Is the iMod a ripoff?

ron mexico

Imods are pretty silly unless you want something with a small footprint. All that overhead is really for its "portability" which I don't even really consider a trait given its crap battery time. Its halfway between portable and transportable.. and you can get a lot of great transportable options for the price the imod charges... that will frankly smoke the fuck out of it in sq.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This surprises me too. I thought the dark voice only uses 2 tubes.. so what the Extreme uses 2 for output (1 per channel) instead of 1 like the Darkvoice? Same topology/circuit whatever otherwise? Perhaps singlepower at least uses better parts I'd think.

Btw, what are the differences between the GS-1 and Gilmore Lite? I saw the thread on head-fi but it didn't really seem to have any really good responses.. what I gather is.. better parts/more modular build and better power?

Edit: Oh, that's what he meant. Meh.

This surprises me too. I thought the dark voice only uses 2 tubes.. so what the Extreme uses 2 for output (1 per channel) instead of 1 like the Darkvoice? Same topology/circuit whatever otherwise? Perhaps singlepower at least uses better parts I'd think.

Yep. You can have woo audio stuff the thing with all blackgates if that is what you want.

They use the same tube compliment. the extreme uses paralled triodes for the output stage, effectivey halving the output impedance, and doubling the power capability.

The DV and the Woo use a 6SN7->6AS7G/6080, but only one half the power tube per channel.

correct.

And i have a modification for any of those amps with that particular topology that for about

$10 in parts cuts the distortion by more than half and really improves the sound.

But i'm not telling for a while :D

There is only one other person here that knows what i'm talking about.

And i don't think he is going to tell either.

As far as the A10, ray himself told me he was scared to go directly head to head with SP.

Because that is exactly what the A10 is, an exact copy of the extreme. And exactly

the same thing with the darkvoice and woo audio, which are also exactly the same thing.

he must of told you before the Raptor came to the public also..Ray always had the Extreme's same tubes in the A10..

when i heard it as a tray amp (amp on a plastic tray used in concepting) with the same tubes a week before the chicago meet when everyone seen the Raptor in its proto type form..

so either you completely bullshitting or you had this convo something of two years ago before the extreme came to life..

just like Ray copied the slam with the raptor rite buddy?

and the Wheatfield HA-2 used those tubes how many years before that?

there was another amp also that used them...forgot which one but my point was KG is b/sing..or reversing time...which would be bad ass!

could you reverse my relationships with my ex's? this way it would start ruff but end great...bwahahahahahahaha

he must of told you before the Raptor came to the public also..Ray always had the Extreme's same tubes in the A10..

when i heard it as a tray amp (amp on a plastic tray used in concepting) with the same tubes a week before the chicago meet when everyone seen the Raptor in its proto type form..

It was part of the discussion when ray yelled at me on the phone for over two hours.

this was either one or two months after the meet at his house where he was showing

off the raptor.

Ray said at the time that he was not going to sell the A10.

If you will remember, tuberoller actually posted pictures of the prototype A10 chassis.

So that is about 2 years before the extreme came out. Plus or minus

Hey billy pick up the fucking phone and call ray and ask him.

Now the whole deal of who sold a 5687 amp first is a little harder to figure out.

Except the brooksie did it years before either of them.

It was part of the discussion when ray yelled at me on the phone for over two hours.

this was either one or two months after the meet at his house where he was showing

off the raptor.

Ray said at the time that he was not going to sell the A10.

If you will remember, tuberoller actually posted pictures of the prototype A10 chassis.

So that is about 2 years before the extreme came out. Plus or minus

Hey billy pick up the fucking phone and call ray and ask him.

Now the whole deal of who sold a 5687 amp first is a little harder to figure out.

Except the brooksie did it years before either of them.

hey my point is Ray could not of said "he was scared to go directly head to head with SP.

Because that is exactly what the A10 is, an exact copy of the extreme."

thats all..

now about the reversing of time thingy you have...

Lisa and Jenn first please!!

hey my point is Ray could not of said "he was scared to go directly head to head with SP.

For a long time mikhail was talking about other tubes, especially things like the 6080 which

was always one of my favorites. Just because it took mikhail 2 years to come out with the

thing is not at issue here. Ray wanted his niche, and wanted to stay out of mikhail's face

and he clearly expected mikhail to do the same. Things are pretty much that way even today.

