Is the iMod a ripoff?

ron mexico

I've always felt that this was one of head-fi's biggest problems. Sure, sure, I may seem like an ass when I say I've become increasingly annoyed with the newer members of head-fi, but i bet a lot of people would agree with me. the number of inane posts that populate head-fi makes my head spin. that's what's so nice about this place...there's no fake acceptance of people because we're forced to. if we don't like you, we let you know, and it's up to you to deal with it.

Just ignore them. Don't tell me you go through life without people annoying you. Do you leave the place where they are annoying you (assuming that you want to remain there) or do you ignore the person and do your best to have a good time? There is no wrong response but there are annoyances and then there are annoyances.

I can't put a MOT tag on anyone.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ignore them. Don't tell me you go through life without people annoying you. Do you leave the place where they are annoying you (assuming that you want to remain there) or do you ignore the person and do your best to have a good time? There is no wrong response but there are annoyances and then there are annoyances.

I can't put a MOT tag on anyone.

Sure, people annoy the shit out of me a lot. I can't even count the number of kids that pissed the fuck out of me at Northwestern, but yeah, I ignored them. Here's the difference though, if I didn't want to be around them, I didn't have to be. The thing about head-fi is that there is a constant influx of them, and they are unavoidable. They're in every sub-forum of that place posting ridiculous threads and posts that don't do much more than add to the mess that's already there.

Sure, people annoy the shit out of me a lot. I can't even count the number of kids that pissed the fuck out of me at Northwestern, but yeah, I ignored them. Here's the difference though, if I didn't want to be around them, I didn't have to be. The thing about head-fi is that there is a constant influx of them, and they are unavoidable. They're in every sub-forum of that place posting ridiculous threads and posts that don't do much more than add to the mess that's already there.

I don't buy that, I ignore them all the time.

Head-Case isn't for everyone and neither is Head-Fi. It's impossible to make everyone happy.

I'd agree with that. I like head-fi, I'm not banned there and don't have any especial intention to get banned. I do though have a much higher degree of trust in information posted here than there. I also think Head-case is more conducive to showing both sides whereas on HF if a mod opposes your view then you might as well just give up.

I don't buy that, I ignore them all the time.

what i don't buy is the fact that you don't seem to have a problem with it. understandably you're a mod over there and it's your job to "accept" everyone into a new community, but you're telling me that you wouldn't change the ways things are done over there seeing as how ridiculous that place has become in the past few years?

I'd agree with that. I like head-fi, I'm not banned there and don't have any especial intention to get banned. I do though have a much higher degree of trust in information posted here than there. I also think Head-case is more conducive to showing both sides whereas on HF if a mod opposes your view then you might as well just give up.

I don't agree with you as to the last portion of your statement but you have a right to feel that way. At least you still participate over there despite our imperfections.

Guest sacd lover

Same answer, I can't.

Tyrion,

Why doesnt someone apply the MOT title who can? Sovkiller is the USA/ Canada Rudistor distributor and has been for more than a year, maybe two .... and he doesnt have a MOT? Drarthurwells was given a MOT because he was working as Cattylinks technician and then suddenly his MOT is removed. But look at his signature the same shiling remains. ???

what i don't buy is the fact that you don't seem to have a problem with it. understandably you're a mod over there and it's your job to "accept" everyone into a new community, but you're telling me that you wouldn't change the ways things are done over there seeing as how ridiculous that place has become in the past few years?

I've never made it a secret that there are things that I would change and have tried to change. Some of those things have happened and some not. Usually it's because someone just hasn't gotten to it yet. I can't discuss much about this because I'm a mod. Again, I never said that there aren't some legitimate grievances. It's the way some people have gone about trying to change it that becomes the problem. Not everything is going to go your (not referring to you) way. I think the what has happened to this country in the last 6 years is shameful. I do the best to change it by voting and participating in other ways, not by calling people names, breaking the rules, etc.

And Ori. And Dr. Wells. Among many, many others.

Same answer, I can't.

Excuses excuses. You're telling me that you can't even bring it to the attention of the admin and ask them to take action? Are you saying you can't even delete their shilling posts and send them warnings? What kind of useless mod are you?

Tyrion,

Why doesnt someone apply the MOT title who can? Sovkiller is the USA/ Canada Rudistor distributor and has been for more than a year, maybe two .... and he doesnt have a MOT? Drarthurwells was given a MOT because he was working as Cattylinks technician and then suddenly his MOT is removed. But look at his signature the same shiling remains. ???

Do you think I don't know this? You know I can't discuss the "Why" or if there is a "Why". What I will say is that I don't think there is some nefarious reason for it.

What makes you think I haven't.

The results speak for themselves. They're still doing the same old shit as usual.

If you've been doing your fucking job, then one of several things will happen;

• The assholes shape up fast
  • The assholes get slapped with the proper MoT tags
  • The assholes get banned

None of the above have taken place, which means you're not doing your job or you're really fucking incompetent.

Same answer, I can't.

