RMAF 2012--October 12-14--Denver, CO

The Monkey

Steve's endorsements (and Roger's posts) have me demoing a new Sanders sound system soon...

Love those Sanders 'stats. Only issue is they always have them set up with eh.. "eclectic" front end, pro digital crossover, and own amps. I would love to audition them with some other top-flight gear and see what they are Really capable of.

BTW. Anyone have thoughts on Sanders 'stat vs. King Sound 'stat at the show?

The Sanders system comes with the crossover as well as one amp (magtech for model 10c, ESL for 11) to control the woofers- since it's bi-amped, you'd need to buy another one for the rest of the system. He gives discounts if you buy his own amps and of course suggests his own models. From my conversations with him he's an "any front end goes" kind of guy.

If such things do make any sense at all. smile.png
They don't (make sense to me neither, that is). I don't understand at all how the (current) DSP-corrected JH-13's can sound any different than (current) DSP-corrected JH-16's. Don't they both have ranges well outside of human hearing?

Phase delay and psychology notwithstanding.

They don't. I don't understand at all how the (current) DSP-corrected JH-13's can sound any different than (current) DSP-corrected JH-16's. Don't they both have ranges well outside of human hearing?

Phase delay and psychology notwithstanding.

They sounded pretty different to me. But that could easily be placebo. And I also rather stupidly didn't pay attention to the amps.

They sounded pretty different to me. But that could easily be placebo. And I also rather stupidly didn't pay attention to the amps.

I agree they sounded different, and the JH13FP didn't have the weight and presence or slam of real instruments like the JH16FP (the JH16FP have a psychological hit in the gut, since there is no real subwoofer in the room to do that). For the non-JH3A IEM I felt the Fostex HP-P1 had a bit better and more open sound quality than the Qables amp I tried.

I really couldn't say how the new FP universal demos compare to my custom fit old model JH13, because I had to hold the demos in my ear to keep a seal, and it's really distracting trying to listen at the show. I brought my JH13 with me, and still prefer the actual customs over universal demos, but every time I've tried a universal demo and then bought the custom, the final one that is made for my ears was better than the demo.

The JH3A rig to me was more transparent (Macbook Air > Halide Bridge USB to Coax > JH3A), and seemed to offer a clearer window into the music with effortless and unending bass power and depth. But as far as imaging and soundstage it's hard to compare the demo to an actual custom.

My Jh16s had to be sent back after over 2 years last week due to corrosion in the socket when the cable enters the phones. Supposedly humidity in Sofla and me wearing them to the gym caused it. $55 fix (inclusive of insured shipping from me). Lets see how they respond. So far try have not responded to 3 of my emails however they told me to send the phones in over the phone last week.

Hiss has always been an issue for me. Never was able to rule or out. And it's not minute either. Over time if I just use the iems I just get used to it but when I go to 650s for a day then the hiss is quite annoying on going back to iems.

Even with the hiss I haven't found anything with matched sq, fit, comfort, portability or understated look as them. Most people look at them and call it ugly due to the custom mold. Mine are plain with no cover art so they don't attract too much attention either which is awesome.

Hiss has always been an issue for me. Never was able to rule or out. And it's not minute either. Over time if I just use the iems I just get used to it but when I go to 650s for a day then the hiss is quite annoying on going back to iems.

I've never had any (h)issues with my JH13s;.

In fact I've always remarked on how quiet they are—whether I've amped them from an iPhone directly, or through my Meier Stepdance or Pico Slim.

I got impressions done at the show, but haven't decided yet.

I believe I read they have some new device for making impressions, how invasive was it?

We're going to Florida for a couple of weeks over Christmas, I'm half tempted to try and go by their offices to see if there's anything that could be done to work around the problems I've had with my left ear. I don't imagine I'll actually do it though, based on my previous experiences I don't think customs will ever work for me so it would likely just end up being a waste of quality vacation/family time.

I believe I read they have some new device for making impressions, how invasive was it?

We're going to Florida for a couple of weeks over Christmas, I'm half tempted to try and go by their offices to see if there's anything that could be done to work around the problems I've had with my left ear. I don't imagine I'll actually do it though, based on my previous experiences I don't think customs will ever work for me so it would likely just end up being a waste of quality vacation/family time.

I think the middle ear scanner isn't finalized yet, so I had silicone impressions. Plus, they were only able to demo the scanner on Friday, and I didn't know that and so I missed trying it.

I'm leaning towards the 3A, but may want to use it un-amped with my iPhone or iPad sometimes. So I have a few questions:

1) Does it come with the adapter to use it with a 3.5mm jack?

2) How bulky is the balanced plug with single ended adapter (since it now has the crossover inside the IEM)?

3) Does anyone make an adapter to use it with the balanced SR-71b or ALO Rx Mk3? (not that anyone would do that)

AFAIK, you have to order the adapter separately, for another $65.

So they charge $1750 for the 3A system but can't include an adapter that couldn't cost more than a few dollars to make? That seems a bit ridiculous.

I think the middle ear scanner isn't finalized yet, so I had silicone impressions. Plus, they were only able to demo the scanner on Friday, and I didn't know that and so I missed trying it.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm going to bother, while it's an intriguing idea to see what JH Audio can do if I'm right there, the more I think about my original 13Pro experience the more I back off from the idea of tyring customs again.

Edited by elnero