US National Park/conservation area. Lets Discuss !!

forbigger

Folks, I'm a non US citizen but travels to US most of the time. Since I took up photography hobby (outside the headphone), I've been exploring the national park/conservation area on every visit. Here are my thoughts in general:

1. Yosemite : Crowded. Not many good spots for hunting (photography wise). You turn your head anywhere its this Half Dome. Most of the spots are easily a within short hike except Half Dome (which I dont have the stomach to climb). Overall I'm a bit disappointed with the park. But seems to me this is the most visited park in US. The gift shop is huge. Maybe come back in winter for some awesome shot.

2. Zion : Like this one. Been there once. Lots of hike and nice spots to explore. Havent got balls to climb up to Angel Landings though. Would love to be able to explore the Subway one day. Clean, easily accessible, lots of nice spots to take pictures. Definitely come back one day to explore the Subway.

3. Antelope Canyon : Love this. Easily one of the easiest spot to produce a "professional grade" photography for newbie like me. All you need to tinker with W/B. Easy hike and fantastic view/surrounding. But for me this is a "one time visit is enough" spot. For those shutter bugs, try to visit on weekdays or else forget about shooting.

4. Death Valley/Race track : For me race track is a total let down. Blame the weather, not the place. Even though the place it self is nothing to shout about and the travel to get to race track is quite long. Contrary to what I read, you dont need an SUV or 4x4 to get there. Any regular sedan is good enough. I went there @the height of winter in the middle of freaking night to try to catch some star trails but the moon is giving us her full strength so no good. In the early morning theres no cloud so the trip is pretty much wasted. Death Valley is a huge National Park (2nd biggest, CMIIW), lots of place to explore, minimal hiking but some phenomenal view and shots I've seen is from Death Valley. No time to get to the salt bed or dunes due to the storm. But would like to come back again.

5. Red Rock, Vegas : its hard to believe you could find such a sanctuary only 30 minutes drive from hustle and bustle of Vegas. Park is dirty. Quite a numerous hiking trails. Went as far as Calico Basin. Didnt have time to climb to Turtle Head. Nothing special here but worth a trip if you want to get away and find something different from Vegas.

My short term bucket list : The Wave, Monument Valley, Oregon - beach front or forest with its water falls, Death Valley Dunes and salt lake, The Subway @ Zion.

Long term : Yellowstone, Montana

Very long term : Denali to shoot/see Aurora Borealis.

Please share here on your experiences if any of you have been to any of my bucket list. Also any other National Park/Conservation area you guys been to.

I've been to Yellowstone, and it's really stunning. Not just for the other wordly geography, but for the nature.

Rocky Mountain was really pretty. Bright, colorful, very scenic mountains, wildlife ... We camped there, and I really enjoyed it; I usually barley tolerate camping and only go to make my wife happy.

Glacier National Park was nice for its lakes, and scenic vistas from the tops of mountains.

The Banff in Canada has huge, sweeping forests with trees as far as the eye can see. I took a train ride through it on the way to Vancouver when I was a kid on a family trip.

Grand Canyon is a bit obvious, but needs to be seen!

This summer we went to Algonquin Park and Bruce Peninsula, both provincial parks in Ontario, Canada. Beautiful water, trees, and pretty unknown, so very few people around.

These next places I've never been, but my wife has. I should say that my wife is the tree hugger of our family. She'd love to visit every National Park in her lifetime, and is the amateur photographer for the family. In her alternative universe life, she'd want to be a National Geographic nature photographer.

Arches in Utah - she says it has really unique rock formations.

Zion in Utah is full of beautiful canyons and rock formations and is less touristy than most locations.

Her bucket list: Crater Lake in Oregon for its spectacular views and interesting perfectly round crater lake from a volcanic eruption.

Curious where you live?

My top three:

Denali - The best true wilderness experience by a long shot.

Big Bend - Very underutilized (i.e. not crowded). Beautiful landscapes and stark contrasts between desert and mountain areas.

Volcanos National Park - The closest you will probably get to walking on a moonscape.

Im from South East Asia. Indonesia to be exact. I traveled like twice or more to US every year. And for the past 1.5 years I've made friends who is a semi professional photographer and knows his way to get around in West coast and its surrounding area. So when my job is done, I usually spare between 2-3 days to explore.

Its surprising that I havent been to Grand Canyon at all. The staple for every tourist into US. I just dont have the desire to get there for stupid reason because its just too commercialized and common. Regardless, I will put GC into my long term bucket list......

Im going to put The Arches in my short term bucket list. I'd love to go to Denali as I've seen some utterly fantastic shot of the place. But I would like to explore West first like California, Nevada (which I'm based at during my every travel), Utah, AZ, all the way up to Ohio. Then start to mid west. Expenses to Denali I heard is prohibitive thus I'm holding it. For me Denali is like the 009/BHSE setup in our world.......

also there's this pro-photographer goes by the name of Marc Adamus. He had a paid outing for photography and charges like $1.5k for 4-5 days excursion. He will bring us to the places off the beaten path and take some of the not so common shots

Edited by forbigger

I spend a lot of time in Jasper National Park, in Alberta. It's quite a bit less commercial than Banff, and you can get away from the throngs of tourists quite easily by stepping into the backcountry.

