New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

Licensing and patents

No licenses or payments are required to be able to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[36] This reason alone makes AAC a much more attractive format to distribute content than MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio).[citation needed]

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[37] For this reason free and open source softwareimplementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)

key: source form only

If you have the patience, that AVS thread has basically gotten into a back and forth about AIFF and it's best for you all to read it for yourselves but long/short: There's ways to get around the problem and so forth so IMO...best read but others may come away different...I don't see a "deal breaker" situation here.

So prior to my current job, I'd never have considered plugging a hard drive into a bluray player as being preferable to having a media server. That said, NOW I'd do it. Stupid "you can't bring a non-gov't owned computer, or anything with internet access to work" rule.

So yah, I'd love it if the oppo played alac from a usb connected hard drive. Someone make that happen, please. I'd spend the $1000 on the oppo, plus money on the headphone amp (why did I sell my g-lite?)..maybe if I bring in the mini and apogee, but turn off wifi they'll allow it?

It depends on the facility, but most of the facilities that I've ever heard of won't let you take anything with wireless capability into the lab, unless it is defeatable. True story, albeit second-hand -- a certain person I know had to turn over their laptop to the security techs, so that they could take the internal wireless card out (obviously not the kind that's built into the motherboard). These days, that separation is a lot harder to find than you'd think.