APC S15

tkam

I know these are still pretty new but has anyone tried one yet: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S15 ?? My power here is pretty bad, it's not particularly dirty but during the summer the voltages will often drop below 100. I figure something like this could be quite useful for brownouts and the like.

Are these the ones that UnderWood Wally raves about? I have been curious myself, but not curious enough try to fork out the $$$ these units cost...

The other power conditioner I am intrigued by is the Running springs. However, this are not power regenerators, which is what you are looking for.

So in short, I wish I could be of more help..., but have you searched the audio asylum, I seem to remember some mixed comments over there about the APC regenerators. But the complaint was mostly related to the long wait for a refund from a purchase of the APC unit. IIRC...

The H15 which is the same sans the battery backup is much much less.
I had a H15 (or was is H10?) for a four day audition. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say is was simply wrong for me in a system dependant way. It was great in short term listening and I had made up my mind to keep it but in an intentionally longer three hour session at generous volume, it became very fatiguing. Even prior to the longer session I knew it lightened music tonally. It could be great in a darker or muddier system or an AV, as I think it is intended, rather than HIFI set-up.

PS Audio UPC200. The funny thing is I can't say much about it as it went in about the same time as a Nordost Vishnu power cord who's impact is greater (I now have two Vishnu). With the glass half full point of view the good news is the UPC200 hasn't bothered me. I wasn't expecting any really big things from it other than protection from surges, etc (something I don't know is a realistic fear to begin with! :laugh: ). I consider it a really good power bar.

Interesting... I have been thinking on a Hydra 4 0r 6. or a Running Springs Haley. I should add the UPC200 to the short list....

I also agree with you on the very disclaimer you made in the original reply. And that is that obviously every power conditioner's performance will ultimately depend on the "power niche" in ones listening area or living quarters...

cheers and thanks.

http://www.10audio.com/diy_power_conditioner.htm You may want to check out that link. For me a notable statement was "The well-reviewed - and deservedly so". There was a thread about it at headfi. My take on the Hydra is that it's simple (simple is good) and works well, but is just overpriced. But aren't most things audio overpriced? My UPC-200 is probably overpriced.

yep, I had seen that thread at head-fi. I personally would like to at least audition a unit in my system. I have no diy skills so there is little hope for making my own. Hydras can go reasonably sometimes on audiogon.

Most things in audio are overpriced, I agree. I haven't tracked prices (used) for the UPC-200. I should look into that.

thanks

I had a H15 (or was is H10?) for a four day audition. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say is was simply wrong for me in a system dependant way. It was great in short term listening and I had made up my mind to keep it but in an intentionally longer three hour session at generous volume, it became very fatiguing. Even prior to the longer session I knew it lightened music tonally. It could be great in a darker or muddier system or an AV, as I think it is intended, rather than HIFI set-up.

Would it be possible that something else in the audio chain might be the source of the fatiguing and that the H15/H10 was merely acting as an open window to that fact?

I'm just curious if you tried to remedy the fatiguing issue. I'm not suggesting that you should've kept it since it did mess with your system synergy.

Would it be possible that something else in the audio chain might be the source of the fatiguing and that the H15/H10 was merely acting as an open window to that fact?

I'm just curious if you tried to remedy the fatiguing issue.

I returned it. :laugh:

I wasn't fatigued whatsoever before. I don't know...blame a -$500 box with lots of lights or my $4000 amp and $4000 speakers (not that price guarantees excellence!), who's primary hallmarks are tonal accuracy? Nah the thing was too bright for HIFI. Like I said before it'll probably be great in an AV system---TECHNICOLOUR! 8)