If ray would have released the A10 (likely at $1900 or more) he would have instantly had

competition from other products priced significantly less.

For a long time mikhail was talking about other tubes, especially things like the 6080 which

was always one of my favorites. Just because it took mikhail 2 years to come out with the

thing is not at issue here. Ray wanted his niche, and wanted to stay out of mikhail's face

and he clearly expected mikhail to do the same. Things are pretty much that way even today.

If ray would have released the A10 (likely at $1900 or more) he would have instantly had

competition from other products priced significantly less.

not anything to actually say anything about SP...i dont give a flying ass who came with what first...its all been done before by someone else anyway.

Guest sacd lover

thats all..

now about the reversing of time thingy you have...

Lisa and Jenn first please!!

The Extreme has a different circuit than the ones mentioned. For one thing the amp is direct coupled; no coupling caps. The A10 actually showed up after I sold ray an EC HD300 .... which surprise, surprise used a single 6AS7 output with a seperate power supply. I remember when he bought the amp his overstressing the amp was for his collection and nothing else. :angel: If I had not read about his penchant for "borrowing' other designs I would never have given his statement any thought. When I saw tuberollers post of the A10 I remember laughing out loud.

The HD300 was like the 6AS7 amp on headwise .... with the Woo 3 next in line and then the Dark Voice.

http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=waarde1_prj.htm

The Extreme has a different circuit than the ones mentioned. For one thing the amp is direct coupled; no coupling caps. The A10 actually showed up after I sold ray an EC HD300 .... which surprise, surprise used a single 6AS7 output with a seperate power supply. I remember when he bought the amp his overstressing the amp was for his collection and nothing else. :angel: If I had not read about his penchant for "borrowing' other designs I would never have given his statement any thought. When I saw tuberollers post of the A10 I remember laughing out loud.

The HD300 was like the 6AS7 amp on headwise .... with the Woo 3 next in line and then the Dark Voice.

thats the amp..

hey you had a post of headfi that you edited like 2 years later or some shit..it was about the hd300 and the edit came around the time of the extreme coming out..whats up with that? i never seen someone edit a post from two years ago///

oh and on the subject of RSA and SP....

Guest sacd lover

thats the amp..

hey you had a post of headfi that you edited like 2 years later or some shit..it was about the hd300 and the edit came around the time of the extreme coming out..whats up with that? i never seen someone edit a post from two years ago///

oh and on the subject of RSA and SP....

The edit had nothing to do with the Extreme. I was probably looking for something in one of those posts and saw a spelling error; so I fixed it. I do that whenever I see a post where I spelled a word wrong or left a word out. The question I might ask is why are you looking at my posts from two years ago?

I fail to see why Ray could not have said he didnt want to go head to head with SP? No more than he knows about tube circuits I wouldnt want to either if I were him.

i have been preaching "Ray come out with a $200-$300 Phonostage" a lot..in fact its a joke to us now. today on the phone I asked so hows that phonostage coming?..we just laughed...i keep telling him to do something in a Hornet case or some shit..small and cheap. what else is in that price range with phonos? a Valrei?...haha rite

the Cambridge 640p is under $200 and supposedly a really decent phono.

Because that is exactly what the A10 is, an exact copy of the extreme. And exactly

the same thing with the darkvoice and woo audio, which are also exactly the same thing.

really interesting...

Not entirely true. I can prove it if you wish.

KG two; earl zero ( miss information )

bet that's not entirely true too, though, I can't prove it.

The edit had nothing to do with the Extreme. I was probably looking for something in one of those posts and saw a spelling error; so I fixed it. I do that whenever I see a post where I spelled a word wrong or left a word out. The question I might ask is why are you looking at my posts from two years ago?

i was looking up tubes for the hd300 and hd25 when i first received mine. i didnt think anything about sp or extreme..just really never seen it before on a forums..well besides what lucci did awhile back. what do you think i am watching you?..im kidding

I fail to see why Ray could not have said he didnt want to go head to head with SP? No more than he knows about tube circuits I wouldnt want to either if I were him.

to be honest two things Earl's..1: i am not going there with you on this..we had more then enough SP and RSA chats..worthless to both of us. besides you sent me pics of your dogs..i dont argue with people that attempt to cheer me up..thansk man. 2: my point was the quoted convo from KG-z could not of happened..well actually i was really hoping for the reversing time thingy..i could use that!

:D