Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Had some Shieldaig this evening with my father.  Read some decent reviews, some good, some bad.  Shieldaig is a bottler, not a distiller, so they apparently buy lots of scotch and sell it under their own label.  This was the 18 year Speyside.

It has a spicy start, with a slight woodsy flavor.  Quite smooth with a fruity finish.  Not sweet fruity, but some flavor I can't pin down.  I wasn't sure if I liked the finish or not, but it's smooth enough that I believe the aging value.  Next time around I'll add a few drops of water and see where it goes from there.  

Not what I was expecting, but definitely interesting.  

• 1 month later...

Whisky changes with time after opening due to oxidation.  However, it is minimal if you leave it closed all the time.  Also, there is very little oxygen when the bottle is nearly full.  The effect is greatest as the alcohol level decreases. Open it up and drink it. As you do, you'll notice it changing a bit. Don't worry about it, just drink.

Also, I'd agree that Laga 12 is the best of the bunch (haven't had Bruichladdich 16 but had others in the range) but it's not necessarily your cup of tea if you don't love peat.  If you're not experienced with peat, start cheaper.  If you know you like peat, then go for it!

Other recommendations in the price range: Macallan 17 Fine Oak, Springbank 18, Highland Park 18, Yoichi 15, Hibiki 17.  If feeling adventurous, try some independent bottlers. Been salivating over this for weeks: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-21598.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, June 14 from 3-5pm
Ardbeg Scotch Tasting

In 2009, Jim Murray's Whisky Bible named Ardbeg Uigeadail 'World Whisky of the Year' - in praise of its "utter silky brilliance" and "complexity on a level only a handful of distilleries in the world can even dream of reaching." We will also be pouring the new Ardbeg Auriverdes.

@ The Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD -- Jeff, Colin, you wanna go?

If they ship to you.. one of the best prices..

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1011309

Seemed interesting, but they wouldn't ship to Florida.  But then there are ways.  Mr. Google is my friend.  He helps me spend money... and wouldn't you know, you can get free shipping if you buy 2 bottles at this place!

http://www.wiredforwine.com/featured-wine/ardbeg-uigeadail-single-malt-whisky

Never pass up a deal.  $12 savings...

• 3 weeks later...

It had been a while since I checked up on Black Bull. Apparently, the 30 year is no longer. Not listed on their current lineup and looks pretty scarce on wine-searcher. Wondering if I should have bought an extra to bunker, but way too late now.

There are 2 new entries - a 21 year that was market-tested in late 2013 as a limited edition. Straight oak which is a shame as that now means there is no 100% sherried current production Black Bull. The other entry is a younger bottle called Kyloe. It's not age-stated and I couldn't find exactly what malts are in it beyond its description as "specifically speyside". Not even sure it retains the 50/50 ratio of grain and malt that the 12 year has.

I bring all this up because Black Bull has returned to Illinois! Will hopefully buy a Kyloe and another 12 year when my budget starts cooperating :).

Edited by Aura

The good thing about the 12 year is I'm pretty confident it's sticking around for a while now that it's been restocked. The "premium" blended scotch category is really bastardized and has a bad reputation from single malt snobs and newbies who think all blends are like Johnny Walker Red Label.

The 40 year actually never went out of stock at a few select stores. It's priced high enough and is obscure enough of a label that it doesn't really move. Have any of us tried it? I've heard some pretty stellar things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some quick impressions of Japanese juice from a project dinner last night - 

• Hibiki 12 - definitely a more interesting pour than I recall from Yamazaki 12. Initially it was a little weak and had a strong grain note, but it really opened up into focused, sweet vanilla. Soft fruits and clean oak underneath. Very little in the way of smoke. Much more of a Lowland or zero-peat Campbeltown, and coincidentally reminded me of Black Bull.
  • Hakushu Heavily Peated - totally brash. This is the Japanese Laphroig, no doubt about it. No rounded, balancing sweetness like you'd get in an Ardbeg. Straight iodine and campfire. It's good, but no way this is worth the premium price.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...