Is the iMod a ripoff?

ron mexico

Guest sacd lover

the Cambridge 640p is under $200 and supposedly a really decent phono.

really interesting...

KG two; earl zero ( miss information )

bet that's not entirely true too, though, I can't prove it.

Sorry, If the circuits were the same they would be the same .... show me any of the above mentioned amps (Woo6 / Darkvoice/ HD300) that are direct coupled. I get that the circuits are cathode followers but when have you seen these direct coupled. That is why the amp sounds so much more transparent .... IMO.

I got my EC info from mikey01. He told me, Craig told him, the HD300 was a simple circuit like the Headwize circuit and that the HD25 was a more sophisticated design.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The output stage of the extreme is NOT direct coupled. There is an output cap just like every single

other cathode follower setup except for my servo controlled bamaslama. That cap is where all the

changes in sound happen. The interstage coupling cap has much less of an effect on everything, especially if

it is a really good cap. Its all about the impedances involved. Big difference between 1 megohm and

32 ohms. Besides which a direct coupled output stage requires a power supply with both + and - voltages

and with high gain input tubes, that requires a seperate power supply too.

Last warning earl, knock off the bullshit. No need for it.

Now as far as the time machine, things for me are going really great and have been for

some time. I have no need for a time machine. Now maybe in 20 years i might need one

then i'll be able to whip one up in a weekend.

bet that's not entirely true too, though, I can't prove it.

Well, they are not exactly the same, but they are not far off.

The VanWaarde originally used a 6922 in the gain stage, but its really about 3 resistor changes to allow a 6SN7 to be put in there instead. Not that Ray would know to do that, :P

Guest sacd lover

The output stage of the extreme is NOT direct coupled. There is an output cap just like every single

other cathode follower setup except for my servo controlled bamaslama. That cap is where all the

changes in sound happen. The interstage coupling cap has much less of an effect on everything, especially if

it is a really good cap. Its all about the impedances involved. Big difference between 1 megohm and

32 ohms. Besides which a direct coupled output stage requires a power supply with both + and - voltages

and with high gain input tubes, that requires a seperate power supply too.

Now as far as the time machine, things for me are going really great and have been for

some time. I have no need for a time machine. Now maybe in 20 years i might need one

then i'll be able to whip one up in a weekend.

Maybe you need to ask Mikhail directly. I was told there are no coupling caps. I dont need BS you or anybody else. Notice there is no coupling cap upgrade for the Extreme; apparently there are none.

And i have a modification for any of those amps with that particular topology that for about

$10 in parts cuts the distortion by more than half and really improves the sound.

I wonder if it is the same modification that Fitz does.

Ok, so you were comparing them all together. I guess I am a little surprised that the Extreme is basically a better done Darkvoice after all that hype...

Guest sacd lover

Or none he wants to admit to.... >:D

Why would he not want to admit to having caps. He makes good money offering cap upgrades? But, most people have never even noticed.

other cathode follower setup....

:o

I was told there are no coupling caps. I dont need BS you or anybody else. Notice there is no coupling cap upgrade for the Extreme; apparently there are none.

possibly you are a little miss informed... shoveling the BS double-standard, very nice indeed.

I guess I am a little surprised that the Extreme is basically a better done Darkvoice after all that hype...

little surprises like exactly what's locked inside those SP chassis... :-\

it's unfortunate this hobby revolves so much around marketing hype.

Why would he not want to admit to having caps. He makes good money offering cap upgrades? But, most people have never even noticed.

tell us earl, if anyone should know it would be you. imo, you're making Mikhail look ridiculous since it seems he's either lying to you and others or doesn't really know exactly what's inside his amps or how to explain it properly. KG just doesn't seem like the uninformed type, but anything is possible I suppose.

Since the proton type of tube does not exist in this universe

then

EITHER

1) A DC coupled tube output section can only exist with multiple power supplies AND lots

and lots of solid state help.