But you do have direct access (through the mod forum) to the people who can, right? If tomb can get noticed after selling 3 amps (for the cost of basically the parts, BTW) then what about at LEAST a half dozen folks at head-fi selling cables, amps, acting as manufacturer's reps, etc, that don't even try to hide it because for whatever reason they basically skate scot-free. As someone who has been repeatedly accused of being an MOT despite probably donating about $10,000 worth of my time, parts, and so on this drives me up a wall and undermines the very core of any debate on that site. There's not even a hint of impartiality on some folks part. Think of it this way, from my perspective it looks like you guys have the gun and constantly chose to ignore the guy raping the girl in the alley and shoot the guy j-walking who was just trying to keep an old lady from getting hit by a car. :-\

But you do have direct access (through the mod forum) to the people who can, right? If tomb can get noticed after selling 3 amps (for the cost of basically the parts, BTW) then what about at LEAST a half dozen folks at head-fi selling cables, amps, acting as manufacturer's reps, etc, that don't even try to hide it because for whatever reason they basically skate scot-free. As someone who has been repeatedly accused of being an MOT despite probably donating about $10,000 worth of my time, parts, and so on this drives me up a wall and undermines the very core of any debate on that site. There's not even a hint of impartiality on some folks part. Think of it this way, from my perspective it looks like you guys have the gun and constantly chose to ignore the guy raping the girl in the alley and shoot the guy j-walking who was just trying to keep an old lady from getting hit by a car. :-\

Of course I do. Don't assume that I haven't. Nate, I can't disagree with you. There are plenty that get away with shit. I've caught some and done something about it. Again, I've never said that there aren't legitimate grievances. We do the best we can, with the time we have and don't get everything right. I don't have the answers to all the questions. I wish I did. I can't tell you how many times I've caught something and was going to do something about only to have life get in the way and then forget about it.

Nate, I can't disagree with you. There are plenty that get away with shit. I've caught some and done something about it. Again, I've never said that there aren't legitimate grievances. We do the best we can, with the time we have and don't get everything right. I don't have the answers to all the questions. I wish I did. I can't tell you how many times I've caught something and was going to do something about only to have life get in the way and then forget about it.

I can understand that, and understand that it's only the admins (there are only 2, right) that can apply the MOT tag but man, I have to tell you, it makes all of you look bad when that stuff goes unchecked. And it'd be one thing if it was just that it took a little while for the changes to be put into effect but we're going on a period of years, during which other MOT's have been dealt with, and still these characters walk around like they own the place.

Seriously, I'm surprised that more sponsors haven't pulled out as a result of it.

i can't believe that it takes that long to send a PM or edit a thread.

Honestly Jacob, given the amount of shit that they have to sift through and how few mods there are that are active at all I'm not all that surprised. Head-Fi could use 4x the number of mods especially considering that there's a good number that don't log on hardly at all any more.

Guest sacd lover

Do you think I don't know this? You know I can't discuss the "Why" or if there is a "Why". What I will say is that I don't think there is some nefarious reason for it.

If the MOT rules are basic guidelines of the forum how can you ignore them or look over them? You dont ignore any of your other rules. I am not asking for a discussion I just dont understand how this can happen period.

I will say, if there is a reason someone on head-fi decides to apply a MOT it is done immediately; like with tomb .... or Pink Floyd whom I agree deserved the MOT designation. But, I remember when Sovkiller was called out. Aaron stated they would be addressing Sovkiller's MOT status .... soon ... and of course all of the posts pointing out Sovkiller was a distributor were deleted from the thread. That was last October, no MOT designation yet .... and he continues to shill away. ???

Trust me, this site isn't payback for anything. You can choose to believe that but it's not. The only thing that links the two sites is that there are people here that post there and there are people here that aren't permitted to post there. I understand the underpinnings to this site (at least I think I do) and some of the criticism is appropriate and some is not, imo. Plenty of people post at Head-Fi without the need to raise there voice. In the end it's just a website, like this is or take your pick. I happen to enjoy it mostly for the friends I've made through it. People can choose the way they want to criticize someone or something. You can do it like an adult or you can do it other ways. It's your (not referring to you) choice. I don't have to agree with it anymore than you don't have to agree with me.
You misunderstand, by 'this' I mean Trose49's reception here. I was not saying that head-case is payback for head-fi...

If the MOT rules are basic guidelines of the forum how can you ignore them or look over them? You dont ignore any of your other rules. I am not asking for a discussion I just dont understand how this can happen period.

I will say, if there is a reason someone on head-fi decides to apply a MOT it is done immediately; like with tomb .... or Pink Floyd whom I agree deserved the MOT designation. But, I remember when Sovkiller was called out. Aaron stated they would be addressing Sovkiller's MOT status .... soon ... and of course all of the posts pointing out Sovkiller was a distributor were deleted from the thread. That was last October, no MOT designation yet .... and he continues to shill away. ???

Again, what makes you think I've ignored them? If it's because they don't have MOT tags, then you would be wrong. I can't discuss what has or hasn't been done or discussed about this.