Fostex TH-900 -- $2K flagship headphone from Fostex is super sexy and closed

Dusty Chalk

Those are a lot more than 2K, though, aren't they? I was actually trying to think of what the best closed currently-available headphones were, and I couldn't think of anything really top tier, like those or the Leatherheads. If I recall correctly, there was something else that sounded really boomy without adequate control (read: amplification), but can't for the life of me remember what. I'm sure there were lots of things. Oh, wait, I remember: the DT-770.

I am not averse to a little EQ in those cases, though. It's easier to subtract bass than it is to add it, when it comes to headphones.

Does Audio-Technica have anything out right now? Blue-Tin has the Raffinato for just under a thou, and the next one down is the 950 (which I vaguely recall prefering to the Raffinato).

I did see JohnWMclean's post in the meet reactions thread over on head-fi, that's what triggered me to go look for comments here -- I didn't find any.

When I listened to these Fostex headphones at RMAF last year I thought the mids were a bit sucked out in relation to the bass and treble. I don't feel that they were balanced and realistic enough to be worth $2K, although they felt more detailed than a stock Denon D7000 for example. But I'm not sure I would buy them, even if they were much cheaper.

[edit - have the sound of these changed in the past year since I heard them?]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Considering the author of the mod uses Ed9 as main listening devices, I'd think twice before going too far with the scissors. The DX-1000 aren't definitive headphones, by no means, but are a lot of fun and can be driven by about anything. At $900, considering current madness about prices and quality, they're OK if one enjoys a bit of bass immersion from time to time. The only really important downside IMHO is the honky-boxy coloration which appears on some recordings in the voices. Some people, once find it out, might get really annoyed.

I liked the Fostex quite a bit except for one little snag: piercing / harsh sounding trumpet on Miles Davis "Someday my prince shall come". It's not in the recording if I am to trust the many different kinds of headphones / rigs I tried with this sample recording. Might have been my ears conditions on that day but no other gear sounded like that (including a sanity check with my stax rig when I got back home on that day).

Does Audio-Technica have anything out right now? Blue-Tin has the Raffinato for just under a thou, and the next one down is the 950 (which I vaguely recall prefering to the Raffinato).

There's the ATH-W3000ANV Limited Edition (2000 units produced). I bought one a few months ago and so far I'm still really liking it, in fact I like it more as time goes on.

At a recent meet I had the opportunity to listen to these out of a Weiss 202 DAC, they sounded superb for closed phones.

Edit, btw the above impression was straight after I had been listening to the T2 with the 007 and 009’s grin.gif .

Straight out of DAC202's headphone jack?? I own a DAC202, but I wouldn't run a $2K 'phone out of that headphone jack, much less a 25 Ohm 'phone like TH-900 afro.gif

Better than your R10s?

I said 'possibly' because I had the R10s in mind. It depends. The R10 is pretty much top of the hill for classical (especially well recorded, large orchestral material) but is kinda colored so I could see somebody not liking it at all. The Paradox is probably a lot better at rock/pop.

Not really stellar for a 2Kilobucks headphone undecided.gif

Antonio, in my opinion the graph isn't bad at all. There is a bit too much midbass, but otherwise the midrange to treble balance seems about right, in my opinion.

I have read somewhere that they can be obtained for as low as 1400$, which is still very expensive, but they could well deserve it (especially considering prices of high end orthos, dynamics and stats lately).