Luxman D-08

aardvark baguette

I'm going to be upgrading my SACD playback soon.

I've taken an interest in this player. Looks like it offers native DSD, which is what I want.

More interested in that than getting 20 playback combinations from the Esoteric.

I realize this has digital input and no USB, but I dont currently give a damn about computer based playback, I like just grabbing a disc these days.

I doubt anyone has actually heard the thing, but I'm just asking if anyone sees anything that should make this instantly disqualified when only considering sound quality and build/design quality.

I dont know we can tell if the balanced output is done 'correctly' from the pics or not.

I don't know the merit of their ODNF circuit and if that would pertain to the above.

d08_3.jpg

D08_DAC_top_small.jpg

copy text from OAHN

Digital Converter & Analogue Output Stage .

Dual-configured (monaural mode) PCM1792A manufactured by Texas Instruments are used for the Digital Analogue Converter (DAC), which has achieved an ultra-high signal-noise ratio/dynamic range (theoretical value: 132dB).

• The jitter reduction function is provided to decrease the jitter from the system clock (70 x 10–12 sec. or less, approx. 1/100 ps compared with conventional counterparts).

• For the analogue output section, the ODNF circuitry originally found in our high-end amplifiers has been introduced into a digital music player for the first time. LUXMAN have inserted the knife into the error detection amplifier section that is the keystone of the circuit, and Introduced 3-parallel differential input FET, which has achieved 1/10,000 level of distortion rate resulting in the major ODNF version upgrade to 3.0.

• The differential output of the DAC is fed to the ODNF circuit that has a fully differential balanced configuration (identically configured amplifier x 4 units) integrated in a discrete manner after I-V conversion, and drives the output amplifier in the next stage vigorously with low impedance.

• In the analog circuit, there is no independent output filter block, but band processing is gradually (primary filter x 3 pieces) implemented in the ODNF circuit. Therefore, higher resolution, natural analog waveforms can be reproduced.

• Stable and high inertia power is supplied from the audio-specific power transformer to each circuit through the regulator and block capacitor with a large capacity allocated to each circuit.

Was also kind of looking at the dCS puccini, but I dont think I want to bother with that dealer network when I can just get the Luxman from Todd out of state easy peasy.