Though I've never been, I've heard nothing but good things about Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta, which is contiguous with Glacier National Park in Montana. I want very much to do a road trip through the southern parks, close to the US border. Grasslands National Park looks stunning from the photos I've seen, and Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park looks good too.

I've been to Gros Morne National Park, on the west coast of Newfoundland, and I cannot recommend that trip enough. It's got all the rugged mountain beauty of Banff and Jasper, combined with ocean, and there were hardly any tourists at all. The overnight ferry ride from Nova Scotia was really cool, too.

I live just a few miles from Riding Mountain National Park, which is 3000 km^2 of mixed boreal-aspen parkland in Manitoba. We've got a few sprawling vistas one can enjoy in solitude, and the wildlife viewing opportunities are definitely here. Moose, elk, black bears (highest density in North America), lynx, and wolves are relatively common, as are various owls and other birds that bird people like to watch in the early morning. I've got space to host if anyone wants to make the trip.

Edited by acidbasement

If you're looking for isolation, Valley of the Gods in Utah is definitely the place to be. Not a structure in sight, and only a dirt road leading into it. Pretty spectacular. I'm not sure if you're allowed to camp or stay overnight - legally, that is - but I've been on a photo workshop where we did a sunset/moonrise shoot and it's still one of the best memories of my life. There's a spot in the valley where every sound you make reverberates exactly 7 times. A pretty mystical place all things considered, but a bit out of the way. If you make a trip to Monument Valley, it's only about an hour away.

Capitol Reef national park is where all the hot landscape photo action is these days, it's not all that well known but pretty spectacular regardless. It's not that far away from Zion, but on the way you should also check out Bryce Canyon, probably one of the most spectacular vistas I've ever seen. Even more otherworldly and outlandish than the Grand Canyon. Utah in of itself is amazingly beautiful all around that area.

Around California, Mono Lake is pretty interesting and certainly worth taking the time to do some sunset shoots in. On the way, there's the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains. Not only do you get one of the best driving roads in the world on your way there (you will really want a sports car here but the last bit of the road is a rough dirt track IIRC) but you will also have some pretty awesome vistas once you arrive. Time your arrival with some cloud cover, and being at 11,000+ feet you're almost guaranteed to have some spectacular fog shots.

If you just want to get away from it all, Lake Powell in Arizona is pretty interesting, just leave your environmentalism at the door as it's a man-made lake and a real ecological disaster. Still, a very beautiful area. Rent a houseboat, moor anywhere you want along the lake, and do all the sunset shots you could ever wish for. Just watch out for storms on the lake, they can be pretty vicious. Not the cheapest getaway, but oh so very well worth it. Bring a toolkit; I've had both engines cut out in a houseboat in the middle of a storm, and was forced to fix both of them with a coathanger, a single bandaid, and two shoelaces, for lack of anything else. McGuyver was a wimp.

Sorry too drunk/lazy to provide links.

I do love Antelope Canyon, and I do have some shots from it that are actually not terrible. May post them later at some point. Also, Yosemite may have tourists all over it like flies on shit, but that's not to say that there aren't any really interesting, less well-known spots. A photo workshop in the park would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

Thanks Cat. thats very informative. Is Valley Of God can be seen from Page ,AZ as well? I remember i have distant shot of the rock formation from Page. Will scout these places on the internet for my after work winter places to explore

When you're standing in Page, it is essentially on the other side of Lake Powell lengthways, so you probably won't be able to see it but it's there. The dirt road leading into the valley is about a 3 hour drive from Page, maybe a tad more.

Speaking of which - bring a 4x4. You can probably do it on a regular sedan but the road is very rough, and breaking something and being stranded in the middle of the desert in mountain lion country is probably not a good thing. You need ground clearance.

Monument Valley is a lot more accessible, and certainly going to have a whole lot more visitors, but descending into the valley also involves a dirt road, though an easier one. There's a lodge just outside Monument Valley called Goulding's which is pretty decent if a bit overpriced, but it's fairly conveniently situated for both, and of course you've got campgrounds everywhere.

Note to self: see Denali

x2

Big three of Yosemite, Yellowstone and Glacier are probably musts. As is the Grand Canyon.

The cinema side of me wants to visit Monument Valley someday.

To a large extant the easy answer is probably... Utah. wink.png

As you mentioned Ohio, don't miss the Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial. Cool little place.

