RMAF 2012--October 12-14--Denver, CO

The Monkey

Naaman, did you have any opportunity to hear the Magico speakers? The Magico and MBLs are at the top of my list and I agree with you regarding the Wilson speakers. I have heard a few of the Wilson models in different venues and each experience has been the same............ nice but not exciting and certainly not worth the money.

Didn't see the Magicos, and I was looking for them. As for the Wilsons I actually usually think they are quite horrible so them sounding okay is a step up :)

did you hear the Thiel CS2.7, Namaan?

No 2.7, just the 3.7.

Sweet! Does the new manufacturing process have to be—ahem—phased in? See what I did there?

And are they making an announcement at all, or is it just all new orders from after a certain date will have the new hotness? I haven't seen anything on their website or blog...

I was assuming everything is freqphased now, but I can confirm. There were tear sheets at the table explaining the process. It will be interesting to see how they handle the PR because Jerry's kind of saying, "Yeah, y'know your old JH13s? Well, I was wrong..." My old JH13 still sounds great, but I think they are taking a little risk retaining the same model names. And it's unfortunate that the old versions can't be tweaked.

I was assuming everything is freqphased now, but I can confirm. There were tear sheets at the table explaining the process. It will be interesting to see how they handle the PR because Jerry's kind of saying, "Yeah, y'know your old JH13s? Well, I was wrong..." My old JH13 still sounds great, but I think they are taking a little risk retaining the same model names. And it's unfortunate that the old versions can't be tweaked.

Yeah, I think I would have either changed the model numbers, or perhaps added a suffix. I understand why the old versions can't be updated, as it would require a total rebuild. If the changes are as siginificant as some have reported, it seems like they should have somehow changed/tweaked the names, just to avoid confusion. Now everyone will have to mention whether they've got new or old 13's/16's.

Just ordered a set of micro one's from Blue Light. Heads up to prospective buyers, It's gone up in price to $4000 but they will be honoring the $2500 price to anyone who squeezes into the current run (which is shipping in November.)

Just ordered a set of micro one's from Blue Light. Heads up to prospective buyers, It's gone up in price to $4000 but they will be honoring the $2500 price to anyone who squeezes into the current run (which is shipping in November.)

That sucks, I was hoping to pick up a pair in the future. At 4k there are some other serious contendors.

I think the differences between the freqphased JH13 and JH16 are bigger than the non freq'd versions.

Could you provide any more detail? I know it's a show setting, etc. Just curious.

I remember two long listening sessions with universal B.F. (Before Freq'ing) versions of each before finally deciding on the 13s.

Freqphase Waveguide flyer

It does seem like a shame not to rename the products. If it's such an improvement, you'd think they'd want to shout it at the top of their lungs! Especially since it's only affecting their top three products...anyway, hopefully people won't freq the fuck out.

JH16FP, anyone?

Could you provide any more detail? I know it's a show setting, etc. Just curious.

I remember two long listening sessions with universal B.F. (Before Freq'ing) versions of each before finally deciding on the 13s.

Briefly.

The JH13 non freqd vs. the JH13 freqd: made my "old" JH13 sound slightly veiled (and that's saying something). The "new" JH13 sounds more linear, with even more clarity, with the slight subtraction of bass crunch down low. The analogy I've been using is that someone took a VERY clean window and applied yet another round of squeegeeing to it.

The JH16 I had only heard in universal demo mode before, but these sounded more colored to me (in a good way). Bass seems tipped up a bit down where you can hear the real crunch of electric guitar and bass in a rock track.

The JH16 has an even more fun sound to me now than before and the JH13 has a more serious, straightforward presentation. I should point out that I don't think the JH16's coloration makes it inappropriate as a reference, which is part of why I like it so much. It is a fun headphone, but Jerry didn't do anything to make it sound ridiculous.

I hope that helps.