New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

How do we know it has preamp capabilities, i.e., volume control? I will buy the 105 if I can plug the cable box into it and have the multichannel audio output go directly to a multichannel amp without a pre/pro in the middle.

It's all over the place. The 105 is a pre amp, headphone amp, DAC, video processor, and oh yeah, it plays discs, too. wink.png Yes, it has volume control.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/

Down for the moment for whatever reason. Should be back online soon I would hope.

Edited by Eric5676

If you go to the first link in 129 above and go to support you can download the 105 manual. The remote has a volume + - button. Since you can choose among multiple digital inputs it acts as a digital preamp. So when are you buying one?

Thanks Jim, that settles it. I signed up for notification the other day and I will get one as soon as it is available. This resolves my Mayberry family room dilemma without getting a new pre/pro or using an outdated one. I already have the 5-channel McCormack amp, so I will plug the Comcast output into the Oppo and use it to select source and control volume to the amp. Should be sweet and the headphone output will be nice for games or late night TV. Good timing given that I am about to mount the TV and Gallo speakers finally.

When I had a TacT preamp serviced once in the past, they sent it back to me with the digital audio output enabled without telling me even though it was disabled when I sent it to them. When I hooked it up to my McCormack DNA-500, it caused a massively horrible sound out of my Gallo 3.0s as soon as I hit play on the CDP. I turned it off quickly, but when I looked at the Gallos the tweeters had holes burned right through them. Turns out that enabling the digital output for some reason also set the analog preamp out at full line out so all 500 watts were surged into the speaker. Fun times.

Eric -- can it do phantom center? I.E. redirect the center channel to the front left + right?
If you go to the first link in 129 above and go to support you can download the 105 manual.
To answer my own question, I took this advice, and the answer is yes. You can configure a variety of mixdown options just by turning certain speakers off, as well as the ability to change 'size' and distance. So yes, it seems to be a fully functional pre-pro, other than the lack of analog inputs.