Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

• 9 months later...

I realize the Blue Hawaii SE hasn't been launched yet.

Given HeadAmp's excellent reputation and my own KGSS's excellent sound quality, I would assume the BHSE to be a top quality amp.

I passed on it a couple of months ago, thinking I would stay with a KGSS and focus on a balanced amp for dynamics. I only had an SR-007 at the time. But now, I find myself also with the HE60, HE90, SR-Omega, 4070, SR-SC1 and Lambda Pro. Electrostatics have become high priority and I listen to dynamics less and less.

I would be interested in what people think about the BHSE versus other electrostatic amps, particularly the SinglePower ES-1.

The KGBHSE and the KGST are two different things entirely. Over at that other site that is still down

i posted pictures of my KGBHSE. I'm pretty sure that all that is left is for the real chassis parts to show up.

And they are probably roughly on schedule. But you know justin, they will have to be absolutely mirror finish

perfect. Pretty sure the whole first batch is sold out, but contact justin to see if any are left.

here is a few of the pictures.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f22761.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f22763.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/g9f22764.jpg

The first batch was sold out and the extra ones are going fast. I dunno why but I'm usually the second to know after Justin that somebody as ordered one... ;D

Kevin, have you published the KGST design yet, or am I simply having a major brain fart and have completely forgot about it?

I have not published the KGST yet. I think there are 3 versions.

Have not even done a board layout yet either. When the lsj109

finally appears, there will be many new designs, published.

The KGST does not use a lsj109 anyway.

Lots of new designs on the drawing board and prototypes built

in fiberglass lunch trays... :dance: For years and years even :P

I have not published the KGST yet. I think there are 3 versions.

Have not even done a board layout yet either. When the lsj109

finally appears, there will be many new designs, published.

The KGST does not use a lsj109 anyway.

Lots of new designs on the drawing board and prototypes built

in fiberglass lunch trays... :dance: For years and years even :P

Can't wait for some new designs!! :dance:

Suhweet! Any time-scale on the design being finalised or is it already finished? Will Justin be making any of them?

I'm so behind with everything. The other forum which must-not-be-named has been down for long enough. I'm feeling right at home here ;)

Well, talk of the KGST has been around since 2005. ;)

A KGSS front end and a grid drive tube output section. Significantly less complicated than

the BH. Smaller tubes and can be built in a much smaller box.

What output tubes are you designing it for? The BH is pretty complicated but it is good as a space heater when it gets cold up here in Iceland... ;D

I still think 6s4's are the best thing for a KGST. Others have different opinions.

Not a lot of options (as in none) for a tube that size that can really do 600+ volts.

Has to be an indirectly heated triode...

If you really need a space heater, i got this balanced mig2 thing with 8 x 6c33's

Really heats up the room in no time flat.

I still think 6s4's are the best thing for a KGST. Others have different opinions.

Not a lot of options (as in none) for a tube that size that can really do 600+ volts.

If you really need a space heater, i got this balanced mig2 thing with 8 x 6c33's

Could you please post pictures?

The 6s4 is a good choice especially since I have a nice stash of them.

That is one toasty amp. I was considering a 845 driving a 845 in a Stax amp so that would be 8*35w just for the heaters...

Gilmore, one day please design a 845 amp for 'stat headphones.

Please please! :)

There is a design already out there in the second edition of Morgan Jones's book. It was conceived for loudspeakers but will push the SR-007 really nicely but he says in the book that it is the scariest amp he's ever built and none of his measuring equipment worked with it. 1200v can do that. I'd like something simpler like a push-pull SET and use a push-pull choke instead on the output transformer like Jones did. An amp like this should also work just fine on the Quad ESL.

Suhweet! Any time-scale on the design being finalised or is it already finished? Will Justin be making any of them?

I'm so behind with everything. The other forum which must-not-be-named has been down for long enough. I'm feeling right at home here ;)

I'm working on 3 new electrostatic amps...right now I'm waiting for a prototype of a custom heatsink that will be the sides of the box. They'll be ready sometime next year