Do I need a new DAC?

Folks, been out frm this stuff for more than 1 year UNTIL Justin reminded me to pay up the balance for the BHSE. TBH, been considering for a refund since already quite content with what I have now and moving onto other hobby. But as soon as Justin posted the finished amp as per my order @the other site, my heart melted. Got drawn again into this mess.

Currently I'm running KGSS+007mk2 with Stello DA100 on USB and been a happy camper for the last 2 years. With the arrival of BHSE (and the departure of KGSS), you guys think I have a reasonably good source? For the past 1 year the improvement of DAC seems very tremendous to me, theres W4S, NADM51, Eximus, Audio God Ref 1 to 7,, PSA PWD, and the list goes on. That makes my mid range Stello looks like a doorstop now. I did try out Eximus DP1 yesterday at some local meet and got away impressed. But at 3k ,bit too steep for me.

I have a Neko D100 but i dont like the sound as its too dark due to lack of gain (which I believe is fixed on the mk2) and its been collecting dust. Question now is that say if I shelled out another 2k to upgrade my source, would it be a vast improvement over my meager Stello DA100? OR should I be left content with it? Thanks all in advance for the inputs.

I would try both DAC with the BHSE before deciding what to do. Will Neko upgrade the D100 to the Mk2 for an affordable price?

I have the Stello DA100 signature in my bedroom rig and think it's a very nice DAC, but it's a little less detailed and spacious than my PS Audio PWD. It's a little more laid back sounding than my old Apogee mini-DAC, but overall just as enjoyable for my needs. And it pairs very well with my KGSS and SR-009. I would in never say that the DA100 isn't good enough to enjoy with a high-end stat rig, but you won't extract everything from the recording that's there. (Blutarsky needed a DAC that acted as a pre-amp, so he traded for my Apogee and worked out a good deal with me for the DA100 Sig and his AV123 speakers.)

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to bring this back up again. dont feel like making new thread. been reading lately a lot about m2tech evo (plus the PS and reclocker) or audiophilleo. will this improve my rig over my current trends audio ud10.1? fyi, i cant audience these converter so its either i pull the trigger and face the consequences.

options are:

evo the whole lot (usb/spdif converter, psu, external clock) : around 1200

audiophilleo 2 + dc psu (pure power is the fancy name): 1k

OR just buy battery and charger fr the trends audio : around $40 amd run with dc hoping (fwir) a better sq

anyone have listened or experience this? appreciate any thoughts. rig remains the same as stated above comp -> usbspdif -> coax -> neko mk1 or stello da100 -> balance -> bhse -> 009/007

Edited by forbigger

Sorry I just noticed this thread (been busy and wasn't stopping by HC as often as I used to). An Mk2 upgrade is possible as the only difference is the output transformers. If you'd be interested in having it done, shoot me a PM or email.

FWIW, there is a thread over in HF about using and Audiophileo with the D100 Mk2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/606716/audiophilleo-vs-hiface-evo-my-findings-or-the-lack-thereof

thanks Wes. Do you mind to divulge it here in the forum regarding the upgrade cost? Im sure some of the members here also own the Mk1 and may want to upgrade to Mk2. And I'm sure the mods here wouldnt mind too

Back to my questions above, no impression or comments from all of the folks here? Guess its a nay for the first and second choice

Edited by forbigger

• 2 weeks later...