New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

foobar with sacd plugin or korg software from iso direct or

sonore ripping iso to dsdiff then dff file to memory card for fiio x5ii etc or

(when you rip to dff you might as well strip away the multi-channel stuff to save on storage)

copy/map to any number of streamers/music boxes (like sony)

your choice of pure dsd, or dop

Edited by kevin gilmore

7 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

foobar with sacd plugin or korg software from iso direct or

sonore ripping iso to dsdiff then dff file to memory card for fiio x5ii etc or

(when you rip to dff you might as well strip away the multi-channel stuff to save on storage)

copy/map to any number of streamers/music boxes (like sony)

your choice of pure dsd, or dop

Why not DSF?  I'm using Sonore just like Todd to convert ISO into DSF.  Then I tag each album with artwork in Jriver to complete the process.  If I want to save space, I use Jriver to down covert DSF into 24/88.2 FLAC files for portable uses.  However, those FLAC files seem to loose some minor but audible fidelity during the conversion process.  Sadly I got addict to DSD (due to better mastering over redbook) and now I even use them on my ZX2/ZX100.  Of course, the ZX2/ZX100 also double as my portable digital transport to any USB DAC.

Edited by purk

I have an Oppo BDP-93EU from the beginnings with the old firmware -  ISO support, no Cinavia, SACD-R I do not know what was taken out from the fw yet. The network firmware update can be disabled but I am not brave to connect it to the internet, that is true there is not much network possibilities in the EU version. What do you think about the Pioneer BDP-170 it is always on on the network anytime can be updated ?

Edited by judo

• 1 month later...

Did anybody notice the posting of this new teaser pic? Estimated price of $499, $1,199 for UDP-205: http://oppodigital.com/uhd/

Some details from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/23/hands-on-with-the-oppo-udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/

and more from Audioholics: http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-udp-203-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

I'm potentially excited too, but have some reservations.....

Not sure if I read correctly, but price may be $500-ish (also heard $800).  Taking the HA-1 and removing the (very good) amp section, I can understand that pricing.

But the pre/line output was not the best-sounding part of the HA-1 I think.  And I'd guess the new Sonica DAC may have the same limitations....price point and all....

We'll see.  I'll probably be fanboy enough to buy when it first comes out.  And maybe there will be a mod market for it if needed.....

I find the HA-1 lineout to be a tad grainny to my ears Todd.  However, I did improve the sound to a degree with a good DIY USB cable.  I know some people do not believe in them but it was immediately audible to me.  So I really enjoy the HA-1 now and it currently serves as my office rig.

I'm ripping ISOs to .dsf, which works a treat.  Doing it straight command line with .bat files and context menus.  Uses a Mr_Wicked script for the .ISO to DFF, then a script written by Jussi Laako (Of HQPlayer) for the DFF to DSF preserving the metadata in the .ISO.

I don't play anything with JRiver any longer, after switching to Roon and HQPlayer, but I still use JRiver for metadata, tagging, and organization.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the BDP-105D is discontinued. I've given up on HDCD, so I'll look forward to reading reviews of the upcoming UDP-203 and 205.

There's very little information about their audio sections, but I'm hoping they've been improved (not that there's anything wrong with the 105's output).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The UPD-203 is out now – they've released the stats, etc. on the product page. The transport, DACs, user interface, etc. are all updated.

First review (not much about audio quality): http://www.techhive.com/article/3151112/home-bluray/oppo-udp-203-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-review-a-class-act-with-awesome-audio-capabilities.html

The UDP-205 is coming out in early 2017.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 0:09 PM, HiWire said:

...the upcoming UDP-203 and 205.

There's very little information about their audio sections, but I'm hoping they've been improved (not that there's anything wrong with the 105's output).

I noticed that, too, I wonder if they didn't put a lot of emphasis on the audio outs because most people will be connecting it digitally to an audio system.  I wonder if the UDP-205 will be any better.  I wonder if there will be an audio upgrade version, or if they will just expect you to get a DAC.

•  

Most likely because there's nothing much to say. It will sound great to most people but they don't want to cannibalize their UDP-205 audiophile sales. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more reviews of the UDP-203 and 205 after the New Year.

Edited by HiWire