Parasound Zamp + bookshelves or studio monitors for desktop listening

shellylh

[This post is too long.]

As you may know, one of my Quad 12L actives died. RIP.

I have a pair of Audioengine A5 actives to use for now and maybe they will be good enough (I don't use speakers very much - usually headphones) for my limited desktop use.

I was thinking that I wanted to get a pair of Adam A3X and I think this is probably what I might get if I went the studio monitor route. Then I remembered how much I liked the Ascend CMT-340 when I owned them (which I only sold because they were way too big and loud for nearfield listening). So I was thinking of going Parasound Zamp + Ascend CBM-170SE instead. (The Parasound ZDAC, Zamp and GS-1 would make a nice little desktop stack.) I really liked the neutral but still musical sound of the CMT-340 and the CMB-170 is supposed to retain this "house" sound. They should be easy enough to drive with Zamp (45W into 8ohm, per channel). They are rear ported but Ascend recommends 4 inches from the wall when wall mounting so I wouldn't have to have them too far from the wall.

CBM-170SE: Typical In-Room Frequency Response 53Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB In-Room Sensitivity 91dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter Frequency Response (Anechoic) 58Hz - 22kHz +/- 3dB Sensitivity (Anechoic) 89dB @ 1 watt/ 1 meter Average Impedance 8 ohms

Pros: I will most likely like the sound, easy to drive with Zamp, I like the bare bones look, at least partially made in the USA, good price $350 + shipping

Cons: A little bigger than I would like, rear ported.

The other bookshelf option I was entertaining was NHT Absolute Zero mostly because they are not ported and so I can put them against the wall. I have never heard these but I remember people saying that they were fairly musical and neutral. In general, I think I remember that internet people preferred the 170SE (whatever that is worth). I seem to remember some members of HC recommending them so I am hoping some people have owned or at least heard them. The problem is that I am not sure if the Parasound Zamp would be able to drive the NHT since they aren't very efficient (86dB sensitivity, 6ohm). Also, I think they look a bit ugly without the grills on because of the metal tweeter.

NHT Absolute Zero

Pros: Smaller than Ascend 170SE, no ports

Cons: Haven't heard any NHTs before, lack of bass? ( I don't want to get a sub), inefficient, ugly?

Note: This is all for desktop use. They will be 4-10 inches from the wall, a few feet from me and probably about 5 feet apart - not optimal but this is what I have to work with.

I'd appreciate any thoughts people had, especially if they have heard the NHT with a low powered amp or the NHT and the Ascends. Is there some smallish bookshelf that is front or non-ported that I should know about - not too pricey?

The other question is whether I should really be using bookshelves + amp instead of powered studio monitors for nearfield use.

Shelly,

1. I've had a simliar pair of Ascends (sold them here, can't remember exactly what they were now but I I think they were an older version of the 170s) and liked them quite a bit. They're big for desktop use as you've noted. I replaced them with 12L actives oddly enough.

2. I've also had the NHTs, although not the the current version. I liked them, but they're definitely a wee bit bass shy. The ugly part is 100% in the eye of the beholder. I liked them but replaced them #3 for no good reason.

3. I currently use a pair of JBL Control 1X's and like them a lot. From an aesthetics point of view they're very utilitarian but not ugly IMO and I think they sound pretty good.

4. The speaker that has intrigued me for a while and what I wish I could try in the office is the Focal SIB. I think they can be had for ~$400 a pair new and I think they're quite attractive.

The best nearfield speakers I ever had were the Dynaudio Special Twenty-Fives (speaking of being a bit bigger than normal desktop speakers and not being bass shy). I need to recreate that setup (I still have them, just haven't put them up since I moved). But that, of course, is a several thousand dollar setup.

The second best was the Quad 12L's. So I say, use the AudioEngines until you can get the Quad fixed. I know you kind of hate it right now, but what if this is the last fix for a long time? It's also the least outlay. Moar money for tunes, whiskey, and beer.

