Is the iMod a ripoff?

ron mexico

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if you're really wedded to the iPod then it's probably an improvement to use the BGs over the pretty lousy tantalum coupling caps that Apple uses. I don't think the iPod is a very good source, though, so I find it a bit awkward to shell out that kind of money on it when ~400 dollars can get you quite a bit more elsewhere unless you have some burning desire to make your iPod your 'high quality' source. I took apart an iPod the other day and while it's not the easiest modification it didn't look that bad. I may modify it for the hell of it *shrug*. Won't really fix it still being an iPod but I guess it would be somewhat entertaining to do...at least until I go back to using something else.

Of course, the 4g mod price didn't change just because you buy it from ALO. This ALO hating is a bit extreme. He's not any worse than any of the other overpriced DIY cable makers (except zach, who barely makes cables anymore). I mean, Alex (ayt999) is certainly way more expensive.

You must missed the camo hats? :)

having said that they are the sweetest fucking thing I've ever seen in life or the internet.

The camo hat hating I really don't get. Big deal, he had a run of stupid hats made? It's hard work making money in audio. If he found a way to make it easier for him, more power to him.

Agreed. You got to hand it to the guy he is a good marketer of his brand. Whether you like his methods or not, he gets himself noticed and indirectly endorsed. Ken even got himself on the Steve Hoffman website as a cable supplier. As far as mixing engineers go, Hoffman has a pretty big repution. ???

The issue here for me is that you HAVE to get the ALO cable. These cables run over $100 for a few inches of cable. What about if you don't have any DIY skills and want a cable for the 5G iMod that runs a few feet to connect to a home system? I run my 4G at home as my main source and really do like it. But there's no way I'm going to spend what I'm guessing will be about $300 on ALO cables to make it work.

Though, you don't actually have to buy the ALO cable with the mod - you can elect not to get one, and make one yourself. But I do suspect it is quite tricky geting those caps nicely integrated in the dock connector. Someone should look into it.

no, it doesn't include the ipod. i bet it includes the required cable though. hopefully there will be a less pricey way to get the cable, no way in hell i am going to pay almost $200 for a few inches of cable. maybe $200 for a meter, but for fucks sake, a few inches? and i'm not just senselessly bashing. i owned the jumbo cryo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

no, it doesn't include the ipod. i bet it includes the required cable though. hopefully there will be a less pricey way to get the cable, no way in hell i am going to pay almost $200 for a few inches of cable. maybe $200 for a meter, but for fucks sake, a few inches? and i'm not just senselessly bashing. i owned the jumbo cryo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Okay. I figured it didn't include the iPod since the original iMod was $199 just for the mod alone. That seems like quite a lot of money to be investing in something like an iPod. Then again, people are spending over $150 on simple dock cables, so I guess $375 isn't particularly surprising.

It's in the head-fi thread, $250 for the mods, $125 for the cheapest cable. You can go up from there to evidently some piece of virgin baby seal unicorn hair for $225. Good god, as someone said a while back all of this is connecting to a 30ga pin at the dock.

I was looking at the posts on headfi and someone made a good point,

No offense, but this latest iMod is a rip-off in my opinion. I was really looking at picking up the 4th gen because I could see how it was worth it. I mean, he had to manage to fit the BG caps plus wiring and such, but this latest mod is no more than a few wires soldered from the DAC to the line-out connectors. This can easily be done is 30 minutes for the cost of the cables. Especially with so many detailed dis-assembly instructions for the ipods its really simple. I dont mind the price of the "iMod" cables as they arent that much more than the standard cables, but seriously folks, over 200 dollars for a few wires soldered to the line-out dock. Thats ridiculous any way you cut it.

and yay for head-case, no bullshit here like head-fi

• 2 months later...

So ALO is in the 550 ballpark on the new iMod dock. So what about 500 for the actual iMod, then another $550 (this price is approximate, it seems the way he is talking, that figure may even be on the low side) for the dock. We are over a grand for a stupid iPod as source. Why does this not make any sense to me?

Haha, did anyone notice that the ALO logo on the cable plug in their website banner reads like "DIY" (http://www.aloaudio.com/)? Very appropriate - both as a recommended course of action and as a statement on the quality of product offered :laugh:

That's what they get for printing their logo in a pretentious font and then taking a pic of it upside down.

Haha, did anyone notice that the ALO logo on the cable plug in their website banner reads like "DIY" (http://www.aloaudio.com/)? Very appropriate - both as a recommended course of action and as a statement on the quality of product offered :laugh:

That's what they get for printing their logo in a pretentious font and then taking a pic of it upside down.

I resent that. I DIY some quality products :P