Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

For me it is just more fun to attack the low end and try to make something that's easy to build and/or gives a lot of bang for the buck.  Going for the top means the complexity is multiplied and things get very expensive, very quickly.  Not many people have the skill or the funds needed to build something like that so it comes some mythical design that everybody might lust after but is of little use to them.  That said, there are some ideas for super high end amps that have been brought up over the years which will be finished at some point in the future.  Kevin did promise some people that Mjölnir Audio will make a 10K$ amp so we need something crazy for that pricetag....  :)

For me it is just more fun to attack the low end and try to make something that's easy to build and/or gives a lot of bang for the buck.  Going for the top means the complexity is multiplied and things get very expensive, very quickly.  Not many people have the skill or the funds needed to build something like that so it comes some mythical design that everybody might lust after but is of little use to them.  That said, there are some ideas for super high end amps that have been brought up over the years which will be finished at some point in the future.  Kevin did promise some people that Mjölnir Audio will make a 10K$ amp so we need something crazy for that pricetag....  :)

A properly built T2....would command and justify its 10k pricetag. :)

Well I did msg Kevin about that super expensive high end and complex 845 amp the Stax Mafia brought up few years ago, Kevin says they will complete it in a year or so as spritzer is working on a DHT amp from what I've been told.

Edited by DefQon

The DHT amp I have on the back burner is a SE design so transformers needed to use it for Stax.  Still it will be a test bed for filament supplies and how to deal with that clusterfuck. 

On the other side of the spectrum I have an Egmont PCB ready that is just 105*95mm for a stereo board.  ECC83's and 6N6pi for a truly cheap, fully balanced amp.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Santa will be coming early this year - the BH should ship pretty soon.  

I don't have any tubes yet.  I assume that it will still sound good without the upgraded tubes and that I shouldn't just rush out and buy something just because the amp will be here soon.  I have been looking at XF2 and haven't really found anything at a good price from a reputable dealer.  Brent Jesse doesn't even have any of his "overpriced" pairs anymore.

Does anyone know about this seller?  

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/NOSVacuumTubes/NOSVacuumTubes.htm

I was also thinking of Paul Lindemann to see if he has any matched pairs/quads.  I haven't heard people talking about him lately but assume he is still reputable and selling? 

Any other options?  Not sure I want to try getting something from a random person on ebay. 

Edited by shellylh

Should be thousands of hours like any other NOS EL34, but someone else can chime in as a more accurate tube lifetime in a BHSE. I'll let you know when I receive my own BHSE (Currawong's unit), but with the Megatron I've been using RFTs ~8-10 hours a day at the office for 6 months now, no signs of faltering. 

I think national 6ca7 and possibly telefunken EL34s are equivalent

Edited by nopants

Should be thousands of hours like any other NOS EL34, but someone else can chime in as a more accurate tube lifetime in a BHSE. I'll let you know when I receive my own BHSE (Currawong's unit),....

Tell me that's the one that Justin built and not the shitbox pabbi1 fucked up?