

• Like 2

After further experimentation, I'm sticking to NEAT with Scotch.  

I revisited Johnnie Walker Blue, which my dear friends/family (who are not "whiskey people") sometimes gift me on occasion.  

I must confess I'd rather drink a good cask-strength bourbon over Blue...

As far as Scotch goes, where I have less experience than Bourbon, I believe I am strictly an Islay lover.  I'd much rather drink Ardbeg 10 or Lava 16 over non-Islay single malts I've tried in past, such as Glenfiddich 12 or McCallan 12.  

Is there a must-try non-Islay single malt I am missing out on?   

BlueLabel.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

Highland Park.

This ... ^^

"Is there a must-try non-Islay single malt I am missing out on?" - Yup - but I would rather see you explore more of what you like.

It kind of sounds like you are into peat - lots to play with on Islay (and off)

There are the blends - Peat Monster and Big Peat, etc.

And the Non-Islays - all can be good. 

• Longrow - Peated version of Springbank 
  • Legaig - Peated version of Tobermory
  • BenRiach - has Peated (and good) expressions
  • Jura - some Peated expressions

"I must confess I'd rather drink a good cask-strength bourbon over Blue..." - so would I in most cases. 

• Like 1

^in support of the blends Mikey listed, Compass Box Flaming Heart is generally a must-try. Latest edition should just be hitting shelves in the US.

--

for non-islay and non-peaty, here's a random listing of some of my target malts based on the dominant flavors that i usually pull from them...

sweet (in a general way) - benrinnes, glenfarclas, longmorn, mortlach

waxy, fruity - clynelish

salty, briny - old pulteney, talisker

tangy, funky - kilkerran, springbank / longrow

Edited by Aura
  • Like 2

I had nothing better to do today...so I decided to blend my own version of High West Campfire, a mix of peaty scotch, bourbon, and rye.

I must say, this is DeLiCious?

Lovely peaty smoke starts the show and finishes it, with honey sweet bourbon in the middle, with a rye kick somewhere in mid-middle.

Next time, I will try a "real" rye instead of 51% rye Rittenhouse.

Campfire.jpg

Edited by Jon L
  • Like 4