Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

2 minutes ago, TMoney said:

Commission one of your students to build it for you?

I've built three of them. The grease is there for a reason. It can make a bit of a mess but nothing you can't clean up.

How do you get all the grease off everything once it's built?    You also can get grease of of rugs/carpet. 

I don't think you understand that I am not going to be convinced that all the grease is going to be completely cleaned out of the rods when it is finished.  I'll always think of it as dirty.  That is just how I am.  I know some people don't care but I do.  If I would have known, I would haven never ordered it. 

I also don't have time right now to build it and spend hours cleaning up the giant mess. 

Jeff's method is looking good right now. 

Edited by shellylh

11 hours ago, shellylh said:

The legs I have on my shelf are 9" tall (I have the Sanus AFAB).  Sanus sells these 12" legs for the Euro Series.  I wonder if they will work with my rack.  They looks similar to the ones I have except they are black and not shiny. 

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/racks/efp12/

The people at Sanus said they are different and wouldn't work. :(

Yes, this might be the easiest solution. 

I am concerned about there being too much humidity in the BHSE with a plastic cover over it (this is Houston not California) because of the lack of air flow.  For those that have plastic dust covers on their turntables and live in a humidish environment, is this a problem?  I am guessing that humidity is worse than dust for electronics!  

47 minutes ago, shellylh said:

Yes, this might be the easiest solution. 

I am concerned about there being too much humidity in the BHSE with a plastic cover over it (this is Houston not California) because of the lack of air flow.  For those that have plastic dust covers on their turntables and live in a humidish environment, is this a problem?  I am guessing that humidity is worse than dust for electronics!  

I'm in the UK - and maybe it is not as humid as Florida, say, but for a decent part of the year we are close to the triple point of water.  No problems with any electronics I have had ever.  Including BH (non-SE) and T2.

Outside currently 10C and 67%RH

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

Why forget the plastic cover?  Also, do you mean it is *in* your house which has AC.  I try to keep the relative humidity below 50% but it is tough at certain times of the year, especially when I go out of town. I think my old house definitely used to get in the mid-65% sometimes. 

Edited by shellylh

I didn't use a plastic cover in my old place and wouldn't usually use one but there is some serious white powder/dust that accumulates in this place (most likely due to the concrete ceilings).  I guess I could just try to blow out the amp every once in a while.  I'm not sure how much harm dust/powder can cause (a short or just more heat)? Is there anything that it could do to cause a problem where I hurt my hearing long term? 

Edited by shellylh

If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm not sure humidity under a small (relative to the rest of the apartment) dust cover would amount to much.  It's not like the humidity will get trapped in there by the humidity equivalent of a Maxwell's Demon or anything -- as much humidity departs as enters if it's not hermetically sealed, and if you had it on recently when you put the cover on, it'll probably be less humid in the vicinity of the amp than elsewhere in the apartment.

Heck, it was probably exposed to more humidity in Justin's workshop in swampy ol' Virginia while it was being built than at your place.

I thought you all had dry heat?  And by you all, I mean West of the Mississippi (and East of the ...whatever mountains that stop the humidity rolling off of the Pacific -- I know it doesn't take much, my sister used to work East of the bay, and it was basically desert there).

• Like 1

if someone like Justin or Birgir or Mark or Nate someone else that knows about electronics says that there is no way that dust or white powder in the amp can cause damage, I'd be thrilled to put it  on the top shelf with no cover and listen to the beautiful beautiful music. 

Dusty: I believe you have never been to Houston or anywhere on the gulf coast of Texas in the summer.  It is definitely more humid here than DC or Virginia!  While West Texas is very dry, our weather or more similar to New Orleans or Baton Rouge.   All of the humidity comes from the warm Gulf waters. 

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/most-humid-cities.php

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, shellylh said:

Dusty: I believe you have never been to Houston or anywhere on the gulf coast of Texas in the summer.  It is definitely more humid here than DC or Virginia!  While West Texas is very dry, our weather or more similar to New Orleans or Baton Rouge.   All of the humidity comes from the warm Gulf waters. 

Ah, I stand corrected.  That does sound more humid than I was thinking.  Still not sure how much it'd affect a BHSE if you kept it covered most of the time, if you're not keeping it outside.  A/C naturally takes a lot of moisture out of the air.

Shelly, my idea was that you'd put your BHSE on the top shelf and acquire the cloth cover of your choice.  I'd just use a large enough cotton towel but you could choose whatever suits you.  When the BHSE is on, the cover is off.  When you are done listening to the BHSE, let the tubes cool a bit.  I'd think that 5 minutes would be enough.  Then dust the BHSE and cover with the cloth until the next listening session.

This solution is simple, effective and easy to execute.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, guzziguy said:

I can't say that no amount of dust that can accumulate in a couple of year can do harm. If you dust it regularly and open it up to vacuum it once a year (or two), I believe that no harm would come to it.

I'd use the cover as I'm too lazy to do the dusting and vacuuming. :)

i agree, no harm in leaving it exposed if you will eventually clean it

• Like 4

Because the BHSE [ IMO ] is a very nice looking amp, covering it with a pillow case was/is stopping from seeing it's beauty.

So after seeing it mentioned on this thread, I've just ordered an Acrylic Display Cover to the measurements required.

In using a display cover means I'll have to put the BHSE  [ amp section only ] on the top shelf of my audio rack, but I was eventually going to be doing that anyway.