The new electrostatic headphones: JJ Float QA

Electrostatic Fan

I've been following the German thread but I'm not impressed to be honest. Sure, it may be an improvement over the PS2 but that was far from being a top end set to begin with and things have come a long way since then. They changed the connectors simply because Hirschman doesn't make them any more so it was a necessity but the cable looks like the same design. If any headphone would benefit from a lower capacitance cable then it would be those huge drivers...

I don't think it is possible to run these drivers at a +600V bias in the open frame. The backwave issues are huge and the only way to overcome them is with brute force. The PS2 ran at +1200V if I remember correctly so these should be similar but more importantly the drive voltages are far higher. While Stax transformer boxes use a ratio of 1:25 for stepping up the voltage, the Jecklin boxes used 1:125. This poses a problem with Stax compatibility even though amps like the BHSE and KGSSHV should have no trouble driving them. These are all issues which we came across with the Purtscheller design ideas back in the day. He was going to offer a matching tube amp but with no Stax compatibility the design was doomed. The days of matching phones and interface devices are long gone and we are only going to see a further move towards the Stax standard in the future.

To me this set looks like the old PS2 drivers in a slightly better chassis and with a better headband design though mostly borrowed from the PMB500/1000. Sure, they might sell a few sets but nothing compared to what they might sell with Stax compatibility. I do think the drivers could be redesigned to work at the lower bias and voltage swing ranges but it would take some clever baffle design and at least partial earpads (like the PMD's). This is no longer a niche market as can be seen by the hundreds of Stax SR-009's sold in just one year...

To me this set looks like the old PS2 drivers in a slightly better chassis and with a better headband design though mostly borrowed from the PMB500/1000. Sure, they might sell a few sets but nothing compared to what they might sell with Stax compatibility. I do think the drivers could be redesigned to work at the lower bias and voltage swing ranges but it would take some clever baffle design and at least partial earpads (like the PMD's). This is no longer a niche market as can be seen by the hundreds of Stax SR-009's sold in just one year...

No, that's wrong. If there are the first pictures of the inside of the supply, they will see the difference. Until then, I ask for your patience. I know the Stax family for well over 20 years and I also know the current float QA, I know both classify aurally. I would not take them, their judgment, they just consider this: you have an idea, it could be something like. This idea they derive from the past. How could it be and the reality, however, are two different beasts. However, their opinion okay for me. Let yourself be surprised in the future. Determines the American press at some point make a report and then they remember my words: The Float QA has the clearest and most natural tonality. No Stax has the same naturalness. You had to remove only the errors that existed in the past and this has been done completely. But again, I can only speak for myself. Let me know as they say in my own words: With Stax, they have a good feeling for a concert recording with the QA float they are in concert. Maybe something fierce - okay - but it is more than just a grain of truth.

Actually, I'll have to take your words with a grain of salt. I'm sorry, but I don't know you, I don't know your technical background, and you've come in directly with a strong opinion about a product that's yet to be released. Please read the welcome PM again. shovel.gif

What exactly was I wrong about? Look at where the Jecklin design came from, or more importantly the drivers, and there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

As for Stax not sounding natural, you are joking right? Which set and with what amp would be a much better question. If the Float sound is to your liking then it has to be a Sigma, preferably a Sigma 404.

Dude, you are being way too defensive about this unreleased product not to be somehow affiliated with the company. We don't give a shit about whatever hype you're trying to generate. When it's released, people will decide. Until then, you're off to a piss-poor start on this forum.

Dude, you are being way too defensive about this unreleased product not to be somehow affiliated with the company. We don't give a shit about whatever hype you're trying to generate. When it's released, people will decide. Until then, you're off to a piss-poor start on this forum.

You obviously have a problem with their behavior, or do they piss on language? If they have to pee, then they have to find a toilet. And that was that .. For stupidity I have no patience. Pursue the matter with the float or they do not. You can also go pee, then when they feel better. bye bye

You obviously have a problem with their behavior, or do they piss on language? If they have to pee, then they have to find a toilet. And that was that .. For stupidity I have no patience. Pursue the matter with the float or they do not. You can also go pee, then when they feel better. bye bye

I certainly hope English is not your native language. Regardless ...

