Streaming wirelessly to PS3

shellylh

I would like to move my cable modem and router into the office (one room over from the tv with not much of a wall in between) so to avoid having to use a splitter and remove clutter from the living room. However, most of our tv watching is watching steaming video through netflix or mlb on the ps3. Does anyone have experience wirelessly streaming with the ps3. The router I have is an newish Airport Extreme but I think the ps3 is restricted to wireless g (not 100% sure).

I guess I could get an Apple TV for the living room if needed since I stream to those in other rooms and it seems to work well.

Netflix via wi-fi connected PS3 works pretty well these days. It used to be kinda buggy, but lately works with minimal babysitting. Even Sony's updates have quieted down lately.

Hi-Def content (music or video) over wi-fi is not a good plan. But the PS3 does allow connection of external USB storage devices, including hard drives & even USB sticks, from which to play media content just as if it were stored locally inside the PS3 itself. This has worked pretty well for us too.

I cannot praise the WD live box enough - plays every file type I have all the way up to 1080p...

I tried it and was not very impressed. Even wired via gigabit it failed to play iso's. I ended up sending it back.

I have this wireless ethernet converter. Works pretty well.

I love that they advertise "up to 300Mbps wireless" and then put 100Mbps ethernet jacks on it. Of course, you won't ever get near even that anyway, so it hardly matters.

I cannot praise the WD live box enough - plays every file type I have all the way up to 1080p...

I tried it and was not very impressed. Even wired via gigabit it failed to play iso's. I ended up sending it back.

More Love for the WD Live, here. Just plaved bunch of ISO's (both NTSC + PAL) from a windows network share, so it works here. Anecdotally.

It's wireless as you walk the disk over and plug it into the wd

Yup, it supports sneakernet. I have a 2TB external USB drive (WD elements) plugged in the back for local storage, and you can stick a USB thumb drive in the USB port at the front if you need to. It can mount the drives as a network share, so you can update its contents remotely as well.

I would like to move my cable modem and router into the office (one room over from the tv with not much of a wall in between) so to avoid having to use a splitter and remove clutter from the living room. However, most of our tv watching is watching steaming video through netflix or mlb on the ps3. Does anyone have experience wirelessly streaming with the ps3. The router I have is an newish Airport Extreme but I think the ps3 is restricted to wireless g (not 100% sure).

I guess I could get an Apple TV for the living room if needed since I stream to those in other rooms and it seems to work well.

I would get the Airport Express and use it to extend the wireless network at 802.11n speeds, and plug the PS3 ethernet port into the Airport Express. This is what I do with my PS Audio PWD and it worked better than the PS Audio USB dongle that I beta tested. It's very speedy on my 5 Ghz network, and I didn't need to use a power line solution.

If you don't have a DLNA or uPNP media server on your computer or don't want to leave the computer on 24/7, and adding a dedicated NAS with built-in drive and server is too expensive, you can use a $79 LaCie LaPlug to connect any old USB drive to the network and serve media from it. I plugged my LaPlug into my Airport Extreme ethernet port and it's server works with my PS Audio Bridge (haven't tried it with Xbox or PS3 yet). It also supports 802.11g if you can't hard wire the LaPlug into the router.