This thread is about headphone brands we don't know

screaming oranges

Seems we always start a thread about some new headphone out there that doesn't fit into the usual Sennheiser, Stax, Grado, AKG, etc etc etc family.

Why not keep it all in one place as these threads seem to not go beyond a few pages anyway? Just a thought (might be a dumbass thought, who knows).

Anyway, I wanted to start off with this:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mozaex-bluwaves-7-1-hd-headphones-are-crazy-expensive-2012-08-1/

Superlux, anyone? I have heard the HD668b and the HD662 and for the money they are really swell. Nowadays I keep recommending them to many of my friends (even got one for my pops for birthday). Good at technicalities but compared to my HD25-II and HD650 they show some weakness tonality wise.

^ I have listened to both as well as the HD661 and for the money (under $50) they are ok. I have the Samson SR850 which Carl had an opportunity to listen to recently and he seemed to like them. The SR850 set me back $33 with S&H and I believe for the money they are superb.

Not sure if relevant, but I've got some Superlux drum mics, which I bought new ten years ago. The buzz about them at the time was that they had been contracted to make microphones for all the big companies in China for years, and eventually decided to take their experience and make decent knockoffs. The mics I have sound pretty good for live applications. I also have a large-diaphragm studio condenser mic from them, which I haven't used enough to have any impressions.

So, I conclude my pointless ramble by stating that I guess it's no great surprise that they're making headphones now too. Or maybe they always were.

Don't know really. I apologize if I have offended any of the true 'shiners, it was just the local self distilled. Was quite good despite the distinct yeast aroma as it didn't give off any burning after taste. I always seem to guess the correct proof because when it goes beyond 50 the back of my head always goes itchy. And usually no one goes beyond 60, must be too much hassle.

And all the listening tests for today have also been tainted by Georgian wine and cheap rum. I was actually quite disappointed by the wine because for the price I was expecting something more sophisticated but got a half-decent dessert wine. So yeah, here goes the second attempt at doing listening tests.

My main main beef is the bass. It's too boomy. Tests like these make me appreciate the work put in by Sennheiser engineers even more. Also the treble seems either too monitory for my tastes or just plain peaky. Or it must be Havana Club.

That wasn't poor. It's that I just read that moonshine indeed could be distilled in upper nineties. Our shiners never go that far up, the usual is about 40 or even lower. The only thing I like at 80 proof is absinthe but usually the stuff I can get around here is pretty bad. Nonetheless inhaling burnt absinthe vapors has made some pretty interesting stories that include me and some philosophy studentresses. Nowadays I only mix absinthe together with energy drink and champagne. The mix pretty much competes with Long Island Ice Tea in stopping power. Once I even added Jaegermeister for extra kick.

Ah, I read more into the way how proof is calculated. Here in EU we usually use percentage as a notifier how much (volume, I guess) of the beverage is pure ethanol. Turns out then that the stuff I drank the other day would be 55% or 96.25° if multiplied by 1,75.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...