New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

Official Press Release:

OPPO Announces Two New Blu-ray Player Models

BDP-103 and BDP-105 Provide High Definition Video and Audio from All Sources

MOUNTAIN VIEW, California – Sept 19, 2012 – After an award-winning streak of nearly two years by the acclaimed BDP-93 and BDP-95 Blu-ray players, OPPO Digital announced two new universal Blu-Ray Disc players today.

The BDP-103 and BDP-105 are premium universal Blu-ray DiscTM players that support Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), HDCD, and CD formats. Additionally, the players feature three USB ports as well as wired and wireless networking to support popular video and audio file formats including AVCHD, MKV video, high-resolution WAV and FLAC music, and digital photos. The players provide access to popular entertainment network services including Netflix®, VUDU®, Film Fresh®, Pandora® and YouTube®, with more to come.

OPPO products are known for their excellent picture quality, and the BDP-103 and BDP- 105 continue in this tradition. Using a two-step video processing approach that utilizes a custom dual-core SoC and the latest generation of Marvell's Qdeo® video processor, the players deliver a stunning theatrical experience with true-to-life picture. Additional video processing features include 4K up-scaling, 2D-to-3D conversion, 1080p24Hz output, HDMI 1.4 with Deep Color, Source Direct output, and extensive picture control and enhancement options. Two HDMI outputs are provided, adding to the players' versatility by allowing one output to be used for video and the other for audio, and even enabling the player to drive two displays at the same time.

On the audio side, both players support all of the high-resolution audio formats with bit- stream output and onboard decoding of Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD® Master AudioTM. For SACD playback, users can choose between sending native DSD or converted PCM through the HDMI and analog outputs depending on their preference and equipment compatibility. The BDP-103 provides a configurable 7.1ch analog output that can be used in stereo, 5.1ch or 7.1ch mode. The BDP-105 adds audiophile-grade components including an analog output section sporting two ESS Sabre32 Reference DACs, a newly designed Toroidal linear power supply, dedicated stereo outputs with both RCA and XLR balanced connections, and a headphone amplifier connected directly to the DAC.

Last but not least, customers have always asked for ways to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions provided by the OPPO players, and the new players answer this request by adding two HDMI input ports, one on the front and one on the back, with the front HDMI input doubling as a Mobile High-definition Link (MHL®) input. Users can connect external devices such as set-top boxes, network streaming devices, and even mobile phones to take advantage of the players' video processing power. The BDP-105 takes this a step further by adding an asynchronous USB

DAC input that supports the USB Audio 2.0 standard, along with additional coaxial and optical digital inputs. Users can stream bit-perfect audio from their computer to the BDP- 105 without worrying about the jitter performance of their computer's master clock thanks to the USB DAC's asynchronous clock mode.

The BDP-103 and BDP-105 are designed for user convenience and installation flexibility. Beyond the included back-lit remote control, the players can be controlled via its IR IN, RS-232 control ports, and mobile phone control apps. Users will appreciate the quick startup and fast disc loading performance of these players. Accented with a heavy gauge brushed aluminum front panel, dimmable display and a sturdy chassis, the players fit well with any home theater environment or sound system.

The suggested retail prices are $499 for the BDP-103 and $1199 for the BDP-105. Although the exact launch date has not yet been set, OPPO expects to release the BDP- 103 in October and the BDP-105 by the end of 2012. The players can be ordered directly from the OPPO Digital web site http://www.oppodigital.com or purchased through authorized resellers.

http://www.head-fi.o...viewed-at-cedia

Got my email. Ordering 103. NDAs lifted except for last detail beta testing and such.

Again, I highly recommend going to Oppo's site and registering for whichever player you might be interested in. There's no commitment but if you get that email and want it don't hesitate.

Edited by Eric5676

Anyone know if the Oppos can run headless? Never figured that out.

I know the old ones needed a screen for configuration and DVD-A's, at the very least.

I run my old Oppo DVD upscaler without a screen but I just play CDs through it. I have no clue about the new ones.

Edited by shellylh

I'm very impressed so far. Fast, clean, super quiet and smooth operation...pretty much everything you've seen hyped here I can sign off on. Feel free to ask any questions since I'm not sure what people are looking for. HDMI inputs work as advertised so nice video processing boosts there. No auto switching there, though, which isn't any big whoop. Fairly hefty build quality at this price point, too. Even the tray drawer mechanism is noticeably improved on vs the 83 that I had. I'm not worried about this player developing a ravenous appetite for discs like my 83 did.

HDCD decoding is sweet. Playback is faster than the 83 was. Everything's faster. Menu interface is pretty slick.

$500 for this thing is a steal IMHO. I know that's not a small price tag but it's a heck of a value for what it is. If anyone's got any questions fire away and I'll do the best I can. :)

If this unit is anything to by, I can see where the 105 at $1200 is going to be a great value at its price point as well for what's essentially everything I've stated here plus high quality DAC, headphone amp, and full fledged preamp capabilities.