OR

2) Be fully balanced where both outputs are lifted many volts above ground (typically half the B+ rail)

AND significant amounts of solid state help to maintain the difference between the outputs at zero

or lots and lots of extra tubes and extra power supplies to accomplish the same thing.

(generally considered to be unsafe)

OR

3) Be fully balanced with a circlotron topology with a minimum of 6 power supply voltages, 4 of which

must be fully isolated, plus fillament supplies.

The extreme is none of the above.

Jay,

Without offending, I doubt Fitz is doing this mod. He talks like its the greatest thing ever, but if I rember correctly, he is just reducing the hum? Two damn resistors on the AC heaters to ground will take care of that.

And the Extreme is a bit different than the DV. As I mentioned the Extreme has parallel output tubes, and better quality parts. Now its up to you to decide if all that makes up for the price difference. Depending on the power supply (specifically the current capability of the heater transformer) in the DV, it would be about a $15 job to modify it to parallel the output tubes.

Jay,

Without offending, I doubt Fitz is doing this mod. He talks like its the greatest thing ever, but if I rember correctly, he is just reducing the hum? Two damn resistors on the AC heaters to ground will take care of that.

And the Extreme is a bit different than the DV. As I mentioned the Extreme has parallel output tubes, and better quality parts. Now its up to you to decide if all that makes up for the price difference. Depending on the power supply (specifically the current capability of the heater transformer) in the DV, it would be about a $15 job to modify it to parallel the output tubes.

Two resistors to reduce the hum will have nothing to do with reducing the distortion. Definitely not what i'm talking about.

Yes the extreme uses 2 sections of each power tube in parallel for twice the current. As much as you are going to get out of a

single power tube unless you change to 6c33's. Different parts, sure, but are they better who knows, they do sound different.

Now power supplys,that is where there is a significant difference.

Note: the Zana Deux is not a cathode follower.

Can I post something on topic in here?

Having decided not to go for the new we-love-ALO-5G, my 4G iMod battery life went to shit, so I bought a new battery and had Vinnie put it in - turns out something is very wrong with the charging circuit and a new battery still discharges itself very rapidly.

So Vinnie offered to do the mods on another iPod for free, so I'm going with a refurb 5.5G 80Gb. Yep, that means the silly overpriced ALO stuff, but I'm just going with the connector with caps in it (w/o cable). So I'll report how it does when I get it.

I must say that I seriously doubt that Vinnie fried my iPod's circuit board whilst doing the mods, and even if he did, it's still quite generous to offer to mod another one for free. I've bought a few things from him over the years and his customer service has always been exemplary...

Guest sacd lover

tell us earl, if anyone should know it would be you. imo, you're making Mikhail look ridiculous since it seems he's either lying to you and others or doesn't really know exactly what's inside his amps or how to explain it properly. KG just doesn't seem like the uninformed type, but anything is possible I suppose.

Well 606, obviously I dont know or I would not have asked the question. Doesnt know what is inside his amps ??? .... more spin, spin, spin. ::)

Is that what you find with EC amps? I cant think of any other reason you would ask the question. SP buids there own amps they dont contract them out.

Well 606, obviously I dont know or I would not have asked the question. Doesnt know what is inside his amps ??? .... more spin, spin, spin. ::)

Is that what you find with EC amps? I cant think of any other reason you would ask the question. SP buids there own amps they dont contract them out.

spinning, please ::)

you're insecurity and immaturity never ceases to amaze. if he doesn't know what's inside or whatever else it could be makes you look putting it mildly, misinformed and continuing down this path is pretty ridiculous. obviously this has nothing to do with EC, but with KG calling you on your "BS" and dispelling your misinformation about SP amps, which isn't the first time. Mikhail doesn't building every single amp so what difference does it make if Craig hires experienced workers and Mikhail employees. Craig designs every thing and ensures an extremely high level of quality control over his products and he still builds too.

prediction: you'll now name call, use the "spin" word and attack EC or some combo. :laugh: