AKG K271S

humanflyz

I just go these today, and overall I'm very impressed: they sound really good for their price. They don't have the technical abilities of other high-end phones, but they do no nothing wrong, have a very involving midrange, and an intimate soundstage. I do wish that their earpads are bigger/deeper, as their shallowness make them not really circumaural to my ears.

But what surprised me the most was how hard they are to drive. I had to turn my Lavry up past where I usually listen at for the HD650s. I can't wait to hear them out of my soon-coming Dynahi.

Yep, you just described the K271S in a nutshell. They, like nearly all AKG headphones have a low sensitivity, so despite their low impedance, they take a high volume position. And of course they suck a ton of current out of your amp, relative to other headphones, so they become doubly demanding. I pity the fool using K271's out of an ipod.

• 11 months later...

A tad too small for me - couldn't use it as a 'long-termer' without some adjustment. I can't remember whether I actually did the adjustments or not.

Also kind of an inbetween-phone for me despite their undoubted prowess for a closed phone. Too dorky for outside use, and also these days I can use open phones indoors.

I have a pair of these that I use at work with a Sony D33 and a Dynalo (although the D33 drives them surprisingly well). I like them but they are somewhat colored. Isolation is good though... I need to get a pair of the velour pads for mine.

I need to get a pair of the velour pads for mine.

Dew eet. They make the cans so much more comfortable.

I like mine, but they haven't been getting use of late since I got myself blue tri-flange tips for my Etys. I (re)purchased K271 to use at home/computer when I needed isolation since inserting (and taking out) semi-frequently Etys was too much of hassle. Blue tri-flange tips changed all that as they are so much easier to insert than regular tri-flanges. As such, K271 now sits getting not much use.

The velour pads improve comfort considerably. Additionally, they appear to help with the problem of shallowness. Overall, a big improvement in function and comfort for me :)

Ditto. I bought another pair of velour pads for my 271 even before I got them. I won't use pleather pads, too uncomfortable for me.

Yup. I bought both pairs of my velours form headroom. A bit more expensive, but I at least get them withing the next year or so.

If getting AKG pads, buy from Headroom. I *still* don't have the second K701 pad, but hopefully Frank really put the order in this time and I get it this week.