Hifiman HE-500

deepak

I think these are one of the good 'uns under a thousand bucks and come up a little over half that used. They have nice tone, good speed, and focused soundstage.

They have more sparkle and air than an LCD-2. LCD-2 bass has a slight edge in texture and a definite advantage in bass slam. HE-500 bass is almost a bit too Lambda-ish and can sound somewhat one note when underpowered. They sounded a lot more articulate off a Beta22. Where they really outshine the LCD is in the midrange and treble. There are some odd dips in the HE-500 mids, but it doesn't have that constant shelved down sound that the LCD has. They don't come close to either Omega in terms of resolution, but that would be asking a bit much.

They do like a lot of clean power and are really inefficient contrary to the specs. When plugged into my Thinkpad the volume slider is maxed out to get any decent volume out of an average recording. They are ok out of my Gilmore Lite, but I really liked them on a Beta22.

Out of all the posts I read I'd say Tyll's findings are closest to mine. He posted some impressions in "comparing the worlds best headphones" and the review with the 4 HE-x headphones.

I think these are one of the good 'uns under a thousand bucks and come up a little over half that used. They have nice tone, good speed, and focused soundstage.

They have more sparkle and air than an LCD-2. LCD-2 bass has a slight edge in texture and a definite advantage in bass slam. HE-500 bass is almost a bit too Lambda-ish and can sound somewhat one note when underpowered. They sounded a lot more articulate off a Beta22. Where they really outshine the LCD is in the midrange and treble. There are some odd dips in the HE-500 mids, but it doesn't have that constant shelved down sound that the LCD has. They don't come close to either Omega in terms of resolution, but that would be asking a bit much.

They do like a lot of clean power and are really inefficient contrary to the specs. When plugged into my Thinkpad the volume slider is maxed out to get any decent volume out of an average recording. They are ok out of my Gilmore Lite, but I really liked them on a Beta22.

Out of all the posts I read I'd say Tyll's findings are closest to mine. He posted some impressions in "comparing the worlds best headphones" and the review with the 4 HE-x headphones.

When I had my HE-500/DACmini and KGSS/LNS both set up at RMAF 2011, several people thought the two rigs sounded very similar. The HE-500 definitely scale up with better amplification, and my ZDT drives the HE-500 a bit better. They do like powerful amps, and something like the HM-801 portable music player can drive my HD800 decently but it's unacceptable with the HE-500.

The HE500 aren't bad, but if you want something better for the price, try the SRH1840. Easier to drive, way lighter, more detailed, neutral and transparent.

What you lose is the HE500's bass impact, but I think that's overdone anyways.

It's been a while since I have heard those, but I thought the HD600 were considerably better than the Shure. And I like the HE500 more than the HD600

It's been a while since I have heard those, but I thought the HD600 were considerably better than the Shure. And I like the HE500 more than the HD600

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the closed 840? I'm talking about the newly released open 1840. I owned a couple HD600s and still have 3 pairs of 650s. Done A/B and long term comparisons. The Shures are clearly a step up in technical performance and scale higher. Their tone, aside from being a little bass-light for some, is also quite good (natural).

BTW...owned several pairs of HE500s to compare as well. Just saying because I don't really trust meet/store impressions.

Edited by Shahrose

Deepak, he mentioned the Shure 1840'snot the 840's.....you've heard the 1840's? By your note "it's been a while since I have heard those" I thought you might mean the 840's.

FWIW, I like the 600's better than the 840's, had both; but haven't heard the 1840's.....

EDIT: beat me to it.......

Edited by skullguise

In that case, I agree with you. The HD600 and HE500 blow away the 840. Those are mid-end closed cans.

Give the 1840 a shot if you ever get the chance. I've seen a couple places selling them for $639 shipped.

Oh and I'm also one of the ones who preferred the HE500 over the LCD-2. The Audez'es were better in some areas, but all things considered, I enjoyed the HE500 more.

Yeah, I don't think there is an 1840, I think the highest they go is 940, 1840 isn't for another hundred? thousand? years...

It's been available for a few months now. Retails for $699 at most authorized dealers, including TTVJ. What's more, I have one, so it definitely exists.

Can't say I've spent too much time with the HE-500, but they have always seemed nice enough, just lacking a bit of the ultimate punch and precision of a well-driven HE-6.

Personally, I found the HE6 to be in a whole different class.

BTW, deepak. Do you have the older or newer version of the HE500? The old one has the unwieldy speaker wire for a cable and the plastic-backed, softer, larger circumference pads. The latest ones have a light, thin silver cable and stiffer, rubber-backed earpads.

I actually liked the older one better for sound. They had great liquid mids. The newer one has tighter bass and a smaller soundstage but loses the special midrange.

Old, just judging by the cable. Yeah the cable is too stiff, I will probably put the HE connectors on a HD650 cable. Can't do HE6 or anything super inefficient since these are only used at my work during lunch. I have Omega 1 and 2 for home use.

I also got them in a trade for my Lambdas, so I don't think I will be trying anything else since I'm really happy with them.