Basically, listening in nearfield rocks. Pretty much everything sounds good, because you don't have to turn it up as loud, therefore the excursions are smaller and therefore more linear. So pretty much everything will sound good.

I'm a huge Focal fan, so endorse the idea of going Focal. They also have some more traditional looking monitors that start on the small end at $350-ish, I think. And go up to the several thousand dollar Beryllium Utopian-based monitors. I'll get those if I ever win the lottery, but I honestly haven't heard any of them.

Dynaudios have some that are programmable -- I.E. they can be made to sound good based on where they are, like the Meridians (except I don't think Meridians make desktop or even nearfield speakers). I think they're the BM-5A's?

Also, something you can try -- this worked for me -- is that I had the speakers above the monitor and pointed down (in the case of the Dynaudio Special Twenty-Fives) -- if you have one of those secretary - style computer desks, this has a lot of benefits.

Also, don't pay too much attention to where the port is. How close the speaker is to the wall and accommodating for that is much more important. Bass frequencies quickly become more omnidirectional, even with traditional speakers.

Shelly had you thought about the Emotiva Pro4?

At $314.00 it's hard to beat the sale price, and Dan has great things to say about them. And no amp needed.

http://emotivapro.co...s/airmotiv4.php

Thought about these but ruled them out at the time because they were rear ported. Also, I wasn't so impressed with the build quality of the Emotiva DAC I had but maybe these would be better.

I think Ric is probably correct that I should just stick with the A5s for now (until they really bug me or until they break like Jim's). I am still interested in these answers since I'll eventually get tired of the A5 and want to upgrade (assuming the Quad can't be fixed).

I sent an email to lanemart asking if I had any options but haven't heard back from him (and I may not). Getting a DIYer to look at it is certainly something I should look into. Maybe I can haul it to Austin in November and beg someone sober to look at it ... cough cough Marc, Naaman.... smile.png It may be worth even spending some money on shipping to get it fixed. [Whenever something breaks I immediately get upset and want to get rid of it... then after time, I become more sensible.]

Edited by shellylh

I would to go for the Adams but I'm a suspect. Their sound kinda combines electrostatic and ribbon, extremely detailed and not harsh, vocals really stand out. The A5X have a more neutral sound while the A3X can hype a bit on the bass.

The airmotiv looks good while I didn't hear them they seem to use a similar tweeter technology.

If you think it helps Audiostream has reviews of both speakers I believe.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

Hey Shelly - it should not make much difference since they are mirror image. It may be a tiny bit different, but leaning back in your chair will make more difference than swapping the speakers. The main thing would be to also swap the inputs as well - to make the left information stay on your left and the right information stay on your right..

Why is that? (Honest question -- I haven't ruled out an amp and passives for my setup.)

Because of where the electronics need to be relative to the speakers the right speaker needed a significantly longer cable. I didn't have any long enough so had a pair made by Audio advisor. The longer cable was defective and so now I am just in a bad mood. So now I have the amp in a non optimal position so I can use the old speaker cables from another setup. I also like the idea of fewer cables and buying more new stuff.

Edited by morphsci

^Isn't that going to be the case if you go with active speakers (assuming both are powered by their own amp like the Emotiva). I had to use a significantly longer RCA to the left speaker than the right with my Quads.

But I like the idea of buying moar new stuff Jim. smile.png I'll be interested in your opinion of the Airmotiv5 if/when you get them.

Got the A5 setup with the Mopads and they don't sound so bad. [i really should get some speaker stands some day.] I think I like them (physically) tilted up a bit more than flat. I'll have to mess around a bit with the angles. I asked hubby how they looked and he said they looked a little small (I guess I am training him). Better get some bigger speakers before he changes his mind. wink.png

zHXxm.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Got the A5 setup with the Mopads and they don't sound so bad. [i really should get some speaker stands some day.] I think I like them (physically) tilted up a bit more than flat. I'll have to mess around a bit with the angles.
Absolutely -- it's the exact same idea as elevating them and pointing them down as I suggested, except that my way largely reduces the first reflection problem.