Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Justin does offer Shuguang treasures tubes for BHSE, but doesn't want to hear about Psvane EL34PH because of reliability issues. Isn't it the same company ?  ???

Ali

Actually not. Shuguang in Tianjin north China, first started with their premium Treasure tube line a few years ago. A number of the engineers that were responsible subsequently left and started their own Psvane company originally in Guangzhou south China. I believe they may have since moved to Tianjin.

BH is here!  I assume I don't have to bias the amp to use the stock tubes, right? 

Edit:  OK, I guess since I don't know which tubes were in which socket, I guess I will have to re-bias the amp.   

http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-amp

Also, is the trimpot adjustment tool supposed to be in the box?  I missed it.  Can I just use a very small flathead screwdriver? 

Another stupid head-fi-like question:  Can I listen to music on it while letting it warm up for an hour to do the second round of rebiasing? 

Edited by shellylh

BH is here!  I assume I don't have to bias the amp to use the stock tubes, right? 

Edit:  OK, I guess since I don't know which tubes were in which socket, I guess I will have to re-bias the amp.   

http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-amp

Also, is the trimpot adjustment tool supposed to be in the box?  I missed it.  Can I just use a very small flathead screwdriver? 

Another stupid head-fi-like question:  Can I listen to music on it while letting it warm up for an hour to do the second round of rebiasing? 

the tubes are a matched quad so you really dont have to do any rebiasing. originally i did label the order they were in the amp when i tested it, but i found most people never saw my labels and that it doesnt matter

Shelly,

Maybe this helps.  I finally bit the bullet and found some RCA branded XF2's on eBay.  I sent the seller an offer for $350 and he did accept so I was somewhat forced at that point anyways.  Luckily the item description provided the XF2 date codes to confirm that they should inf act be Blackburn XF2's.  At any rate this listing was my runner up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181550483388?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another idear I had is to keep an eye out for Dynaco ST70's.  I'm talking the amps themselves.  I was thinking about finding an "original" one with stock dynaco branded XF2 tubes and doing a swap and re-selling with new Mullards.  Lot of work, but maybe cheaper than outright buying tubes.

----

I've been quiet about this for too long.  So what are my experiences with the BHSE so far?  The irony of me actually owning one now is that of course I have almost no listening time when I am at home.

To be perfectly honest so far not smitten with the sound.  I've tried the tubes I have on-hand, the Winged C SED's, PSVane's, Stock Mullards.  I've tried a plethora of DACs; PWD2, Parasound d/ac2000 +1100, EAD DSP-1000mk3, Adcom GCD-750, Assemblage DAC 3, Apogee Mini Dac, probably a few more I am forgetting too.  Just yesterday I received a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2mk2 and I'm still not sure it's there yet.

Without getting into too much of a novel, I want to say my favorite thus far has been the d/ac2000.  It's by no means a technical performer (hell it has op-amp coupled output afaik) but it has a certain haziness to it that helps to mask any lack of detail or stridency, it doesn't sound offensive or draw attention to any problems which many of the other dacs did almost right away.  I would think the better design of the SFD-2mk2 would be that much moar betters but to these ears it presents greater detail at the expense of sounding more up front and almost borderline bright with vocals.

Maybe it's the XA5400ES digital out (no PC playback) that's throwing me for a curve or maybe even the tubes?  Maybe I'm just not throwing enough money at the damn thing.  Hoping the XF2's are worth all the hype.

Edited by Mr.Sneis

Shelly,

Maybe this helps.  I finally bit the bullet and found some RCA branded XF2's on eBay.  I sent the seller an offer for $350 and he did accept so I was somewhat forced at that point anyways.  Luckily the item description provided the XF2 date codes to confirm that they should inf act be Blackburn XF2's.  At any rate this listing was my runner up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181550483388?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another idear I had is to keep an eye out for Dynaco ST70's.  I'm talking the amps themselves.  I was thinking about finding an "original" one with stock dynaco branded XF2 tubes and doing a swap and re-selling with new Mullards.  Lot of work, but maybe cheaper than outright buying tubes.

