The official Head Case broadcast thread

Knuckledragger

I put last night's show up on Mixcloud: 

Initially I wasn't that pleased with it, but upon reflection I actually quite like it.  I haven't been feeling myself for the last month for a lot of reasons (more on that later) and I went into the show with more of a sense of dread than anything else.  That's part of the reason I started with a BPM roughly twice what I normally do.  When I'm feeling low, I need more high energy music to bring me up.  That said, I do love turning the idea of what is ostensibly dance music on its ear.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, THAT sucked.  After much futzing (hours worth) I figured out the problem.  In OS X speak "Mic access" means access ANY audio input devices.  My laptop had a security burp (possibly brought on by an update, unsure) that revoked mic access to most of the apps that previously had it -- including mixlr.  I eventually sorted out that problem, then got mixlr working with both of my audio devices.  A casualty in all this was 3 years of show recordings.  I have them backed up, but now I have to fish them off Time Machine, which will take several hours.  /wrist as the kids say.

Show will probably be on tomorrow night.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oof.  Got removed by a mod 28 minutes in.  One of the users in chat said I had to have the camera pointed on me or the DJ gear.  The removal notice I got was generic "This post is off topic and does not pertain to /r/redditsessions. /r/redditsessions is specifically for music broadcasts only."  

• Sad 1

I (politely) pestered the mods are /r/reddisessions and they said that the message I got was in fact a generic one.  The reason they cancelled my stream was that I didn't have the equipment I was using on camera.  I experimented for an hour trying to figure out where  I could position my iPhone so that the DJ mixer was in frame where I wanted it.  My conclusion is that the FoV of the iPhone's camera is such that the only possibly mounting position is ...right in the fucking way.  So now I'm shopping for a webcam JeffyBozos.com.  For some reason or other, all the decent webcams (Logitech mostly) are out of stock and offered by 3rd party retailers at 3-4x their original price.  I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone needs a webcam right now.  I've been looking at various Chinesium models on AMZN, armed with the FakeSpot Chrome plugin.  Ho Lee Shit are there a lot of farmed reviews out there.

All of this said, I've found what I think are a few acceptable models and a mounting arm so I can position the camera above my mixer.  I also spent (an even longer amount of time) getting some slow moving blinkenlights pointed at the mixer so it's at least visually interesting.  It turns out I have a nearly 20 year background in that field.  Who knew?  I'm going to order the various bits and widgets this evening and try another broadcast on Reddit when it all arrives.

• Like 2

Definitely not doing an RPAN broadcast tonight.  I do have the infrastructure to do it with my phone, but ...I really don't want to.  I "adulted" all day as the millennials say, and I'm tired and cranky.  Also I ordered another Chinesium webcam off AMZN (different brand this time) and it's due to arrive tomorrow.  I might give RPAN a shot midweek.