Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Actually, a monkey-wrench can absolutely hurt an elephant, if it hits him in the right spot. nutkick.gif

Not if the elephant has leet kung-fu blocking skills with his trunk!

I actually prefer a bit of tube color in my amps or somewhere in the signal path in general, so it sounds like the WES would be appealing to me. But it's all academic at this point.

I'm first going to test the new C- supply (which eliminates the offset) and get rid of the channel imbalance when used in SE mode. After that all bets are off as to what I'll do to the big hunk of fail.

Speaking of gain issues, I wonder why Woo didn't just put in some transformers instead of an active phase splitter. Probably more expensive then a couple of tubes plus some random parts but it could be a neat solution to the ES-1 issue.

As for the SR-Omega, I'd only buy another if it was broken to try and figure out how to make them work again. I only lack a chassis though to make my own. Perhaps I should bug Stax and ask if they have one sitting in a corner somewhere... :D

I'm first going to test the new C- supply (which eliminates the offset) and get rid of the channel imbalance when used in SE mode. After that all bets are off as to what I'll do to the big hunk of fail.

Speaking of gain issues, I wonder why Woo didn't just put in some transformers instead of an active phase splitter. Probably more expensive then a couple of tubes plus some random parts but it could be a neat solution to the ES-1 issue.

As for the SR-Omega, I'd only buy another if it was broken to try and figure out how to make them work again. I only lack a chassis though to make my own. Perhaps I should bug Stax and ask if they have one sitting in a corner somewhere... :D

In the WES that I bought there is no SE input or phase splitter, so if I need to feed it single ended I'll use my Jensens Transformers ISOmax to convert the SE to balanced (like if I want to use my TT). And, my DAC is balanced so I'm all set. You should maybe give one of these a try sometime, as it works well and is very transparent.

The transformers would never be more then a band aid for the ES-1 since the circuit is more then capable of running SE since that's how Stax designed it. I had these same issues with my mini ES-1 so adjusting the resistor values and using the right tubes should clear it up. I still need to buy a quad of some nice 6SN7's to try in the amp and if that clears it up, drop some loctal sockets in there for 7n7's.

So what? You've got a big head don't you? Lots of space. :D

Big, no... gigantic, yes. :P Building a new enclosure for the SR-Omega drivers would be a really cool project though even if it would cost a fortune to get it right.

In the WES that I bought there is no SE input or phase splitter, so if I need to feed it single ended I'll use my Jensens Transformers ISOmax to convert the SE to balanced (like if I want to use my TT). And, my DAC is balanced so I'm all set. You should maybe give one of these a try sometime, as it works well and is very transparent.

Almost seems like a good thing.

I preferred transformer phase splitting to the inherent phase splitting of the SRM-717 (I know, long shot comparason) when I had it.

True but I'd rather not use any of Mikhail's ideas. ;) The amp is really supposed to use 12AT7's (for lowest distortion) but I'm too lazy to add another B+ supply in that rather cramped PSU.

6sl7 may work.

Why do you need a second B+ supply?

I preferred transformer phase splitting to the inherent phase splitting of the SRM-717 (I know, long shot comparason) when I had it.

Intersiting. The 717 is just like the BHSE, KGSS, 313 etc. so it's something to look into since I'm running SE only.

Why do you need a second B+ supply?

To copy what Stax did in the T2 mostly. Also moar PSU's make me happy... :)