Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

It's dry and I'm listening.   Maybe I should shave my head so I don't have to wait in the future. :)

I have had the BHSE on for several hours and I noticed that the underside of the top shelf is really warm (the shelf above is only about 3/4" above the BHSE).  Can a lot of heat make the shelf above become weaker (so that it cannot handle as much weight without cracking/collapsing).  I was trying to avoid putting the BHSE on the top shelf because of fine white dust in the apartment.   I don't really have much on the shelf right now but might but the BHSE on it in the future if I buy another place without concrete ceilings. 

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

Hmm, just saw this post from Justin on HF: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/1830#post_8348709

"for testing I stack the BHSEs on 3 shelves (see a pic several pages back or at www.facebook.com/HeadAmp) which are spaced about 16" apart and there's no difference in temperature between the amps on the 3 shelves.  so i would recommend at least 8" of air above the tubes if the amp is on a middle shelf"

No.   I can buy another rack.   I can buy a fan and point it at the BHSE when it is on. 

I just felt the top of the top rack and it is even hot.  Hmm. 

Edit: I've always liked the look of the Salamander rack (the spacing between racks with 3 shelves is probably around 12 inches, I have 9 inches right now). 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMA3

Edited by shellylh

6 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

That shelf looks easy to make;

Four theaded M25 rods 1500mm or so

20 x M25 nuts

8 x M25 domed end cap bolts 

3 Marine plywood shelves 25mm thick

Find a local wood shop would cut and drill the shelves if you don't have the gear.

No way I'm DIYing a shelf that holds the BHSE.  I am seriously lacking in building skills.

11 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

That shelf looks easy to make;

Four theaded M25 rods 1500mm or so

20 x M25 nuts

8 x M25 domed end cap bolts 

3 Marine plywood shelves 25mm thick

Find a local wood shop would cut and drill the shelves if you don't have the gear.

Isn't that the recipe for...dang, I forget the name of it now.  The DIY shelf that all the DIYers here put together one.

EDIT:  v Yes, what grawk says.  "Flexy".

I made a rack very much like this many years back, with white top laminated MDF shelves.  I added plastic washers so the nuts wouldn't mark the shelves as badly.

I also only used 3 rods, as I liked the tripod balancing (and less holes to drill); even though the back rod would in theory be in the way of the wires, it wasn't bad at all.  I did end up putting foam pipe wraps around the back rod, though, so wires wouldn't rub and scratch on the threading.

All in all, was not that difficult to do!  Gave it away when I moved to our new house, but often thought about making another......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shellylh said:

No.   I can buy another rack.   I can buy a fan and point it at the BHSE when it is on. 

I just felt the top of the top rack and it is even hot.  Hmm. 

Edit: I've always liked the look of the Salamander rack (the spacing between racks with 3 shelves is probably around 12 inches, I have 9 inches right now). 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMA3

You will have to assemble that rack.

16 minutes ago, tyrion said:

f56342ab56342dd0e5f4b52ac6ad21a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the setup at your house Mike? 

I'd put the BHSE on the second shelf, the BHSE PS and Apex Peak/Volcano on the bottom shelf and the PS AUdio PWD MKII on top.  Do you think it would be too top heavy like that (the PWD MKII is pretty heavy).