Switching from 10.6.8 to 10.8.2

I expect to upgrade my iPhone 3g to a 5 in the next couple of months. I figure it would be best if I convert my 21.5 iMac 3.06 to the latest 10.8.2 operating system. However, I am worried the 10.8.2 may still have a few bugs and since 10.6.8 has been so stable that a change may not be for the better.

Any converters out there which could shed some light? I am also reading Mac Forums and Mac rumors to educate myself.

I went from 10.6.8 on my early 2008 MB to 10.8.1 (and now 10.8.2) on this late 2011 MBP. There are a lot of UI changes that take some time to get used to. For the first week, I kept triggering unexpected actions with gestures I didn't realize i was using. I haven't had any issues with software compatibility. The only major crash I had was when I was attempting to do a full Time Machine backup of the system's HDD and a massive rsync between two external drives. The machine recovered fine from it. In general, I quite like Mountain Lion. I never used Lion, but by all accounts ML is a significant improvement over it.