Portable headphone angst

Beefy

7184619814_bf98916189_b.jpg

New Stax portable. Uses two AA batteries from what I saw.

The only IEMs I've liked so far have been the new Sony XBA series. They have a range of tips including ones with bits of foam in them for better isolation. I tend to dislike IEMs otherwise, mainly because of the recent trend to have a screeching treble. The only thing I don't like about the XBA-3 and 4 is that the weird crossover design gives them up to 90 Ohms impedance in the treble, which doesn't play nicely with some gear. They are fine with my iPhone 4S though.

Do you need headset/mike? I reckon a portable headphone is about half about good ergos. If you need it for phone duties I'd say the M-80. but cable noise gets in the way of calls outgoing voice sometimes due to the cloth covered cable. Still, I really like them. The P5 is awesome if you're not looking for grreat sound. The sound good enough without fatal failings, but the ergos as a headset is stellar, no cable noise, and spanky good looks and feel. Isolation is amazingly good as well for an on-ear phone .... comfy too.

Very disappointed at the lack of random insults. You are all way too helpful! smile.png

Fucking n00b, all that shit can be found at InnerFidelity.com!

Yup, I've often said......

Very helpful, thanks Larry. I can knock the HD25 off my list then.

I still can't bring myself to spend money on new IEMs though. The risk of something else that I cannot get comfortable is just something I won't take.

Fucking n00b, all that shit can be found at InnerFidelity.com!

Indeed! Reading your Earpad Sealed Wall of Fame definitely helped me get to this point. But I suppose I am really looking for good reasons, or unconsidered options, to stop me from impulse-buying the DT1350.

Local pickup, good pricing, good isolation, balanced sound is a pretty compelling for laziness and instant gratification......

As far as IEM's go, I tried a ton and settled on the Klipsch X5/X10 based upon the comfort and fit of the ear pieces alone. They have an oblong shape that just really fits the ear correctly. I can (and do) wear them for hours at a time without any comfort issue what so ever. They only thing that fits better is my custom Westone ear plugs. If comfort and portability is key, the Klipsch ear piece design is hard to beat.

The 1350 is also a great choice, but, no where near as small and portable, however, they sound good and isolate extremely well. Surprisingly well. Just be sure to experiment with fit and placement before you make a decision on keeping them. They take a while to get used to finding the correct positioning. Once you find it, it becomes easier to recreate consistently, but, those first few times can be challenging and somewhat frustrating. Also be advised, as on-ear, they also have long term comfort issues. It really depends upon how sensitive your ears are to having pads directly upon them.

Edited by jdkJake

The 1350 is also a great choice, but, no where near as small and portable, however, they sound good and isolate extremely well. Surprisingly well. Just be sure to experiment with fit and placement before you make a decision on keeping them. They take a while to get used to finding the correct positioning. Once you find it, it becomes easier to recreate consistently, but, those first few times can be challenging and somewhat frustrating. Also be advised, as on-ear, they also have long term comfort issues. It really depends upon how sensitive your ears are to having pads directly upon them.

Yeah, trading off ear canal comfort versus pinna comfort might not be ideal...... but it is a lot easier to take a quick 1 minutes break with earpad headphones than removing and re-inserting IEMs.

Customs would probably alleviate this, but I just don't want the risk.

Actually the HD-25 sounds a lot like the HE-60 ...

Not sure if serious......?

I'd place them right between a HD650 and SR80i, only closed.

That is an enormous continuum between two phones that sound nothing alike to my ears......

Serious: IMO the HD-25s do not sound much like the MS-1 at all.

OK. I would describe the MS-1 as aggressive and bright, but cold through the mids. How would you describe the HD25 in this context?

Edited by Beefy

That is an enormous continuum between two phones that sound nothing alike to my ears......

That was the intention of my illustration. Signature wise they are neither Sennheiser (the dark end) OR Grado. The main departure from Grado flavor is a bit toned down highs and more bass quantity. Also some soundstage.

Anyway- try to audition them. Otherwise this may turn into one of those "appreciation" threads.

OK. I would describe the MS-1 as aggressive and bright, but cold through the mids. How would you describe the HD25 in this context?

I'm not sure what aggressive means since none of my phones have ever attacked me. Compared to the MS-1 the HD-25s have less prominent treble and more mid bass energy giving them a less bright (darker) presentation and a better treble/midrange balance. Neither are bass monsters and are both somewhat light in deeper bass. I do use them with a 650 cable not the stock steel POS.

