Pass Labs discussion

deepak

I've had the Aleph P for a while now and this is so far the best preamp that has come into my house, and I've had my friend's fancy EAR on loan (and GS-X). I think I will get a Dartzeel some time in the future since it is the other SS pre I loved the sound of (and it can accommodate 2 phono carts). But for now while I am still in resident-ville, I am loving the A-P.

This might be all in my head, but I prefer to turn up the gain controls and lower the volume since it sounds a bit fuller that way.

maybe one to consider:

http://www.audiohobb...sit-preamp.html

(oh and while you are there.... http://www.audiohobb...pass-sit-1.html)

Very nice :)

Looking forward to seeing what other preamps people come up with. 17 dB of gain is just too much for my system.

As I continued to read the Preamp Cookbook for the RTP3 I realized it was basically a preamp for the phono-stage (and not too surprising since Allen wasn't a big fan of digital). With a bonus line-stage. The single ended and balanced inputs for the non-phono inputs are attenuated even before the stepper. So much gain.

I still really like my Aleph-P as well. I always kept the gain controls turned down as far as I could based on something I thought I read from Nelson recommending that. I may have to play around with them based on your impressions deepak.

I may have to get into mine a bit this winter as I think when I tried input 4 it wasn't working.

Edited by Pars

I still really like my Aleph-P as well. I always kept the gain controls turned down as far as I could based on something I thought I read from Nelson recommending that. I may have to play around with them based on your impressions deepak.

I may have to get into mine a bit this winter as I think when I tried input 4 it wasn't working.

I think I prefer it with these speakers since they are a bit too linear (maybe even shelved down) in the midbass, and I like it more fleshed out for double bass. With some Blue Note recordings, the bass is recorded in too low volume and can be hard to follow with them.

With full range speakers I'm sure passive mode is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Reviving an old thread, sorry-not-sorry... DIYAudio Store is running a preorder sale on Pass ACA kits, $317/pop with a dual monoblock option. Includes the works. The default build is 7Wpc (class A), the monoblocks are 20Wpc.

I'm really tempted, but would appreciate advice from more knowledgable people here. I've been interested in Pass designs for a while, and this is my chance to get my feet wet reasonably cheaply. But if I don't like it, I'll end up with more amps I don't use taking up closet space (cough)...

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/amp-camp-amp-kit

Case ready pierced. All the connectors. Two circuit boards and all the bits. Pass's choice of switcher supply. $317 seems like a bargain for what you *physically* get.

Now yes - the distortion looks lousy and power is low. But Pass's philosophy is that linear distortion is not the be all and end all. And the distortion increases politely with power level.

I have no idea what it will sound like - but if you go for it, you'll need efficient speakers to make sense of a handful of watts.

(note that the power supply is uni-polar, so there is an output capacitor of 3300uF. That is something that I have not seen since the 1960's in things like the Quad 303, and is a typically quirky Pass thing)

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, this appears to be a variation on his "Zen" amp that was first published in AudioXpress a number of years ago, basically a single MOSFET amplifying device into a current source, so single-ended class A, phase inverting, around 20% efficient, 14 dB gain (5x) and 2 watts our at 1% distortion, so either efficient speakers or headphones, although maybe not enough voltage output for something like a Susvara or HE6. 

• Thanks 1

The amp camp was meant to be an easy to build and safe introduction into the hobby.

I have six Amp Camp stereo amps so as an intro it worked quite well

All are used for phones, they will drive Fostex T50's loud enough to quickly damage your hearing.

None of my off the shelf 89db/W speakers work well with this amount of power.

not that it sounds bad just not enough drive to wake them up.

the F5 does do the job.

you might like them, you might listen differently

think small room, efficient speakers, modest volume

DiyAudio sells quality kits and have excellent documentation

+1 what Craig & JimL said

Edited by congo5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1