22495e35.jpg

I certainly hope English is not your native language. Regardless ...

Have I claimed? But they know: Intelligence is a blessing. And there, where happiness is not at home, that intelligence is raining from the sky, you have no chance. I tried to discuss a topic of interest properly. I had no idea of landing in the country stupidity.

Srsly

Yes, I've read. And yes, I am a guest. That is also correct. It is therefore normal, they go into a bar and are making stupid? Is this normal? No, this is normal there, where people have no spiritual level. Where idiots are on the road. Where I come from, it is normal for people to deal intelligently with each other, and with respect. This is normal. And it does not need a welcome where it is written that it's often rude or offensive approaching. I'm sorry. If that's their opinion then they have to learn a lot.

Srsly

Yes, I've read. And yes, I am a guest. That is also correct. It is therefore normal, they go into a bar and are making stupid? Is this normal? No, this is normal there, where people have no spiritual level. Where idiots are on the road. Where I come from, it is normal for people to deal intelligently with each other, and with respect. This is normal. And you need no welcome message, where it is written that there are often rude or offensive approaching. I'm sorry. If that's their opinion then they have to learn a lot.

There's a lot of Babelfish translate going on here methinks. And the intended tone of the original German is being lost, as is the intended tone of the English responses.

Meantimes, I'm going to put on my Floats and stay up all night drinking beer.

What exactly was I wrong about? Look at where the Jecklin design came from, or more importantly the drivers, and there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

As for Stax not sounding natural, you are joking right? Which set and with what amp would be a much better question. If the Float sound is to your liking then it has to be a Sigma, preferably a Sigma 404.

The Float/PS2 I had sounded nothing like a Sigma/404. Maybe there were different versions, but with the one I had, it literally had no bottom end - deep bass that was apparent on the Sigma and LNS was not audible on the Float/PS2 (and specifically Tony Levin's descending stick playing on "Projekct 1 Live At The Jazz Cafe", track 3 at the beginning of the track where Tony's bass literally disappeared on the Floats, where the Sigma/404 played on without turning a hair). Also, they were far too bright. The dynamics of this headphone were unbelievable, however. They barely fit my head also (ala Birgir). I sold the Jecklins. The Stax Sigma/404s (and the LNS) were far better.
These new Jecklins would need to be a big improvement to be even competitive. Edited by John Buchanan

I was more commenting on "speaker like" presentation of the Sigma's which the Floats are also trying to achieve rather then the actual performance. If we go by that then none of the Floats even come close and only the K1000 makes an honest attempt. For me the Floats were all about impact which probably stems from using speaker drivers in the earliest versions. High voltage swing with high bias to get better dynamics.

I don't know if what you heard were issues with build quality but they pretty much match my experiences. It also matches the figures as with an open baffle the bass is the first thing to go and the treble becomes more pronounced. There are some clever ways to get some of that bass back but the lack of earpads will always cause issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember my 2 floats fondly. I don't recall the bass problem but my reference Stax of the day was the SRX3 which is also bass-shy. The main problem was contact coming off the drivers and no way I could see to resolder them without destroying the membrances. I ended up selling both pairs "as-is."

• 1 month later...

New Jecklin now officially released with prices

Preisliste:

Jecklin Float QA Kopfhörer 1395,--€

Jecklin Float QA power supply 1395,--€

Jecklin Float QA Set bestehend aus Kopfhörer und power supply 2590,--€

http://www.quad-musi...ml/jecklin.html

Interview and more photos AVGuide.ch in German

http://www.quad-musik.de/avguide-ch-Juerg-Jeckling-Interveiw-neuer-Float.pdf

Edited by complin

Yes but there are a few hints about possible performance. To paraphrase;

The old transformers transmission characteristics limited the performance of the original Floats. The new power supply module, weighs 10kg and is built with uncompromisingly good transformers that allow a transfer down to 20Hz. The best part: The new power supply module also works with the old float. Owners of the old float can expect if they purchase a new power supply module, a marked improvement in sound. It looks huge and weighs 10KG (22 LBS)!

alr9mh.jpg

2elgwsh.jpg

Edited by complin