RMAF 2012--October 12-14--Denver, CO

The Monkey

So they charge $1750 for the 3A system but can't include an adapter that couldn't cost more than a few dollars to make? That seems a bit ridiculous.

Also ridiculous that they don't offer any other choices for adapters; it might be nice to have a 1/8" or 4-pin XLR option—it might be nice to use those headphones with a full-size desktop amp.

Ehh, what's the point of that system then besides subpar amplification? Aren't they still using a ALO Rx in there?

I'd like to get some insight on this point as well.

I thought the idea was that getting the whole system was a good match, but fuck if it's what Birgir is saying, it seems like it might be better just to get the JH16FPs, and a portable DAC (yet another conversation if I want 24/96 support) and just use my existing my Pico Slim (or my BHA-1), and save some money in the process...

Jeffy don't like to waste money.

You're living in the past, Dusty. They couldn't pull that off, so the cross-over is in the IEM.
Okay, this was news to me. When did this happen?

EDIT: And yeah, what Birgir said -- what's the point of the JH3A? I thought they had some kind of bandpass filter in the JH3A that out-and-out moved into the digital realm, so that therefore the two were no longer compatible, I.E. you needed the DSP to do at least that part.

Also, how are they going to freqphase anything in the analog realm, I just assumed by this that it was going to be in the digital realm -- isn't it? This sounds like what they were originally shooting for.

I'm a just gonna have to PM him. He's on here, right?

Okay, this was news to me. When did this happen?

Here's the quote from the JH thread:

Wow, oh wow. So glad I got out from under this rock.

Here is the latest update on the JH3A…

Due to a 6 year-pending patent application that was filed during Jerry's ownership of Ultimate Ears and finally granted this past January, we have changed the format of the 3A Amplifier. This has cost the project an intense amount of time and for that we apologize.

Please see below for the changes that have been made:

• We have removed the active crossover from the amp and put it back into the earpiece. This change allows the earpieces to be used without being married to the amp. We have had many customers request this flexibility and we are happy to be able to offer it.
    • (An 8-Pin to 3.5 mm male mini adapter is required. With the adaptor, the JH16 may be used as a normal passive crossover earpiece and can be plugged into any source a typical JH16 would. There is no impact to the audio quality for either application. We will offer the adaptor, with the price being determined next week.)
      • The 3A still has 3 internal amps (low, mid and high) driving the passive crossover components in the earpiece. This allows us to EQ and delay each amp for the particular component in order to correct EQ and phase.

[*]The 3A can run in either 2 amp mode (mids and highs) or 3 amp mode (lows, mids and highs) by switching between the B/M switch.

[*]In 2-way mode, the low end response is perfectly flat. In 3-way mode the bass response is +3db to +14db depending on the bass amp volume control setting.

[*]Amp stage is totally silent

[*]The analog input has been increased so the gain is closer to gain of the the digital input.

We feel the changes that had to be made have improved the JH3A and we think that you as the consumer you will be pleased with its improved versatility. We appreciate everyone that has held on while this product has been in the development stage and we apologize for the long delay in this reaching you, the early believers in the project. The design of the JH3A is complete and it is an amazing product. We will be showing the completed JH3A this week at RMAF and look forward to everyones feedback. JH3A amps will start to ship the week after RMAF as soon as Jerry returns to the lab.

Thank you,

JHAudio

:palm:

So, theoretically, with the crossover in the earpiece, yet separated, they could still correct for phase in the DSP -- so is that what freqphase is doing? Sounds like the best of both worlds -- one can still use the JH13 or JH16 by itself with any amp one wants, or with the JH3A and get the DSP correction (but then stuck with the internal amps).

Best of all three worlds would be to have the ability to swap in amps and DACs. Four worlds. I don't know, maybe he should just release the code. But then one would have to be able to drive multiple DACs with different sources, so this isn't a Windows based system.

facepalm.png

Sounds like the best of both worlds -- one can still use the JH13 or JH16 by itself with any amp one wants, or with the JH3A and get the DSP correction (but then stuck with the internal amps).

You can no longer get the JH13s with the 3A now—it's the JH16 only—something else that happened while you were sleeping. It's been quite a saga, believe me; I've read some of the threads over at the other place.