Automated Machining/3D Printing/Casting Thread

mypasswordis

Didn't see a thread topic relegated specifically to automated machinery specifically so I thought I'd make one. I'm working with another person in starting up a company that offers consulting services to optimize parts and layout production efficiencies, which includes a machine shop of our own. We're starting with conventional subtractive machining, but are looking to expand later with plasma/lasers, casting, plating, PCB layout and fabrication, etc. Currently we have a (cam operated) B&S screw machine with an old Bridgeport CNC coming in soon. We'll be looking to retrofit them both with open source CNC software and the proper motor drive modules pretty soon. Currently we'll be operating the screw machine for our first client as-is, machining/buying the necessary cams and tooling as needed. As most of the heavy duty machinery runs on three phase power and we're starting off our business in our garage, ie on residential power, the options as we see it are to swap out the motors for single phase, or buy a VFD/inverter, or have PEPCO install three phase, probably with a separate meter. We'll move to renting out an industrial space later on but money doesn't grow on trees. Thoughts? Also any info on good places that sell cams and tooling would be great. We pretty much have what we need already but it wouldn't hurt to expand or replace.

Good luck with your start up, Justin! I'm contemplating taking a machining class and then the follow up CNC machining class at one of the local community colleges, just so I can have a basis of knowledge to build on for any future hobby builds. Looking forward to seeing how your retrofit goes :)

Good luck with your start up, Justin! I'm contemplating taking a machining class and then the follow up CNC machining class at one of the local community colleges, just so I can have a basis of knowledge to build on for any future hobby builds. Looking forward to seeing how your retrofit goes smile.png

Sounds fun, it would have been nice to take a class like that but I'm learning everything on the spot, from construction to operation of the machinery, motor and motor drives, open source CNC software, and even started reading up on writing and modifying OSes. Specifically RTOSes for microcontrollers, I'm somewhat comfortable writing basic round robin/simple state machine type stuff in C and assembly for microprocessors but OSes are on another level. Context switching, semaphores, HAL, drivers, the works. I'm even learning legal stuff, pertaining to formation of a company, liability, contracts, etc. Found a 5HP single phase motor that might just be in need of a new start cap, that I might be able to swap in to the machine.

• 7 months later...