Edited by blessingx

1. Yosemite : Crowded. Not many good spots for hunting (photography wise). You turn your head anywhere its this Half Dome. Most of the spots are easily a within short hike except Half Dome (which I dont have the stomach to climb). Overall I'm a bit disappointed with the park. But seems to me this is the most visited park in US. The gift shop is huge. Maybe come back in winter for some awesome shot.

Let me guess, you went there in the summer, and never left Yosemite Valley?

Having grown up about 40 miles from there, I feel the need to repudiate your view of Yosemite. There are plenty of very remote places in Yosemite that are not reachable within one day's hike. The scenery is varied, and there is a lot more to it than just Half Dome. All four seasons are distinct and worthwhile. There is so much to appreciate there that one could spend a year or more in the park.

I can certainly see how it is possible to have the standard "tourist" experience there, and come out thinking it's a crowded, hot, somewhat limited place. But that is just so far from the truth. And even if you only get to see the valley in that manner, there is still quite a number of great experiences to be had, you just have to really be out there looking on your own.

Iron dreamer - Im very sure if you venture off the beaten path, you should find a remote place worth visiting. A park the size of Yosemite sure would have the those path. Yes, I went in summer, in fact about 3 weeks ago and all I got is a standard tourist experience which left me as I said above, bit disappointed. Problem with Yosemite is that those off beaten path is not highlighted at all in leaflet of the park. Seems to me the leaflet is designed to give an easy walk through to public. Unlike Zion, all of the hikes are featured on the leaflet with level of difficulty frm easy to advance. So the visitors have a range of choice on which hike they wanted to do.

Appreciate if you could pointed me to the right direction on some of the more remote but breathtaking view area of the Yosemite. Of course with a hike that wouldnt risking my life doing it.

Gotta agreed with you too that fall/winter should be freaking awesome in Yosemite. Its just that it freeze my balls during the winter

Edited by forbigger

Iron dreamer - Im very sure if you venture off the beaten path, you should find a remote place worth visiting. A park the size of Yosemite sure would have the those path. Yes, I went in summer, in fact about 3 weeks ago and all I got is a standard tourist experience which left me as I said above, bit disappointed. Problem with Yosemite is that those off beaten path is not highlighted at all in leaflet of the park. Seems to me the leaflet is designed to give an easy walk through to public. Unlike Zion, all of the hikes are featured on the leaflet with level of difficulty frm easy to advance. So the visitors have a range of choice on which hike they wanted to do.

Appreciate if you could pointed me to the right direction on some of the more remote but breathtaking view area of the Yosemite. Of course with a hike that wouldnt risking my life doing it.

Gotta agreed with you too that fall/winter should be freaking awesome in Yosemite. Its just that it freeze my balls during the winter

Well, I'd say you need to think outside the booklet ;) There are a ton of great web resources for finding great hikes and other park info, from sources other than the park officials, whose job it is to funnel you into the privately-outsourced trinket stores, restaurants, and lodging.

The best thing about summer in Yosemite is access to the high country, over 9,0000ft elevation, thanks to the annual opening of highway 120. It's an area of Yosemite that sees far less traffic/people, and is at least as beautiful as the valley, if not moreso. If you didn't get up to places like Tenaya lake, Tuolumne Meadows, and Lee Vining Canyon, you missed out big time. Let alone everything up there that is only accessible by hiking.

Zion is my favorite national park so far. At least it's the most spiritual place for me. Didn't make it all the way up Angel's Landing, but damnit I will someday!

The Grand Canyon is amazing and I'd love to do a river float trip through it someday.

Bryce canyon is beautiful and on a trip out west with my I laws in 2008 we hiked a lot of random slot canyons in the area around Zion.

I'd like to get to every US park during my life.

Mesa Verde was fascinating albeit harrowing for someone afraid of heights.

In my experience (which is quite broad) just about every place labelled "National Park" has some seriously impressive scenery in one area or another. Including Mesa Verde, for sure. I was unfortunate to be there last year during a massive storm, so I didn't get to see as much as I had hoped, but there are definitely some nice areas there.

I wouldn't go by the pics you see online as far as what the potential would be, but only to give you an idea of what the area is like. There is almost always way more to explore once you actually get there, and you've just got to get out there and explore. Don't stick to what you've seen/heard/read about before.

agreed. but i just wanted to make sure that my trip is worth it from the aspect of photo taking, enjoying the view/hike is also equally important though. the only way to ensure that is to look at the picture. like buying audio equipment, you either based it on audience the gear or read the reviews. in the context of this, reading the reviews is same as looking at the pictures that people took.

another thing is, to get around in US within pretty much last minute can be very expensive. so have to choose the location wisely.

Plus, i dont get to choose when i can come. I come only if theres a business trip and timing wise cannot be determined. I rarely comes in autumn or spring which is a shame since autumn or spring is the best time. Summer if you ask me is considered the worst timing of all four season for picture taking. thats my dilemma

btw, nice pics you have there.....what gear you using if i may know

Edited by forbigger