----

I've been quiet about this for too long.  So what are my experiences with the BHSE so far?  The irony of me actually owning one now is that of course I have almost no listening time when I am at home.

To be perfectly honest so far not smitten with the sound.  I've tried the tubes I have on-hand, the Winged C SED's, PSVane's, Stock Mullards.  I've tried a plethora of DACs; PWD2, Parasound d/ac2000 +1100, EAD DSP-1000mk3, Adcom GCD-750, Assemblage DAC 3, Apogee Mini Dac, probably a few more I am forgetting too.  Just yesterday I received a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2mk2 and I'm still not sure it's there yet.

Without getting into too much of a novel, I want to say my favorite thus far has been the d/ac2000.  It's by no means a technical performer (hell it has op-amp coupled output afaik) but it has a certain haziness to it that helps to mask any lack of detail or stridency, it doesn't sound offensive or draw attention to any problems which many of the other dacs did almost right away.  I would think the better design of the SFD-2mk2 would be that much moar betters but to these ears it presents greater detail at the expense of sounding more up front and almost borderline bright with vocals.

Maybe it's the XA5400ES digital out (no PC playback) that's throwing me for a curve or maybe even the tubes?  Maybe I'm just not throwing enough money at the damn thing.  Hoping the XF2's are worth all the hype.

I suspect the xf2s aren't going to help you. What headphones are you using? The other possibility is that electrostats are not what you are looking for.

I suspect the xf2s aren't going to help you. What headphones are you using? The other possibility is that electrostats are not what you are looking for.

Hi George,  In this case it is o2mk1.  I have used these headphones for years with a KGSS (ECBA acting as a pre) and had NO complaints!

My other rig is Lambda Nova Sigs with 323s.

Maybe new ears?

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty sure my ears are "broke" by many others' standards!!

Edited by Mr.Sneis

Sure.

Wen paired with certain dacs like PWD I found the o2's to sound too neutral or too boring; there wasn't much weight to bass despite great texture or definition, no sparkle to vocals, soundstage felt very meh and did little to surprise me.   Nothing to really get excited about and I didn't have too many of those looking over your shoulder moments...

Other times I found like with Assemblage and Apogee DACs a grating high end and overall edginess; too artificial and fatiguing to want to spend any serious time with which. The Assemblage does truly great things with the GSX and HD600.

Keep in mind, I've been pretty accustomed to the o2's having had them for years with a kgss setup of some sort so I have an idea of how they sound in the same chain.  The LNS and ESP950 (I used to have) are also really great out the 323s so it's not like I don't like the stat sound or anything.

So yeah, maybe I am crazy and my ears are broke.

Perhaps you need more time to adjust to real high fidelity sound.

I used to love listening to live 5 piece jazz combos playing trad and dixie.

The I'd go home and listen to my setup and look for the cues in the live performances that grabbed me.

It certainly helped to lay down what real should sound like.

Few people have really conxentrated on what things should sound like.

People complain about pianos being too bright in the highs, That's what they sound like in real life.

To use an analogy, some think that all sonic scenery should look like a lush Swiss mountain meadow on a bright sunny day. It's not like that in overcast conditions.

This idea that just because it sounds good, it's hi-fi is a furphy.

Hi-fi means great sounds great, good sounds good and rotten sounds rotten.

• Like 1

Appreciate the kind words n3rd.

My o2 pads are actually minty fresh, I need more listening time to be made available though that's for sure.

Blu, I don't expect you to believe me but if you go back to some of my posts here there and everywhere I'm usually the awkward asshole who comes in and disagrees with everyone and looks like an idiot as a result.

BHSE and O2 MkI really shouldn't sound that edgy or forward.  I can see it if you were using SR009.  I do have both O2 MkI and SR009.  

I'm not one of those people who preach PC audio is "better" than traditional transport/DAC, but asynchronous USB DAC's do tend to sound smoother, rounder via USB compared to spdif inputs, so it's something to consider.