New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

Right direct from Oppo themselves on their Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/OPPODIGITAL

We generally release new players every 18 to 24 months. A new player will likely be released by the end of the year.

Best bets: Dual core at least, 4k, latest Marvell QDEO video processing, wouldn't be surprised to see a higher end variant come out in 2013 to succeed the 95.

Overall, I expect to see further improvements and streamlining/addition of features for the Internet, streaming, supported files, etc. etc.

That's been their cycle to a tee and it's a safe bet it's going to happen again here if that's anything to go by.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Eric5676

From yesterday:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291855/official-oppo-bdp-93-owners-thread/22700_100#post_22371755

"There won't be any more brand-new BDP-93's. We're anticipating a replacement model later this year, but we do not have a release date or any more details at this time. There should be more information to share soon, so please stay tuned.

Best regards,"

Derek Bushman

OPPO Digital Inc.

www.oppodigital.com

(650) 961-1118

http://www.oppodigital.com/

The 93 is out of stock. This is the typical "something's about to happen or be announced" pattern for Oppo. 95 is still in stock for now.

Something a lot more meaningful and specific as a response to an email I sent directly:

I emailed them and got back this:

New 93's are gone for good but we have plenty of new BDP-95s. No rush to move them out.

We plan to have the specs for the 93 replacement in approximately 2 weeks. The 95 replacement is also in the works but could very well slide into 2013 for launch.

As before, the 93 successor will come out first and we're shooting to start selling some time in October. The 95 successor's design has not been finalized.

Again, watch for news within the next couple of weeks.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc. “

More:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384419/2012-oppo-or-other-new-bd-player-coming-out-this-year-worth-waiting-for/0_100#post_22379222

Start from that post and work your way down. We have some cam shots and the units will be the 103 and 105.

This will turn heads here:

Went out to dinner tonight which included seeing the Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105.

Haven't had time to post the details at our CEDIA blogs yet but I will soon.

You'll see nice changes like HDMI/MHL inputs for video processing, 1080p Netflix with 5.1 audio, and a 105 with USB. Optical, and Coaxial inputs to use the DAC for audio.

Time to write them up and post the really, really horrible pictures I have of them.

Edited by Eric5676

^^ A lot of you here wanted Oppo to add onboard DAC capabilities and that is confirmed for the new 105 unit in the previous post. What DACs are they going to use? I'm sure it'll be some of the best...probably ESS Sabre again in a "worse case" scenario. I think these players are going to hit a lot of marks for a lot of people. Stay tuned.

For the hit and runs:

These are the confirmed new features thus far over the existing 93/95 line:

New or Enhanced BDP-103/105 Shared Features:

• Latest generation QDEO which supports 4K upscaling
  • 2x2 HDMI. Two HDMI inputs; Two HDMI outputs.
  • The Front HDMI input supports MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) which allows some of the newer smartphones to be connected direct to the player and transmits the phones screen to the television. This also allows for ROKU Stick support.
  • Newest Netflix interface which supports 1080p video, multi-channel audio, subtitle and alternative language selection, and Family Interface
  • Gracenote for looking up media information such as album art, artist, album, and track information for your CD, SACD, and user generated media
  • Backlit Eject buttons. No more thumbing around in the dark.
  • No more analog video. There is a "DIAG" port, but this is to only see the OPPO UI when there is no media playback. So for those of you who use a small monitor for media playback, you will need to upgrade to a DVI/HDMI capable display.

New BDP-105 Only Features:

• Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
    • Headphone Amplifier
    • Optical, Digital Coaxial and asynchronous USB DAC
    • Properly oriented XLR outputs

That's right. The 105 is going to be DAC, headphone amp, and a partridge in a pear tree basically.

Edited by Eric5676
  • Like 1

Question - since it would have hdmi input, you could hook up say your cable feed to it and benefit from it's awesome up scaling capabilities, correct? My current cable box is setup to output native which means the tv (panny g25) is doing the up scaling, but the oppo is I'm sure way better.

Edit: apologize for the avsforum tone in this post. Those videophiles are nuts.

Edited by recstar24

so the Oppo BR players sound good?

Quite. The folks under NDA are doing some clever tapdancing in that AVS thread I linked to but there's some tidbits that are getting posted that are worth taking a glance at that thread every so often for.

recstar:

Question - since it would have hdmi input, you could hook up say your cable feed to it and benefit from it's awesome up scaling capabilities, correct? My current cable box is setup to output native which means the tv (panny g25) is doing the up scaling, but the oppo is I'm sure way better.

Edit: apologize for the avsforum tone in this post. Those videophiles are nuts.

The question about HDMI inputs:

I asked about those directly in the thread. We'll see if the NDA allows them to answer it yet.

If they say yes and the Oppos can be used like external videoprocessors and switchers ... the QDEO videoprocessing is the best on the market and I'll be making plans to sell my DVDO Duo in short order to subsidize the upgrade.

Edited by Eric5676

Thats awesome eric. Thanks for actually reading avsforum smile.png

All part of the service. wink.png It is pretty easy to get lost in the techno jargon and some of the crazy arguments that happen. I skim and lurk when I'm interested in something. My patience goes out the window not too long after that.

Edited by Eric5676

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread/100_100#post_22384837

TRANSLATION: The Oppo will be recognized (by the PC) as an external sound card to decode all your audio files, including DSD files (SACD ISO or DSDiff files, as offered by some music sites like HighResAudio)

That's credible.

No one's shot it down including the guys in that thread that I know are pretty close to Oppo and under NDAs. The silence speaks volumes.