Pass Labs discussion

deepak

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss these fine (and other solid state) amps. I'm interested in some 100 watt or greater amps. I love reading the Pass DIY forums and seeing all the cool stuff Nelson comes up with. Unfortunately I have a love affair with pain in the butt to drive speakers so I am left with mostly their commercial offerings.

My first question is what would be the big difference between an Aleph 2 and XA100.5 as far as sound goes?

And about the XS150, has anyone heard them or have insights into their design?

Do you think any of the Aleph or XA.5 amps can provide adequate voltage for V hungry electrostatic speakers, especially on very dynamic music?

That's all for now angel.gif

F5 turbo!

You are one sick dud smile.png

Also it's probably the least interesting FW amp to me, personally I am more interested in the amps that are more to the FW ethos.

Excited to see where this SIT stuff goes, though sadly I've seen Nelson nix the idea that they will get used in the higher power amps.

Find Pano's thread at DiyA on "how much power do I really need" and answer this question. The reason is, this will tell you how much voltage swing and thus how high of rails you will need.

For what it's worth, any First Watt design can be adapted for more voltage swing and more current.

I'd think the Aleph2 would be pretty similar.

I'd recommend the Aleph J-X or one the Burning Amp series amps.

For my 1*102W needs I'd build an End Millennium. Simple enough for me not mess up (yeah, right) and enough juice for 89db'ers. Some of the local guys praise the design and sound. Also none of the parts seem too unobtainable.

Cookbook with less bullcrap than the article linked above.

Just my two imperial septims.

Edited by RudeWolf

Find Pano's thread at DiyA on "how much power do I really need" and answer this question. The reason is, this will tell you how much voltage swing and thus how high of rails you will need.

For what it's worth, any First Watt design can be adapted for more voltage swing and more current.

I'd think the Aleph2 would be pretty similar.

I'd recommend the Aleph J-X or one the Burning Amp series amps.

Will do, thanks. Though at this point I am still more interested in their commercial offerings.

• 1 month later...