Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Gilmore, one day please design a 845 amp for 'stat headphones.

Please please! :)

NO! Done correctly there would have to be 4 fillament transformers, each one of

which has to be very well balanced, and center tapped and neutralized. Otherwise

its going to have more hum than audio.

This would be my standard dual differential drive setup. If you want SE with a transformer

you need to look elsewhere, homey don't do that.

The cost of a 845 based amp would be horrific and it would dwarf any headphone amp ever made. The amp it self is relatively easy to design and build but the power supply is a huge headache. A simpler amp could be built but I just don't get the point of a compromised design around a world class tube. A 572-10 might be a better tube choice but they aren't produced any more.

Gilmore, one day please design a 845 amp for 'stat headphones.

Please please! :)

OK,OK. I just figured out a way to cut the number of fillament transformers, thus

balancing the two tubes of one channel together such that the reactance of the

transformer no longer matters and a one pot hum canceling thing. Will post schematic

in the next couple of days. Need to go synthesize the thing to make sure it really

works as intended.

So who is going to build one?

Three?! Good stuff. I'll have to start saving now. :D

I've had the ugly box KGSS for nearly 4 years now which is hard to believe. So I definitely believe there is a market for a pretty box version (of course there are substantial updates to the power supply, amp circuit, and overall quality of engineering changes to go with that). Also, the amp circuitry will become surface-mount modules, except for the output stages which will be on the main board and heatsinked to the sides of the case, which is what the custom heatsink is for. I want to keep the KGSS under 2k and the KGST will probably be 2.5-3k. By the 3rd one I meant the KGBH SE

OK,OK. I just figured out a way to cut the number of fillament transformers, thus

balancing the two tubes of one channel together such that the reactance of the

transformer no longer matters and a one pot hum canceling thing. Will post schematic

in the next couple of days. Need to go synthesize the thing to make sure it really

works as intended.

So who is going to build one?

I will try.

I've only worked up to ~700 V though. How much is this going to be? 1.2k V?

I've had the ugly box KGSS for nearly 4 years now which is hard to believe. So I definitely believe there is a market for a pretty box version (of course there are substantial updates to the power supply, amp circuit, and overall quality of engineering changes to go with that). Also, the amp circuitry will become surface-mount modules, except for the output stages which will be on the main board and heatsinked to the sides of the case, which is what the custom heatsink is for. I want to keep the KGSS under 2k and the KGST will probably be 2.5-3k. By the 3rd one I meant the KGBH SE

So the current KGSS will be replaced by an updated, pretty-box version and will cost under $2k?! :dance:

TBH, I don't think the current box is ugly at all. It may not be as flashy as the HEV90, but it is far from ugly. Understated elegance would be a more accurate description. I'm a huge fan of the lettering you use on the front panel btw.

Will the new series of HeadAmp stat amps have one volume knob, or two? I, for one, would pay more to have a single knob. I used to have a preamp with independent L/R volume pots, and I got rid of it for precisely that reason.

Of course, what I really want to know is how any of the above will drive the TakeT H2s. ;D

Will the new series of HeadAmp stat amps have one volume knob, or two? I, for one, would pay more to have a single knob. I used to have a preamp with independent L/R volume pots, and I got rid of it for precisely that reason.

Of course, what I really want to know is how any of the above will drive the TakeT H2s. ;D

Are there not significant sonic gains to be made from using a separate cermet stepped pot for each channel? Half the distortion, or double the transparency, or however you want to phrase it.

It would be a single volume control. Likely a quad stepped attenuator, although I'll look into a pot as well.

Only the Blue Hawaii SE can drive the TakeT H2. The KGSS would work with some mods including paralleling the output devices, but this would be a different PCB, different chassis, different power supply...I can't see an amp exclusively for TakeT H2 as a possibility, because it would cost 3x as much as the phones - already same price as KGBH SE - and I'd need at least 15 who want one

It would be a single volume control. Likely a quad stepped attenuator, although I'll look into a pot as well.

Only the Blue Hawaii SE can drive the TakeT H2. The KGSS would work with some mods including paralleling the output devices, but this would be a different PCB, different chassis, different power supply...I can't see an amp exclusively for TakeT H2 as a possibility, because it would cost 3x as much as the phones - already same price as KGBH SE - and I'd need at least 15 who want one

Unless someone pays 15x the price of a KGBH SE :laugh:

Justin, do you build the stepped attenuators in house or are they custom built by some other company? Single volume control would be great, although that's one less knob. Could you possibly do a single volume control with adjustable L & R like the Stax amps? Would it work with stepped attenuators?

Spritzer, I saved some pictures of your KGBH before Head-Fi went down. It's damn gorgeous.

Unless someone pays 15x the price of a KGBH SE :laugh:

Justin, do you build the stepped attenuators in house or are they custom built by some other company? Single volume control would be great, although that's one less knob. Could you possibly do a single volume control with adjustable L & R like the Stax amps? Would it work with stepped attenuators?

Spritzer, I saved some pictures of your KGBH before Head-Fi went down. It's damn gorgeous.

Producing a split L&R level control with the ELMA switches isn't possible AFAIK but it could be possible with some other switches. Shalco maybe?

The KGBH sure is pretty but it really needs a quad RK50 pot... ;D