Yeah, I haven't considered the Orpheus or R-10 either. I'll check into that.

Re: the IEMs, I haven't tried the Comply tips, but I do use the Shure black foamies. These are much better than the Super Fi tips, but still not great.

I like the Shure black foamies as well but for comfort I don't think anything beats the Comply's. But with the UE's, tips are only part of the problem, their design seems to really be hit or miss with people. When I had the Triple.Fi's it took me a couple of weeks to really get on to inserting them right but I've read about many people that were never able to get them to fit right no matter what they did. A design like the Westone's or Shure's generally seem to work much better for people.

I'll second the X10 recommendation as well, I really liked the ones I owned, I only gave them up because the only tip that worked well for me was their included silicone tip which I have a sensitivity to. I never did try them with Comply's though and have been meaning to pick up a pair to retry them.

Well, I thought we were avoiding IEMs as an option but I'm going to have to break w/ the X5/X10 crowd. I've owned both and got rid of them. Perhaps back in the day when the Klipschs, ER-4 and TF10 ruled but over the past year or two the IEM world has made progress. The only one of those that can really hold it's own still is the ER4S if you like/ want that Ety diffuse field signature. I'd get the the DBA-02 mk1/mk2 depending or B2 which is a clone. They also uses diffuse field but require deep insertion for proper seal and acoustic impedance to balance out the low end. The layering, imaging, detail and clarity in more modern IEMs can really put the Klipschs in their place. Compared to the DBAs, Sony EX100, Ortofon Eq5/7, and higher end Westones and FADs, the Klipschs are a step behind to my ears. You could also get a custom JH5 for $350 around Black Friday.

The HD25 I only mentioned in context of doing the Amperior foam mod. That should help quite a bit. I have a suspicion the HD25 could be made to sound better than an Amperior out of the box w/ some minor tweaks.

Comfort is rather subjective especially wrt to anatomical differences. Some folks don't like straight barreled deep insertion. Some do. I have no problem with it. I have the UERM and ES5 and have no problem w/ using the DBA-02/B2 all day. The Sony EXs drive me crazy, others think they exemplify comfort. That's just too personal and relative to say. None of them are what I'd consider a torture device. If you like the X5/10 design you might want to check out the Vsonic GR01. Same small barrel, more neutral than X10 and a proper strain relief design. One thing the Klipschs do have are the patented oval gel tips which I use on my DBA/B2s. Don't know why other people can't figure out ovals are more ergonomic than barrels in your ear. Apparently the new Sennheiser IE800s will offer oval tips as well.

Anywho, I don't want to link anything verboten but I will say a certain ljokerl has an extensive database of universal IEM impressions. What's great is he and I have slightly different priorities and tastes but his objective impressions are pretty spot on IMHO. I encourage anyone interested in some datapoints to peruse his universals thread.

As for portables, he's got a thread as well but I haven't followed that in ages. I just don't get along w/ supraurals comfort wise.

30-40K Yen. We really need to beat some sense into them about those bloody AA's. Hello Li-ion...

My AudioCats modded SR-001 Mk2 runs off a 6 x 14500 cell Li-ion rechargeable external pack, since the battery compartment is full of upgraded caps now (upgraded opamps too). Sounds pretty much like an SR-003/SRM-1 Mk2 Pro combo, and runs 8-10 hours on a charge. I seem to recall it was easy to mod the SR-001 to use two 14500 in parallel, which worked better than two AA in series.

Yep, I find them as or more comfortable than my customs.

This. Plus the sound is relaxed, warm and natural. I really don't care "modern IEM" can do things better, which they do, the W4 are far more accomplished on a few features, though I know nothing that beats the X10 for comfort and a relaxed listening experience of any kind of music you wish to throw at it.

Instant gratification wins, I picked up the DT1350 this afternoon :)

Early listening is very positive. High bit rate MP3's from the Nexus sound fantastic, and the isolation is perfect. No harshness in the highs, and the ruler flat bass and mids are very comforting.

No problem getting a seal; they clamp like a motherfucker and will take some serious wearing in.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

• Like 1

Excellent news Beefy. Enjoy your new purchase. I know you will.

I really came to appreciate the 1350s a month ago when I was flat out sick with the flu for an entire week. They took me to another place I really needed to be. All without disturbing the rest of the household and vice versa. I have now grown quite fond of them and their sound. A surprisingly easy and satisfying listen for hours at a time.

Makes me seriously want to seek out and try a T1. If the T1 just did not seem so overpriced, I probably would have given them a fair shot by now.