Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

This is da bomb, isn't it? 800asdfstatsrulexu6.jpg

G08, T1, O2, KGBH, 313, Gamma Pros?

quad RK50 pot costs... $4k already? >:D

How did I manage to fit four questions (including this one) into a single post? ???:P

Hehe didn't see your post. Funny that we both used the same picture as I had to dig around on my server to find it. ;D+

Those are my very beautiful NOS Sigma Pro's. My first Gamma Pro's were mailed to me today...

The RK50 cost around 1000 Euro's but it's worth it.

Justin... ;)

Hehe. O0

Those are my very beautiful NOS Sigma Pro's. My first Gamma Pro's were mailed to me today...

That looks beautiful indeed. :)

The RK50 cost around 1000 Euro's but it's worth it.

Worth it, aye? Nice. :D You got one in your amp? :o

Nope but I have borrowed one from a friend to try out. Massive beasts. It's the same that Headroom uses in their amps if you don't want the steppers (and pay the premium)

Hmm, I've always wondered how much each of those costs for HeadRoom.

Hmm, I've always wondered how much each of those costs for HeadRoom.

I think the upgrade was something like 1200$ over the stepped attenuators but I'm not sure. They can be found for about 900? and the 2 deck units for 400?.

Whats so good about it? Im pretty clueless as to the pot/attn/whatever.

It sounds cleaner then anything I've ever heard. The RK27 is very grainy and colored by comparison and so are the DACT steppers. For me it's mostly that I can't deal with the steps as there is never the right volume level and that gets old really fast.

Spritzer, the caps in your BH are the same as the ones in the KGSS DX right?

Yes, they are Black Gates WKZ caps. If you have to use electrolytics then they are on the short list of candidates.

The DACT steppers are outstanding... one of the better $300 investments out there. Dr Gilmore did not steer wrong here, given that I just couldn't nut up on some Penny & Giles.

http://www.goldpt.com/prices.html

The DACT is the only choice at it's price level though you could maybe buy a switch and do it cheaper but it's so much more work. The next step is P&G then there is the RK50 and a Shalco fitted with some esoteric resistors like Riken or AN Tantalum.

Hmmm, I've always been told that series attenuators are the least desirable due to the fact that as you step up you add more and more resistors to the signal path. Anyone care to comment on that?
I don't believe the Goldpoints are series attenuators, what makes you think this?

Zip ]

That still brings back weird feelings when I look at the inside. :)

-Alex-

As well it should - it has been almost a year since I torched those 2sa1968s ***, and if only you'd get after yours, with the pretty case... :-)

** OK, I had excess thermal grease on the mounting bracket, shook out some metal shavings in the case, which stuck to the grease, and cheesy-POOF!, out burned 7 of the 2sa1968, and other assorted parts. Alex troubleshot, fixed, and did a beautiful job of routing all the wire. Again, another DIY public humiliation for me that somehow came out, and traumatized Alex. Oh, MillettMax - Opus DAC incoming...

I don't believe the Goldpoints are series attenuators, what makes you think this?

This:

Precision 0.1% resistors are used on our standard Mini-V series type stepped attenuators.

and this:

Goldpoint Level Controls used to offer Ladder and Shunt type stepped attenuators too. The fact is that with the very low noise, 0.1%, thin film resistors now used on our standard Mini-V stepped attenuators, we believe that there is no real advantage to Ladders and Shunts - and so have ceased offering them.

I saw that first bit, but read it as 'Mini-V series', as in the Mini-V series of attenuators. That second bit I did not see. :)

I wonder if the Singlepower stepper I use is series, ladder or shunt?

It seems that second quoted paragraph answers your question though, at least from Goldpoints position.

As well it should - it has been almost a year since I torched those 2sa1968s ***, and if only you'd get after yours, with the pretty case... :-)

** OK, I had excess thermal grease on the mounting bracket, shook out some metal shavings in the case, which stuck to the grease, and cheesy-POOF!, out burned 7 of the 2sa1968, and other assorted parts. Alex troubleshot, fixed, and did a beautiful job of routing all the wire. Again, another DIY public humiliation for me that somehow came out, and traumatized Alex. Oh, MillettMax - Opus DAC incoming...

Those mistakes are there to learn from. I've blown up 1 KGSS board and a PSU all because I soldered in the wrong resistor in the wrong place. It was really impressive when it went up in smoke... :o